Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just cleaned out my hub and re-greased it and I was wondering if the bearing bolt should be as sensitive as it is. It will go from too loose to absolutely perfect to too tight in about an 8th of a revolution. Does this sound right? It does have a spot were it spins perfect and has no play but it seems like it might be a challenge to get the locking nut tight enough while keeping the bearing bolt at the perfect spot. Also how tight should the locking nut be?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
To really mess you up, just remember the skewer will also compress things enough to cause a change in bearing preload.

To tighten properly, i simply go a tad too tight (careful not to pit the races) and then back off the preload nut so it tightens against the locknut.

·
Registered
14,851 Posts
What kind of hub? Sealed bearings are usually less sensitive but cup and cone types are kind of picky. If you have one of those you need to get the adjusting cone just right and lock the locknut tightly against it holding the cone in place with a thin cone wrench. This can still change the adjustment so check again after tightening them together.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Yes, you need just a tiny bit of movement in the bearing when the wheel is off the bike. Then check when the skewer is tight and the movement should be gone.
It's a tricky setting, lots of trial and error.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts