Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put Profile BMX cranks on my Monocog 29er because I needed something pretty bombproof and already had them laying around. But it seems like they're pretty heavy and I could save some weight with aluminum cranks. The only problem is that I have no idea what to replace them with. I use a 28t bmx chainwheel but I could probably go to 32t since I'm running a 15t cog and have 16t-20t cogs sitting around. Truvativ seems pretty popular among the DH/FR crowd (my riding style is urban assault basically), but even then there are a lot of options and I really don't want to accidentally buy something that's not beefy enough and have to replace the damn thing. The problem I usually run into is that I twist the spindle on weak BBs.

So what do you think is appropriate? And considering the demands on whatever I might choose, would it end up being heavy enough that it's not worth replacing my Profiles?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mackstann said:
I put Profile BMX cranks on my Monocog 29er because I needed something pretty bombproof and already had them laying around. But it seems like they're pretty heavy and I could save some weight with aluminum cranks. The only problem is that I have no idea what to replace them with. I use a 28t bmx chainwheel but I could probably go to 32t since I'm running a 15t cog and have 16t-20t cogs sitting around. Truvativ seems pretty popular among the DH/FR crowd (my riding style is urban assault basically), but even then there are a lot of options and I really don't want to accidentally buy something that's not beefy enough and have to replace the damn thing. The problem I usually run into is that I twist the spindle on weak BBs.

So what do you think is appropriate? And considering the demands on whatever I might choose, would it end up being heavy enough that it's not worth replacing my Profiles?
Just keep the Profiles

·
Registered
48 Posts
Look for some shimano Lx's the spline system is simiar to profiles execpt it has a double pinch bolt. I think profiles have a 19mm spindle and some have a 22mm but most external MTB Crancksets such as the LX's have a 24mm spindle. I have done light downhill on mine and urban (keep in mind im on a dual suspention). Truvativ's DH cranks are good. Also shimano makes hollow arm and axle BMX cranks but they are like $300
I have a set of Truvativ BMX cranks on my BMX bike they use ISIS which is a 22mm spindle and had no problem with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.