Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first flat in 3 years using a tubeless system. The photo shows the offending nail which punctured the tire in two places. In addition, there is another ~2mm diameter puncture. These tires still have tread left and I love how super light they are (Kenda Karma non-tubeless), so I don't want to retire it if I don't have to. Would you consider this tire salvageable?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
that top hole in the sidewall, near the bead would worry me a bit... try using some patches on the inside of the tire. it should hold, but if the hole in the sidewall is substantial, I would look for a new tire.

the sidewalls are also cracking in the image, so it might be a good excuse to get a new tire anyway.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
ewarnerusa said:
Would you consider this tire salvageable?
I'd say yes, if you want to deal with the mess...

Rubber cement a decent patch (or maybe even scrap of tube) over the punctures. I assume you are running Stan's-you probably want to clean it off before using rubber cement.

For a nail-sized puncture, that should be it. If it is any worse, then a few drops of super glue on the outside of the tire may help keep the tube from ballooning out when filled with air.

I have actually done this a few times and I am always amazed at how well it can hold up... then again, the peace of mind that comes with brand-new rubber may be worth it to some people.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards retiring the tire because I have several other tires on hand to replace it with. It's just that this particular non-tubeless tire is far lighter than my other true UST tires.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ordinarily I would say a few drops of superglue on the outside and a patch on the inside should be fine but I've never had a puncture that close to the bead it might be tough to get a good patch on the inside.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ratt said:
I vote no because its in the sidewall and too close to the bead making getting a good seal again problematic. Did the stans seal the hole?
There wasn't much air that I could see coming out from the two nail punctures. But the additional hole had air rushing out of it. I put that side down and the Stan's was trying to do its job but I would have to say no, it did not seal it.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bingobong said:
Ordinarily I would say a few drops of superglue on the outside and a patch on the inside should be fine but I've never had a puncture that close to the bead it might be tough to get a good patch on the inside.
that is what I though, too. I've never patched a tire before, just tubes. But that one hole is right next to the bead. I was relieved that the nail didn't damage the rim.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
I am not saying that this was a good idea, but this tire has continued to hold up for a year after this (patch only, no superglue)...

It has not been tubeless, but it is probably going ghetto very soon and I am sure the bead will be fine. And yes, I was also very relieved that the rim was not damaged!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.