Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

In May of 2002 my brother and I built up 2 bikes after a good few years of biking.

I built an Intense Tracer with Fox Vanilla Forx and Float rear, XT/XTR and Raceface finishing kit, Hope Minis. My brothers bike has the same kind of finishing kit but it is a Santa Cruz Bullit with a 5th Element rear shock and RS Psylo SL forks.

Due to an injury and a change in circumstances the bikes did no more than 50 miles before being garaged and not ridden until last weekend. Our plan is to get 'bike' fit again and pick up where we left off.

My question is this:-

Are our bikes/kit still okay or has stuff moved on massively since then? Are there bits we should upgrade that will make a difference or should we exchange them for 06 bikes?
As an idea, I like the sound of the pro-pedal on the fox float.

I would really appreciate your input as it's a bit like starting all over again.

Thanks

Bulky (Pete)

·
Registered
559 Posts
yes things have changed...........

Yes things have changed alot. Over the last two to three years the whole industry has moved drasticly. However, it seems like you still have very competive parts/build kit at your finger tips. Your frame is still great and would be even better with a pro pedal. The only thing that I would reconsider is you race face stuff. If you want top of the line I would look somwere else like fsa (full speed ahead) or even easton. Race Face does make great mid range stuff like the diablo stem, xc cranks etc. But other companies have come along and made huge strides in product development. (like fsa)

Bulky said:
Hi all

In May of 2002 my brother and I built up 2 bikes after a good few years of biking.

I built an Intense Tracer with Fox Vanilla Forx and Float rear, XT/XTR and Raceface finishing kit, Hope Minis. My brothers bike has the same kind of finishing kit but it is a Santa Cruz Bullit with a 5th Element rear shock and RS Psylo SL forks.

Due to an injury and a change in circumstances the bikes did no more than 50 miles before being garaged and not ridden until last weekend. Our plan is to get 'bike' fit again and pick up where we left off.

My question is this:-

Are our bikes/kit still okay or has stuff moved on massively since then? Are there bits we should upgrade that will make a difference or should we exchange them for 06 bikes?
As an idea, I like the sound of the pro-pedal on the fox float.

I would really appreciate your input as it's a bit like starting all over again.

Thanks

Bulky (Pete)

·
Registered
696 Posts
If they worked well in '02 when they got hung up, they'll work well today. I wouldn't take the hit of depreciation unless I had to. Meaning, unless your skill level has increased and you've outgrown them, or your riding terrain has changed due to a move or something which would require a different type of bike, I would just ride your current bikes until the wheels fell off.

Ian
Austin, TX

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Don't change a thing

With only 50 miles on the bikes, I would ride them as-is until something breaks or wears out (unless of course you have money to burn). I would keep an eye on the seals on the forks, the hydraulic lines, or anything else that might be succeptible to breaking down over time. Could be that there's no issue to be concerned with at all, but that's all I can think of in terms of adverse effects of time on bike components.

Ride 'em and enjoy.

Bob

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
With only 50 miles on the bikes, I would ride them as-is until something breaks or wears out (unless of course you have money to burn). I would keep an eye on the seals on the forks, the hydraulic lines, or anything else that might be succeptible to breaking down over time. Could be that there's no issue to be concerned with at all, but that's all I can think of in terms of adverse effects of time on bike components.

Ride 'em and enjoy.

Bob
I also agree. If you want to be sure that the bikes are in a good condition, just take them to a LBS to service, make sure the seals, tires and cables are OK. Don't let them say that you should upgrade anything, unless it's broken. Maybe just service (I think they change the cables, regrease a lot of stuff that needs to).

·
Registered
559 Posts
I as well agree with the other threads

I also agree with the other threads. I only mentioned the race face swap because I assumed that you would want to try new stuff thats hot and on the market.

GOAT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your responses,

Pretty much what I thought too.

The only real thing to change since last riding is my now sizeable girth (not in a good way) and my total lack of leg fitness.

I'm sure it'll all come flooding back.

Thanks again

Bulky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.