Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help with this decision. I have 3 mtb bikes in my current inventory.

1) Titus Racer X (2003 model)
2) Redline Monocog Flight
3) GT Hardtail

Last year I spent 80% of my time on my cheap Redline SS and loved it. Since I've gotten the SS bug I've been looking to upgrade to something a bit better riding but with a wife and 2 kids I'll get shot if I spend more money on a another new bike. Here's the offer I was made by my LBS. My Racer X for his Gunner Ruffian SS plus he'll throw in a new American Classic or Stan's SS wheel set. My Titus is in perfect shape, all SRAM X-9 with XT cranks, Manitou Black fork, King HS, Bontrager Racelite Tubeless wheelset, and Thompson Stem and Seat post. The Gunner is pretty much the same with XTR Brakes, King HS, steel fork (would prefer ti), Thomson post and Stem, custom paint on the frame and in nice shape also.

Is this a good trade or am I being stupid? I figure with the new wheelset I could have a pretty nice riding SS in the 18 lb. range. My Redline comes in at 20 as it sits and I can't upgrade the wheels due to the 110 rear spacing. I've got the GT should I ever need to use a geared bike and I'll most likely keep the Red Line for around town use and mud slug type rides. Let me know what you think?
Thanks,
Pete

·
Combat Wombat
1,874 Posts
Seems to be a common problem.

Peteo said:
Need some help with this decision. I have 3 mtb bikes in my current inventory.

1) Titus Racer X (2003 model)
2) Redline Monocog Flight
3) GT Hardtail

Last year I spent 80% of my time on my cheap Redline SS and loved it. Since I've gotten the SS bug I've been looking to upgrade to something a bit better riding but with a wife and 2 kids I'll get shot if I spend more money on a another new bike. Here's the offer I was made by my LBS. My Racer X for his Gunner Ruffian SS plus he'll throw in a new American Classic or Stan's SS wheel set. My Titus is in perfect shape, all SRAM X-9 with XT cranks, Manitou Black fork, King HS, Bontrager Racelite Tubeless wheelset, and Thompson Stem and Seat post. The Gunner is pretty much the same with XTR Brakes, King HS, steel fork (would prefer ti), Thomson post and Stem, custom paint on the frame and in nice shape also.

Is this a good trade or am I being stupid? I figure with the new wheelset I could have a pretty nice riding SS in the 18 lb. range. My Redline comes in at 20 as it sits and I can't upgrade the wheels due to the 110 rear spacing. I've got the GT should I ever need to use a geared bike and I'll most likely keep the Red Line for around town use and mud slug type rides. Let me know what you think?
Thanks,
Pete
I have lately been catching myself wondering how much I could get for my FS rig in order to fund a new SS. The Gunnar sounds pretty nice, although I really do not know what it is worth. You said it has a steel fork, exactly what kind? A Vicious Cycles or a Surly for example? A world of difference in steel forks. Also what kind of crank? The one thing I would try to change in that deal straight off would be the wheels he is offering you. American Classics would be the last wheelset I would choose and do not know just how good the Stan's really are. I would try to swing a deal with something built up with Hope hubs. Of course the biggest thing to consider in this deal, how does it ride? I too am curious to see what others think of this deal.

Brian

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My option on the wheels

Not sure on the crank but I believe it's a Race Face. I can pick what I want for a wheel set as long as it's in the $600 price range which is what Stan's and American Classics run. I have no experience with Stan's but have been running AC Sprint 350's on my road bike for the past two years and they have been flawless. I've only had to true the front wheel once which is remarkable since I live in pot hole heaven in Michigan's UP. Both are light which is appealing to me but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Pete

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Does the SS fit you. I know that you can change stems, seatpost,.....etc. I think proper fit of the frame itself is more important on a SS due to the fact that any innefficiency due to bad fit is a bad thing. But if it fits and you don't mind trading (Racer-X sounds sweet) Then go for it. I would think that a good wheelset like DT Swiss could be built up for the same money as the AC's or the Stans wheels

·
Registered
160 Posts
Search your soul....

I can relate. I'm married with a kid and shellin' out greenbacks can be hard to justify. I was fortunate enough to turn 40 last spring..... My wife let me buy my Soulcraft SS for my B-Day. I doubt I have ridden my dually more than 10 times since.... If I were you, I'd consider partin' out your Racer X and sellin' it all on e-bay. You get a lot more by piece price than you would for the whole thing. Then you can spec out and build up exactly what you want. 'Cause this might just be your last new bike for a while.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fit

The frame is almost the same size as my Redline which I like the feel of. They all have a longer top tube which I prefer as I'd rather be stretched out. I guess the good thing is that I don't have to make a decision until spring and can ride it before making a decision. I was wondering if the trade makes sense money wise or am I giving up to much in the deal?

Pete

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
If you're sure you want to get rid of the Titus...

Sell it on MTBR by the part for more $ (or whole to save time). Use the cash for a high end wheelset like Kings to some DT Swiss rims and leave the rest of the cash in paypal to use for other upgrades for the SS as needed.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I wouldn't make that trade - its nice to have options in the toolbox - if you get rid of the titus you'll have 2 ss's and a hardtail. If I were you I'd look at unloading the GT and the Redline for a higher end singlespeed - haro mary, on-one inbred ish.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Think about it some more

I agree with crankpuller. Assess yourself and ask if you are ever going to hit those really steep, boulder strewn gnarly trails again or is this it for you...ie. no more riding on unfamiliar trails that might require gears or where squish might come in handy.
If you can honestly say that you would be able to ride those other trails on a rigid singlespeed and have just as much fun, then go for it.
Riding your local terrain on a rigid singlespeed is one thing, but imagine yourself taking a rigid ss somewhere new like BC if that would ever be an option and take it from there.
I ride my ss almost 90% of the time locally, but I would never get rid of my ETSX-90 because I think that some days I am going to need it for the trails that "require" it and I want to be prepared.
Also, as you are married with 2 children, what is more likely that you will be able to replace some day?
A single speed or a FS Titus equivalent? I am thinking wifey might warm to a single speed but a new FS might be a harder sell.
Part of the joy of single speeding for me is knowing that it's usually my cheaper bike and it can't be harmed...I like that feeling sometimes.
My .02 cents..

·
donkey
263 Posts
is the gunnar one of the older style ruffians w/ the EBB, or does it have the paragon sliders? Is it disc ready/ does it have disc brakes? Instead of trying to get a 600 dollar wheel set, try to score a set of king hubs and build them on a solid set of rims... all things to consider. Pink and crankpuller both made some great points, but sometimes life is too short. Don't rack your brain over it too much, after all, having this choice is a luxury!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, contemplating upgrading from my 2002 redline. Thinking about selling my FS to help finance it and I just can't do it. I ride the redline more than the FS and I can't imagine that I would have that much more fun on a better SS frame.

I think in the end I would regret it because I like to get on the FS every once in a while and I still have too much love for the time and effort I put into that bike. You may not ever want to ride a FS again, I don't know.

I would also think that a LBS isn't going to make that trade unless he knows he's going to come out ahead on the deal. He is in it to make money after all.

Oh, and one more thing. Look into the Shimano DXR hubs for a lighter rear wheel option. I think they're supposed to hit the market in February. They won't be cheap, but they might be a quality option for the redline.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
The grass is always greener

You've got a Monocog down to 20 #'s? Must be a pretty nice build.
If I were you, and I liked the Monocog, I'd build up a wheelset with high quality BMX rear hub, and similar quality front hub and call it a day.
If that doesn't quench your thirst, you could upgrade to one of those fancy schmancy carbon forks all the kids are talking about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great Advise

Thanks for all the great advise and opinions. Everyone has made some good points and given me something to chew on for the next few months. Luckily with a foot of snow on the ground I have some time to think about it. Pinkdirt, I do agree with you on the joy of riding a cheaper SS and not having to worry about it, or better yet passing riders who think it's all the bike and not the rider. Your point is also well taken Crankpuller and makes a lot of sense.

I picked up the redline for $250 from a friend which also included a Judy Fork which I never use. I pretty much just added carbon bars, new post, and converted the stock wheels to tubeless and it does ride much better. Will the Gunnar make me any faster? No, possibly have a better ride is about all. I'll keep you guys posted to what decision I eventually make.
Thanks, Pete

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Do not be fooled...

Peteo said:
Thanks for all the great advise and opinions. Everyone has made some good points and given me something to chew on for the next few months. Luckily with a foot of snow on the ground I have some time to think about it. Pinkdirt, I do agree with you on the joy of riding a cheaper SS and not having to worry about it, or better yet passing riders who think it's all the bike and not the rider. Your point is also well taken Crankpuller and makes a lot of sense.

I picked up the redline for $250 from a friend which also included a Judy Fork which I never use. I pretty much just added carbon bars, new post, and converted the stock wheels to tubeless and it does ride much better. Will the Gunnar make me any faster? No, possibly have a better ride is about all. I'll keep you guys posted to what decision I eventually make.
Thanks, Pete
As I said above look into an upgraded wheelset if the current set is subpar. On the other hand, a high end steel frame makes a pretty big difference in the ride. At least for me it does. I've never ridden a MC but I have gone from low to high end steel frames and can tell quite a difference.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Peteo said:

Thanks, Pete
I just sold my '03 Liquid 30 (pike, deetraks blah blah) and used the cash to buy an '07 Bianchi Rita. I feel at peace.

Do what makes you smiley.

·
Got Mojo?
1,190 Posts
crankpuller said:
I wouldn't make that trade - its nice to have options in the toolbox - if you get rid of the titus you'll have 2 ss's and a hardtail. If I were you I'd look at unloading the GT and the Redline for a higher end singlespeed - haro mary, on-one inbred ish.
tozovr said:
I just sold my '03 Liquid 30 (pike, deetraks blah blah) and used the cash to buy an '07 Bianchi Rita. I feel at peace.

Do what makes you smiley.
I think that you cannot get better suggestions than what these two have to say.

BTW, think twice about that Ti fork. Steel will save your teeth. And if you are in the market for a 29er SS, then take a good long look at the Haro Mary.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Gunnars are very average in my opinion....i would keep the Titus as you may surprise yourself and want a FS bike again one day....I did, though SS is my primary ride.

On the other hand, my guess is that you would get close to nothing by selling the two hardtails you have so tough call....without seeing the complete specs of both bikes, tough call.

·
Registered
72 Posts
too much to stress over

Just keep what you have and every time you pass someone or just go out and have fun on your current rides think of the money and stress you saved yourself because we all know even though it's a trade you will be spending cash on stems and other fit oriented items. That would give me smiles. But I would love to know your build on the monocog to get it to 20#.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You all have given some great advise and I've decided to hold on to the RacerX for another year. Of course if someone was willing to pay the right price....? :)

My Monocog Flight is pretty much stock except for the following changes: Yeti carbon bar, Yeti seatpost, FSA stem, Selle Italia Flite saddle, SRAM P69 chainm and foam grips, I took the stock rims and removed the rimstrips and taped them up with packing tape to convert it to tubeless while using regular Hutchinson Python Airlights and Stan's. That put her right at 20 lbs. on the button. Remember that the flight has the aluminum frame not steel so it's already a bit lighter than the steel monogog. The RacerX is at 23 lbs. 13 oz.
I really appreciate all the great advise. I was leaning towards a trade but you all have made me see the light and realize that I'm better off just enjoying the SS I currently have.
Here's to the snow melting and Spring arriving soon!
Pete

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.