Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SGS Fr frame and currently am running a front derailleur, but am thinking of switching to a single front ring and putting a chain tension device on. I was thinking of putting a drs or shiftguide on for the 2 rings but was wondering if maybe I should just switch to a single ring. Not sure if there are any advantages to this, so I just want some opinions. Thanks.

·
keystone addict
542 Posts
I was having the exact same thoughts as you about a week ago. I have a double chainring setup on my vpfree, and was needing a chainguide, and, like you, I was considering just putting a single-ring guide on and forgetting about the hassles of a front derailleur. So I decided to test how much I really need my granny-gear by not allowing myself to shift into it at all, and quickly found that it is actually really nice to have it down there on some occasions like an unexpected climb after you have become really tired. I will be keeping my double-ring setup, and would recommend you do the same.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
The E-13 DRS's are great if you trail ride and not too hard to setup. It's hard to recommend a single ring setup when you already have a dual unless your bike is used for the single purpose of descending or you're on some mission to make it as light as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts