Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I know very little about bikes and someone gave me the wrong size bike saying it would fit which was the 29er hardtail 2012. I put it on craigslist for a trade and some guy wants to trade me his 2009 stumpjumper for it so his kid can have a bike.

Is this a good trade it looks good on paper. Looks like the stumpjumper doesn't have disc brakes or anything. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,120 Posts
You should also go for a straight sale at this time of year. Then reset and go for the right size bike.
The Marin Bobcat 29 on ebay is a good bike.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Long story short I know very little about bikes and someone gave me the wrong size bike saying it would fit which was the 29er hardtail 2012. I put it on craigslist for a trade and some guy wants to trade me his 2009 stumpjumper for it so his kid can have a bike.

Is this a good trade it looks good on paper. Looks like the stumpjumper doesn't have disc brakes or anything. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
That's a terrible deal, don't do it. Your bike is much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wondering why it is a bad deal could someone tell me why ...? It's blue book advertisement official retail is twice as much as mine. Also they offered giving me just the frame. Would that be a even trade that could get me the right size bike, outside of switching the frames out a stuff is the retail of both frames close enough?

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
You are moving from a bike that has last generation components to a bike that has many generations (depending on when released/bought) older components. While not necessarily a bad thing you have a bike that is current and good other than the sizing issue.

Disc brakes are a HUGE thing for these bike as there are pretty much no bikes (except very entry level) that do not come with disc brakes. Without pictures of both bikes of exact models with display of components we are not going to be able to make an accurate evaluation other than heresay.

While you would be moving from a HT to another HT, the cost to upgrade components (or in the most recent post build a bike) is going to be very cost prohibitive. I know that most of my LBS (local bike shops) will do somewhat of a trade-in if you have a decent relationship with them so that would be a better avenue than the trade you are looking at.

Finally, the hard thing with "BlueBook" is that it is an estimated value on a mint condition bike. Bikes depreciate pretty quickly once they are ridden and you have stated that the one you are looking at is not only 5yrs old but also has probably been ridden pretty hard in that time. You could get it only to find out that you have TONS of issues, think of it like buying a car that is 2ish yrs old only to trade it for a slightly better car that is 5ish yrs old with LOTS more miles and undocumented history. It is a [email protected]

EDIT: just went and looked on BikePedia and there is no 29er Stumpy offered in 2009 let alone as a HT and canti-brakes. Walk away very quickly as someone it trying to pull a quick one on you. Continue to sell your bike on CL or try the trade-in approach at your LBS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are moving from a bike that has last generation components to a bike that has many generations (depending on when released/bought) older components. While not necessarily a bad thing you have a bike that is current and good other than the sizing issue.

Disc brakes are a HUGE thing for these bike as there are pretty much no bikes (except very entry level) that do not come with disc brakes. Without pictures of both bikes of exact models with display of components we are not going to be able to make an accurate evaluation other than heresay.

While you would be moving from a HT to another HT, the cost to upgrade components (or in the most recent post build a bike) is going to be very cost prohibitive. I know that most of my LBS (local bike shops) will do somewhat of a trade-in if you have a decent relationship with them so that would be a better avenue than the trade you are looking at.

Finally, the hard thing with "BlueBook" is that it is an estimated value on a mint condition bike. Bikes depreciate pretty quickly once they are ridden and you have stated that the one you are looking at is not only 5yrs old but also has probably been ridden pretty hard in that time. You could get it only to find out that you have TONS of issues, think of it like buying a car that is 2ish yrs old only to trade it for a slightly better car that is 5ish yrs old with LOTS more miles and undocumented history. It is a [email protected]

EDIT: just went and looked on BikePedia and there is no 29er Stumpy offered in 2009 let alone as a HT and canti-brakes. Walk away very quickly as someone it trying to pull a quick one on you. Continue to sell your bike on CL or try the trade-in approach at your LBS.
Nice Answer man..it helped..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, very helpful!...I was confused about the 29er cause I saw the bike was not originally a 29er when looking it up but he assured me it was. Thank for some confirmation.

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts

All stumpjumpers have had disc brakes for the last 8 years or so. Do you have a link to his bike?
A stumpy is superior to a hardrock in every way. Especially if it fits you better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts