Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
rth009
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned and greased my DT 350 hub a few weeks ago. When I opened it up, I saw that the edge of the freehub body looked like this. I cleaned and greased it, and put it back together, and it works fine, but I'm wondering if I shouldl get a new freehub body. Note the "teeth" on the edge. Thoughts?

·
rth009
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And if I need to replace the freehub body, and I will to ensure this hub doesn't fail and put this bike out of commission, can I get any DT 350 freehub body with an XD driver? The hub is a 150mm DH hub but Im using it on a Superboost 157 bike with SRAM cassettes.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
349 Posts
No it should not look like that. It appears it has been damaged. Assuming DT will not warranty that, I would clean up the edge and remove any of the metal chips and keep running it. The internal splines used to retain the star ratchet appear to be fine but you don't want to be grinding chips while riding as that will just wear out the rotating elements much faster.

Contact DT Swiss and show them the pics. It could be a machining defect from the factory.

·
rth009
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it should not look like that. It appears it has been damaged. Assuming DT will not warranty that, I would clean up the edge and remove any of the metal chips and keep running it. The internal splines used to retain the star ratchet appear to be fine but you don't want to be grinding chips while riding as that will just wear out the rotating elements much faster.

Contact DT Swiss and show them the pics. It could be a machining defect from the factory.
I purchased this second hand and its pretty old. I don't think it owes me anything so I'll just get a new one.

Thanks, all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.