Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No, you idiot!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep thinking I want something lighter and quicker, but everytime I look at it, ride it, or caress it lovingly I forget all that crap... Then again a 12.5# 6" frame is rather ridiculous.

There's a guy who's offered me my asking price. I may turn him down. Or I could sell it and buy... what?

Somebody give me a shove, because I clearly can't make this decision on my own.

·
a dad
2,920 Posts
i have loved every bike i have owned, but as soon as i get that new bike i forget about the old one....12# + frame is pretty heavy, you could definately get something a bit lighter that is still pretty stout...nomad? whats your price range?

·
Yay! Bikes !
1,760 Posts
I ride an RFX and I think 9.5 pounds is a heavy frame!

There are more than a few frames that are lighter and won't fold up under you. I vote for sell that beast and try something new. If you regret the decision you can always get another Banshee.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
billybobzia said:
whats your price range?
More or less irrelevant. It's more about which brands I can pro-deal. I'm not getting a Lessworth or Tightass or some overpriced fluffy bke, however.

Transition Preston or Dirtbag would be high on the list. Or even the 06 Chap which has 7" travel and is supposedly a bit lighter. Trek session is on the list, but it'd be a pain to get frame only.

Azonic Saber, or an ASX maybe. Hell, I've even thought about a Bullit, but a Weyless is too ugly. Sorry Dave.

Then there's the hardtails: Either a Banshee Rocco or Cove Stiffee. The Sinister Ridge is badass, but I doubt I could scam one for wholesale.

The Nomad is fugly and is also a virtual-pos. Uh, sorry Grant. The only virtual-nonsense bike I'd consider is the Cornfield Balance, ya know, to support the home team.

I could conceivably get a Special-Ed, but the SX Trail is a turd.

Did I miss anything?

I could also just put a "stable" shock on my Banshee... It's not really the weight that bothers me, it's the squishy pedaling.

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
singletrack said:
More or less irrelevant. It's more about which brands I can pro-deal. I'm not getting a Lessworth or Tightass or some overpriced fluffy bke, however.

Transition Preston or Dirtbag would be high on the list. Or even the 06 Chap which has 7" travel and is supposedly a bit lighter. Trek session is on the list, but it'd be a pain to get frame only.

Azonic Saber, or an ASX maybe. Hell, I've even thought about a Bullit, but a Weyless is too ugly. Sorry Dave.

Then there's the hardtails: Either a Banshee Rocco or Cove Stiffee. The Sinister Ridge is badass, but I doubt I could scam one for wholesale.

The Nomad is fugly and is also a virtual-pos. Uh, sorry Grant. The only virtual-nonsense bike I'd consider is the Cornfield Balance, ya know, to support the home team.

I could conceivably get a Special-Ed, but the SX Trail is a turd.

Did I miss anything?

I could also just put a "stable" shock on my Banshee... It's not really the weight that bothers me, it's the squishy pedaling.

Does the '06 Chap have a stable platform shock on it?

My thinking is that you may as well stick w/ Banshee, if not your current Banshee. It sounds like you're looking at quite a few different bikes. It'd be one thing if there was a frame or two that you were really lusting after - but it doesn't sound that way. Sell your current frame and order up an '06 w/ the right shock.

That way you get the novelty of a new ride and you get a bike that you know you'll like for what - a couple of hundred over what you'll get for your current frame?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hey Joel, totally go with the Cornfield! Definitely high on the bling factor...Then we can all see it and ride it too! :D

The ASX offers a lot more of bang for the buck than other frames. If you hate the Nomad, then I'm out of suggestions.

Keep us posted!

·
Stand back
4,211 Posts
Congrats!

singletrack said:
Well, the Chap just sold. :eek:
I guess...
The beauty of getting a different frame will be that pretty much every other frame you look at will be a little if not substantially lighter. 12.5 is a lot of weight for someone your size to carry around. Heck, I thought my 7 point was a heavy frame at ~10lbs.
I couldn't imagine riding some of those imaginary trails down your way on a hardtail. Lots of 6-7" travel frames around to choose from, but if yer looking fer a purty one, guess that narrows the list down some.
Too bad you don't like the Enduro, see a lot of peeps ripping it up on those lately...

·
Registered
434 Posts
not me

I'm rocking a Cannondale Gemini not a Weyless. That is assuming you were talk about me when you said Dave. For sure rock the Fully instead of a HT. You just have too much great terrain out there to have to get slammed around by the billions of rocks all over the place. I vote for a lighter fully. Enjoy what ever you go with

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Rally Blue said:
I'm rocking a Cannondale Gemini not a Weyless. That is assuming you were talk about me when you said Dave. For sure rock the Fully instead of a HT. You just have too much great terrain out there to have to get slammed around by the billions of rocks all over the place. I vote for a lighter fully. Enjoy what ever you go with
The other Dave has a Weyless.... damn Dave, way to think everything's about you. :p

Joel, I'd give you a suggestion but I honestly can't think of anything... although the Ironhorses are good, maybe even an Uzzi VPX or VPFree? Not too sure if that's a bit over the top for ya. Or even the new 6.6 (way hot). :)

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
singletrack said:
Well, the Chap just sold. :eek:
Good. Now get a Brooklyn FTQ. Why be normal and WTF cares about a 12.5-lb frame when you have a sixer of PBR in your Camelback and a dog named Randal?

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
Nah - be way different, pick up an '03 AC1. In fact, I happen to know someone who is selling one at a steal of a price.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Godzilla said:
Nah - be way different, pick up an '03 AC1. In fact, I happen to know someone who is selling one at a steal of a price.
Well it must not be me because I just sold mine for $300 shipped. ;) *Buy from Josh*

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Well it must not be me because I just sold mine for $300 shipped. ;) *Buy from Josh*
What all did you sell for $300, Tony?

I'd go for a Balance, Joel - that FTQ looks sick but damn, $3500 is a whole lot of money for a frame and a set of cranks.

·
a dad
2,920 Posts
Godzilla said:
how much you selling it for?? my buddy is in dire need of a bike, his broke and he is somewhat financially challenged...is it a complete bike or just frame??

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
billybobzia said:
how much you selling it for?? my buddy is in dire need of a bike, his broke and he is somewhat financially challenged...is it a complete bike or just frame??
It's complete. It's a pretty decent bike for the money, actually - '03 AC1, XT ders., Rafeface N Shore crankset, Manitou Flick fork, Thomson seatpost, Hayes HFX 9 brakes, etc, etc...ridden 1 year ~ $1k

Oh yeah - it's an 18" frame

This is the bike - except the fork on it now is a singlecrown 5" fork.

Attachments

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Godzilla said:
What all did you sell for $300, Tony?

I'd go for a Balance, Joel - that FTQ looks sick but damn, $3500 is a whole lot of money for a frame and a set of cranks.
What is it with you people who worry about money when considering bike related purchases?!

This is our LIFE we're talking about here! If you got cancer, would you say, "just give me $800 worth of that Chinese import ground rhino horn treatment."? Hell no, you're going to be saying, "I want the hand built Made in American Lance Armstrong Brooklyn Edition treatment that comes with a set of Profile LHD cranks, eccentric BB, jackshaft drive components (drive shaft, 3 chain rings, left chain), Avalanche DHS rear shock w/comp and rebound adjust, positionable disc caliper mount, replaceable derailleur hanger with built in chain tensioner, and integrated chain guide system, shock reservoir mount, rear fender mount, and oh!, don't forget the JACKSHAFT!!!...as a matter of fact, fock it, give me a Link bike too!!!!"

$3500 is a short stack of coin when it comes to your life. You can bet your azz that the late beloved ChodeStar never worried about what his bikes cost as he lay dying on his hospital bed.

·
Gaa-zee-raaaa!
2,433 Posts
DWF said:
What is it with you people who worry about money when considering bike related purchases?!

This is our LIFE we're talking about here! If you got cancer, would you say, "just give me $800 worth of that Chinese import ground rhino horn treatment."? Hell no, you're going to be saying, "I want the hand built Made in American Lance Armstrong Brooklyn Edition treatment that comes with a set of Profile LHD cranks, eccentric BB, jackshaft drive components (drive shaft, 3 chain rings, left chain), Avalanche DHS rear shock w/comp and rebound adjust, positionable disc caliper mount, replaceable derailleur hanger with built in chain tensioner, and integrated chain guide system, shock reservoir mount, rear fender mount, and oh!, don't forget the JACKSHAFT!!!...as a matter of fact, fock it, give me a Link bike too!!!!"

$3500 is a short stack of coin when it comes to your life. You can bet your azz that the late beloved ChodeStar never worried about what his bikes cost as he lay dying on his hospital bed.

SHhh.. I've got a 24k gold plated FTQ on order - I'm just trying to get the more pragmatic types among us to buy my AC. ;)

Chode is dead, long live Chode!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts