Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the deal:

I received a Trek 8500 hardtail frame (2010 I believe), last fall because the chainstays on my old 6000 were cracking pretty bad. Although the 8500 is super light and would make a sick XC race bike, I don't race, but I ride trails, and ride pretty hard.

I'm thinking about selling the bike and getting a Ragley Blue Pig or some other AM hardtail? The Trek frame has about 40 miles on it (I only took it out for like 5-6 rides), and I was hoping to get around 350-400 for it. Do you think thats possible?

Anyhow, do you guys think I should just stick with the XC bike and ride it hard at 140mm travel, or actually get a bike thats suited for the riding I plan on doing.:madman:

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
arkon11 said:
So here's the deal:

I received a Trek 8500 hardtail frame (2010 I believe), last fall because the chainstays on my old 6000 were cracking pretty bad. Although the 8500 is super light and would make a sick XC race bike, I don't race, but I ride trails, and ride pretty hard.

I'm thinking about selling the bike and getting a Ragley Blue Pig or some other AM hardtail? The Trek frame has about 40 miles on it (I only took it out for like 5-6 rides), and I was hoping to get around 350-400 for it. Do you think thats possible?

Anyhow, do you guys think I should just stick with the XC bike and ride it hard at 140mm travel, or actually get a bike thats suited for the riding I plan on doing.:madman:
The answer lies in the last part of your question. Why wouldn't you actually get a bike thats suited for what you plan on doing with it?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about that as well, but the thing is, I do ride more than my fair share of XC, but I also ride some rough trails. I'm afraid that the pig (which I think weighs around 2.5 lbs more, plus a crazy slack headtube) will be a bit too much for the XC stuff I do. Having two bikes would be sweet, but financially thats not an option. :-/

Any thoughts?

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Idk I am building up the Pig right now and won't have a chance to ride it until the snow is gone. I'm sure it is more than capable of doing epics, if anything it will just make you stronger till you get to a point where it isn't hard. My friend has a 35lb ish HT 160mm travel bike and is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.