Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I used to do a lot of BMXing as a kid, but since then I've mainly jut done laps around the park on an asphalt road (Centennial park, Sydney). But I would love to get back into offroad stuff and thus with my new bike, I want something that I can use for both reasonably comfortable road biking but also take off road.

1) I was considering the Giant Yukon 05 ($A700 which is $US550) and Giant Iguana 05 ($A1150 which is $US900). My first questions: while the Iguana has better components, there's no way I should pay this much extra for it over the Yukon, right?

I see that different countries have different configurations so FYI the Iguana in Sydney comes with Hayes Sole hydraulic brakes while the Yukon comes with Mechanical disc brakes.

2) Now assuming that it is a no-brainer to get the Yukon, my second question is whether it is worth waiting for the Yukon 06 to come out or should I look at GT.

The reason I'm after a new bike is because my old Mongoose got stolen and I have credit at a LBS. But they have run out out Yukon 05s and until their 06 range comes in, the only alternative are GT bikes in the same category. I know little about GT, their website seems to show an appropriate bike called the Chucker 1.0 with mechanical discs (though I remember the one at the LBS has V-brakes)

3) Last question: the LBS said that I only really need hydraulic brakes if I'm in the rain a lot, and that they take less maintenance because you only bleed them every now and then - whereas for mechanical disc brakes you may need to repalce the cable more often. I've been told V-brakes aren't really worth it. Thoughts?

Any help very much appreciated.

Y2K
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Buy the Iguana

I'd say the Iguana definitely has the advantage over the Yukon. I believe the frame geometry is different, and the upgraded components are such that you probably couldn't upgrade the Yukon to spec out like the Iguana for the difference you would pay between the two. If your heart is set on the Yukon, then wait, but you run the risk of Giant "dumbing down" the specs on the '06 Yukon to keep the price down, or paying more for the same bike next year as a result of a price increase.

All in all, I say the Iguana is definitely the bike to buy.

Clyde
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,992 Posts
y2k said:
Hi guys,
I used to do a lot of BMXing as a kid, but since then I've mainly jut done laps around the park on an asphalt road (Centennial park, Sydney). But I would love to get back into offroad stuff and thus with my new bike, I want something that I can use for both reasonably comfortable road biking but also take off road.

1) I was considering the Giant Yukon 05 ($A700 which is $US550) and Giant Iguana 05 ($A1150 which is $US900). My first questions: while the Iguana has better components, there's no way I should pay this much extra for it over the Yukon, right?

I see that different countries have different configurations so FYI the Iguana in Sydney comes with Hayes Sole hydraulic brakes while the Yukon comes with Mechanical disc brakes.

2) Now assuming that it is a no-brainer to get the Yukon, my second question is whether it is worth waiting for the Yukon 06 to come out or should I look at GT.

The reason I'm after a new bike is because my old Mongoose got stolen and I have credit at a LBS. But they have run out out Yukon 05s and until their 06 range comes in, the only alternative are GT bikes in the same category. I know little about GT, their website seems to show an appropriate bike called the Chucker 1.0 with mechanical discs (though I remember the one at the LBS has V-brakes)

3) Last question: the LBS said that I only really need hydraulic brakes if I'm in the rain a lot, and that they take less maintenance because you only bleed them every now and then - whereas for mechanical disc brakes you may need to repalce the cable more often. I've been told V-brakes aren't really worth it. Thoughts?

Any help very much appreciated.

Y2K
Nothing wrong with an Iguana at all. A very good bike fo rthe price point. They have no more 05's? Odd. 05's have barely been out yet..... and the 06 stuff is probably 6 months away at the EARLIEST. probably more like 8 or 9 months. Press the issue with the LBS.

Discs are the future of mountain biking. Either Avid mechs, or some other hydraulics....

TJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, iguana is good, but is it worth $A450 more than the yukon?

hi guys, are the upgraded componentry really worth the extra $450 though?

What do you think of GTs?

006_007 said:
Nothing wrong with an Iguana at all. A very good bike fo rthe price point. They have no more 05's? Odd. 05's have barely been out yet..... and the 06 stuff is probably 6 months away at the EARLIEST. probably more like 8 or 9 months. Press the issue with the LBS.

Discs are the future of mountain biking. Either Avid mechs, or some other hydraulics....

TJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
y2k said:
hi guys, are the upgraded componentry really worth the extra $450 though?

What do you think of GTs?
That seems like a big price difference between the two. Last season I bought an '05 Iguana for $750 Canadian. The Yukon was probably selling for ~$600, possibly a bit less. See if the LBS will give you a better deal on the Iguana. It is a much nicer spec than the Yukon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iguana price could be $1000

turdferguson79 said:
That seems like a big price difference between the two. Last season I bought an '05 Iguana for $750 Canadian. The Yukon was probably selling for ~$600, possibly a bit less. See if the LBS will give you a better deal on the Iguana. It is a much nicer spec than the Yukon.
Guys I should have mentioned that it's about $1000 with mechanical disc brakes, and $1150 with the hydraulics. assuming I go with the mechanicals, is the $300 difference justified? In particular is there really a big diff between the Drive train, brake levers (Iguana has a Deore for the back) and fork?

if the Iguana is just too expensive in Australia, how decent is the Rincon as an option? I do want to do a bit of off roading at some point, although mainly I will be riding on roads - but I don't want a half-a$$ed hybrid. Will the Rincon be able to grow with me? I know you can't mount disc brakes on the back...
 

·
Phil from San Diego
Joined
·
581 Posts
I bought my 04 Yukon for $400US 4 months ago. I haven't seen the 05 Yukons in any of the bike shops yet.. weird. But I think the 05 Yukon retails for around $470US.

Either bikes are more expensive in australia or they come with better components then listed on Giant's web site?

For your purposes, it sounds like the Yukon would fit your needs till you grow into the sport and want to do more off road rides.

I wouldn't buy the Iguana for $900US though... I was in Performance Bike last night and they had the Giant XTC on sale for $895US! I forget if it was a 04 or 05. But anyway, maybe do a bit of shopping around local or online. For your $560, you could probably get an Iguana and for $900, the XTC... not sure what the charges are for international shipping.


Phil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, in case you are wondering what the diff is between the Yukon and Iguana specs are here in Australia (haven't got all of the Yukon's specs), the Iguana has:

2005 XtC geometry frame with integrated head tube (seems the same to me??)
Rockshox Judy TT 80mm travel fork
27 speed SRAM X-7 triggers and rear derailleur
TruVativ Comp G 27 speed crank set w/replaceable chain rings
Shimano M475 cable discs or Hayes Sole Hydraulic disc option

So there you go - are these diffs worth an extra $300 (mech disc) or $450 (hydro brakes)

y2K

PS More complete specs below:
Iguana
FrameL ALUXX XtC geometry, integrated gusset (what does this mean?)
Fork: RockShox Judy TT 80mm (heard mixed opinions on this)
F Derailleur: Shimmy alivio
R. Derailleur: SRAM X-7 9 speed
Crank: TruVativ Comp-G 9 sp 22x32x42T
Shifters: SRAM X-7 27 speed trigger shifters
Cassette: SRAM PG 9550 9 speed 11-34T
Chain: Deore 9 speed
Hubs: Shimmy M475 disc 32H
Rims: alloy double wall 32H
Sokes: stainless
Tyres; Hutchinson Scoprion 26 by 2 inch
Brakes: Shimmy M475 mech disc ($A1000 bike) or Hayes Sole Hydraulic disc ($A1150 bike
B.levers: Avid FR-1
H.Bar/stem: alloy riser bar/new Giant 1 1/8 ahead stem)

Yukon:
Aluxx Extra Light alloy FluidFormed Frame with Giant XTC performance geometry
TruVative Iso Flow cranks
Fork: SR XCP75 pre-load adjustable Mag forks 75mm travel
Shimmy Acera Front derailleur
Shimano Deore rear derailleur
24sp
Hayes MX2 mech disc brakes

Prexus2005 said:
I bought my 04 Yukon for $400US 4 months ago. I haven't seen the 05 Yukons in any of the bike shops yet.. weird. But I think the 05 Yukon retails for around $470US.

Either bikes are more expensive in australia or they come with better components then listed on Giant's web site?

For your purposes, it sounds like the Yukon would fit your needs till you grow into the sport and want to do more off road rides.

I wouldn't buy the Iguana for $900US though... I was in Performance Bike last night and they had the Giant XTC on sale for $895US! I forget if it was a 04 or 05. But anyway, maybe do a bit of shopping around local or online. For your $560, you could probably get an Iguana and for $900, the XTC... not sure what the charges are for international shipping.

Phil.
 

·
Freshly Fujified
Joined
·
8,199 Posts
Last thoughts on the subject

Sounds to me like you really want the Yukon, and there's nothing wrong with that. I owned an older Yukon, and almost bought an '04 Yukon, but chose the Warp instead. As for the difference in $300 between the two, here's what I see as the major differences for what it's worth:

Fork-Suntour vs RS Judy-Judy is the better shock, but you'll end up replacing either fork IMO

Cranks-Can't say that I know enough about the two to give an opinion, except that the replacable chain rings is a nice feature, so long as the crank arms and spider are still in good shape when you replace the chain rings. Truvative makes some nice cranks, so either should be decent.

Shifters and rear derailleur-This is IMO, a major upgrade. My guess would be the Yukon has either Alivio or Deore shifters to match the Deore rear derailleur. The Iguana has X-7 shifters and rear derailleur, which is a significant upgrade in drive train. I would say that for comparison sake, the X-7 falls between Shimano's LX and XT.

Brakes-let's compare apples to apples and assume you would go with the Shimano mechanicals if you were to buy the Iguana. In general, you have a wash here, IMO. No real effect if you're asking which product (Hayes or Shimano) is better.

Frame design-The Iguana has the addition of a gusset, which is basically a brace that is welded/brazed where tubing comes together and makes for a stronger frame.

Bottom line, either bike is a good choice. Having been down this road before, I say buy the bike that has the best componentry that you can afford. In this instance, I would say that if you bought the Iguana, it's highly unlikely that you'll look back on the purchase and say "I really bought too much bike for my intended purpose". On the other hand, the Yukon is a decent bike. My vote in the end, however, remains the Iguana.

Good luck in your decision, and get out and ride!

Clyde
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top