Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put on about 3000 miles a year on my Scalpel SI. I am worried the frame will break soon as I have around 9000 miles on it. I have broken 2 other SI frames before. Does anyone know if Cannondale has been coming through with warranty frames during the ongoing pandemic? I can get a brand new Scalpel SI himod frame with warranty for $1500.00. I was thinking about purchasing it for a spare.

· Registered
525 Posts
I feel your pain, as I broke many of the 2013-16 Scalpel frames when I was racing and training on them. The Scalpel-Si has treated me well for over 12,000 miles. I would say buy the extra frame or explore other bike options.

· Registered
971 Posts
I don't think we can answer for you. How much disposable income do you have? How big an impact on your life would it be to be without a bike? How comfortable with risk are you?

To me, it seems like a waste. Assuming you're talking about the original Scalpel-Si, you're spending $1500 for an outdated model that you may not use. If it were me I'd take the risk
1 - that it doesn't break before I buy a new bike
2 - that Cannondale have warranty stock or I can buy something at the time I need it (maybe only a linkage or a rear triangle, the broken bit)
3 - that if it does break and a replacement isn't immediately available that the failure isn't catastrophic enough to ride for a while
4 - that I have $1500 spare that I can spend on a carbon repair to get me through until a replacement is available (make sure to get it assessed and warranty approved first)

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems kinda odd that for the someone would consider buying a spare frame.
I bought a spare Ocho so I can always have one ready to go when my other needs service. This practice has worked out very well. I have pretty much 2 of everything (except a frame) so I don't have downtime…so I don't think it's odd at all.

I do agree with Aussie that it's an outdated frame for $1500.00 and probably isn't worth it even though it was originally $4500.00 for it (Himod, limited edition color). I've tried ordering a 2021 frame and none are available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.