Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Cateye strada double wireless. I have to keep adjusting my wireless receiver. It seems like every time I load and unload the bike in my truck that it moves. It seems to also move when I am riding down the road/trail or something. Also I ripped off the cadence magnet as well.

With a GPS computer I do not need to have the speed sensor or receiver.

If I want cadence, which I sort of do, I might still have the same problem.

Your thoughts?

Mike
 

·
since 4/10/2009
Joined
·
30,920 Posts
There are better ways to mount your stuff to keep the sensors and whatnot from moving. Double-sided tape is frequently recommended.

You don't mention anything about wanting location data. Really, if you don't care about where you are/went, why use a GPS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have used 3M double sided tape, maybe not installed correctly. Maybe I'll install some more tape.

I am all about GPSs, but at first I did not want to spend the money. I would like to know where I am/went. Plus I have a GPS60CSx, but it is kind of big to mount on the handle bars.
 

·
Fat Biker
Joined
·
426 Posts
Look at the Garmin 500 that just came out. It's small, bike specific, and looks good too. I've been running a bike computer plus an old Garmin Etrex and I'm tired of having my handlebar looking like an electronics store plus the Etrex is kind of heavy. As soon as the wife isn't looking I'm getting the 500!
 

·
Fat Biker
Joined
·
426 Posts
The Garmin 500 will show a trail on the screen but you cannot upload topography maps or road maps. You can upload trails to the device and follow them as well as add waypoints and such. Plus you can download your own trails to your computer and view them in Mapsource or Google Earth. Like I mentioned before I have an Etrex Vista on my bike and I only use it to find trailheads or to help me when I'm lost. I use topo maps but I really don't need them; they just look cool. I like the Garmin 500 because it's lighter weight, has customizable screens, includes a temperature gauge, altimiter, and compas. Plus it's less than half the price of an Edge 705.
 

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
Joined
·
6,171 Posts
LOL :D :thumbsup: That's the way I always roll----well actually I mke sure I spend any bonus on me haha
My Edge 305 us still serving me well. I just got a Contour HD cam and a weather fob for my rides.

Hey give a shout if you ever get up here to ride BLORA again.

soccerdude said:
...... As soon as the wife isn't looking I'm getting the 500!
 

·
Fat Biker
Joined
·
426 Posts
ArmySlowRdr said:
LOL :D :thumbsup: That's the way I always roll----well actually I mke sure I spend any bonus on me haha
My Edge 305 us still serving me well. I just got a Contour HD cam and a weather fob for my rides.

Hey give a shout if you ever get up here to ride BLORA again.
As soon as it becomes warmer and we're able to swim we'll be up. BLORA is now my favorite place to ride!
 

·
PUG U!!!
Joined
·
192 Posts
tracerprix said:
Well, I have used 3M double sided tape, maybe not installed correctly. Maybe I'll install some more tape.

I am all about GPSs, but at first I did not want to spend the money. I would like to know where I am/went. Plus I have a GPS60CSx, but it is kind of big to mount on the handle bars.

Dude,
you've got the best GPSr (Garmin) money can buy!! IMHO
get the handlebar mount and the cradle for said mount and have at it!!
i've biked many miles with this set-up, and it doesn't get in my way at all.
Enjoy!!

Peace,
Joboo
 

·
since 4/10/2009
Joined
·
30,920 Posts
joboo said:
Dude,
you've got the best GPSr (Garmin) money can buy!! IMHO
get the handlebar mount and the cradle for said mount and have at it!!
i've biked many miles with this set-up, and it doesn't get in my way at all.
Enjoy!!

Peace,
Joboo
To be fair to the OP, I understand his reluctance to put the 60 on the handlebars. It is kinda big and sticks out. I have a 76CSx and I used it for awhile on my bike. I managed to finagle a stem mount for it to get it out of the way and get more metal around it to protect it from a crash or from errant saplings, vines, etc. I used it for awhile this way because it's what I had. I just got an E705, however, because I got fed up with the massiveness of that GPS even on my stem.

I have some nearby trail systems that are either poorly signed/mapped or completely unmapped...so I like having the map screen right there on my bars to consult when I hit an intersection or a road or something. So I don't want to just toss the GPS into my pack. I did that for awhile, too, and wasn't satisfied with having to fish it out regularly.

If the OP really does want GPS and actually wants to be able to see a map of where he's been while in the field (not just at home after the fact), I really would suggest something with the ability to display maps. The E605/705 being ideal because of their small size and ability to display a map. The E205/305 would come close, as it at least shows a representation of where you've been...but no maps on these. One of the new touchscreens that's compatible with a HRM and spd/Cad sensor would also be an option. AFAIK, they're a bit bigger, but not quite as big as a 60CSx, and especially without the antenna that sticks out so much. And the ability to handle free imagery from Google Earth or Topofusion is a big plus. That is a major improvement, to be totally honest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nate,

Thanks for the input. The 60GPSx is kind of big. A stem mount would help, but still big with that antenna. I'll see if I can scrap for a 705, that is really what I want. I think the newer touch screens would be a bit too pricey, but the google earth images, I had no idea about, WOW!

Mike
 

·
since 4/10/2009
Joined
·
30,920 Posts
tracerprix said:
Nate,

Thanks for the input. The 60GPSx is kind of big. A stem mount would help, but still big with that antenna. I'll see if I can scrap for a 705, that is really what I want. I think the newer touch screens would be a bit too pricey, but the google earth images, I had no idea about, WOW!

Mike
Actually, the Oregons are compatible with the HRM and speed/cad sensor. The GPS itself costs about the same as an E705 with all the bits, but then with the touch screen, you have to buy the accessories separately. BUT, with the Oregon, you don't have to buy one with included maps because free maps are available everywhere, and you can get away with saving a bit.

So, do some price checking and I'll bet you can get either one for a similar price with the same accessories. Just depends on whether you want a smaller form factor or satellite imagery. I'm not sure how the size of the Oregon/Dakota line compares to other models, but others in here own them and can probably even post side-by-side pictures.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top