Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver bullet
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about trading my 05 Moment up to the newer style 09. I'd like to hear comments from anyone that's done it...both positive and negative. Is it worth it? How does the newer model climb compared to the older? How does it feel on tight singletrack. I guess it goes without saying that it flies downhill.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
djb55 said:
I'm thinking about trading my 05 Moment up to the newer style 09. I'd like to hear comments from anyone that's done it...both positive and negative. Is it worth it? How does the newer model climb compared to the older? How does it feel on tight singletrack. I guess it goes without saying that it flies downhill.
Its very worth it. Stiffer rear. Better square bump. Accepts the longer 160 forks better. Its one awesome trail bike. Kilz it going up and handle the switchbacks very well. DH is a blast of course. Do it and be happy.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
TIMBERRR said:
Its very worth it. Stiffer rear. Better square bump. Accepts the longer 160 forks better. Its one awesome trail bike. Kilz it going up and handle the switchbacks very well. DH is a blast of course. Do it and be happy.
Timberrr--did you ever get rid of your '09 frame?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
F.N.G said:
Timberrr--did you ever get rid of your '09 frame?
Still have it. Due to some employment issues I may be ridin it for a bit longer. I'm thinking of putting it on a diet. Also the next bike is likely gonna be something other than a firebird. Stay tuned!!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
buy a turner

they will last longer and followed up with real CS.....
take your chances though

·
Registered
764 Posts
There you have it, a must have for the holidays, your very own 2009 Moment. But on the other hand, if your current ride is fine stick with it and buy some other upgrades.

I thought you could run the 160 forks on the 06???.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jjcools said:
There you have it, a must have for the holidays, your very own 2009 Moment. But on the other hand, if your current ride is fine stick with it and buy some other upgrades.

I thought you could run the 160 forks on the 06???.
When i fitted Fox 36's to my 2005 Moment, i thought it was just to much, the geometry didnt look right either, so after a few rides i decided to fit a 10mm spacer to reduce them to 150mm.

Im also considering buying the new Moment and am interested in how it compares with the old one. I expect it to be slightly better downhill, but does it still climb well? And is the frame any lighter?

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
The '05 was really designed around 150mm of travel. Forks like the 36 came out shortly after. Ells said you could run the 36 but also recomended a steelset or deep cup headset to reinforce the HT.
Compared to the '05 the newer version has a way stiffer rear. Tracks way better. Climbs better with the taller forks (160). Plus it looks *****in!
As far as frame weight its about the same. Please remember this is a bike built to be riden hard. If you want to keep it light look to air forks and an air shock. Also look at I9 for a light yet strong wheelset. If that is still not enough then get the Epiphany.
The '05 is a great bike but the refinments to the newest version are so very worth it. The original took my riding to another level. The latest and greatest have taken it even farther.
Just get one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts