Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,709 Posts
Depends on the fork

MTB-AHOLIC said:
Ive heard some people say you should use shock paste or lube but others say theres no point it will just attract dirt. who's right????
Some use oil, some use grease. Find the service manual. Either way, you take it apart to service it. Some older Manitou forks use a grease port with a grease gun to inject the lube directly into the bushings.

Some folks use a bit of Tri-Flow on the outside stanctions, but I think this just creates more problem than it solves. It makes the dirt cake up in the upper seal which makes the seal stop working until you clean it out.

I say just use a dry clean rag and clean off the uppers after each ride, and do a take-apart service once or twice a year.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
I don't know who's right but here's what I do...

I use a very, very, very light coat of oil (currently Triflo). I apply a small amount to a makeup sponge (if you're married you have these in your house somewhere, ask the wifey) and then wipe the stanchions. It leaves such a light coat that it's hard to tell you oiled them. More oil does attract more dirt, that's for sure.

·
i worship Mr T
5,535 Posts
MTB-AHOLIC said:
Ive heard some people say you should use shock paste or lube but others say theres no point it will just attract dirt. who's right????
as opposed to your back fork? :D

if you're referring to putting lube on the external stanchions, i, like pimpbot, would recommend against that. all it does is attract dirt. wiping them down with a clean rag should suffice.

if you are asking about lubing the inside of your fork, then i would suggest looking at your owners manual to see what it says about routine maintenance.

rt

·
Registered
671 Posts
Marzocchi recommends silicon lube which seems to set fairly dry & not attract dirt. You can get a spray can of the stuff @any hardwear store - carefull not to get any overspray on your braking surfaces though.
The best thing to do would be to go w/the manufacturers recommendation.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
radair said:
Personally, I like to use Shoe Goo. The stuff is amazing, I put it on everything. You'd think it would make a sticky mess, but it puts a nice protective coating on the tubes.
LOL. That's just mean.

I use Finish Line Stanchion Lube about once every 10 rides. A few drops on each stanchion then cycle the fork 10 times then wipe off all the excess with a clean felt cloth they supply. It's supposed to condition the fork tubes and keep them stiction free. I'm not sure I notice much difference though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
well I am in aircraft industry and we lube our struts with this stuff called LPS 1. It is a greaseless lubricant/cleaner that works great!!! I say if it is good for a learjet it is good for my bike......it has to be #1, they make #2 #3 #4 and so on.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Apply wet lube to outer stanchions after every ride, then compress forks a couple of times or so. The lube acts to lift the grit from the tops of the seals, so after a few compressions of the fork a line of dirty oil should be present on the stanchions.

After this procedure, wipe off the excess oil from the stanchions and the tops of the seals. The lubing action should come from inside the fork NOT the outside. So use lube on the stanchions to help clean, but NOT to lube! To help keep the upper bushings sweet, turn your bike upside down the evening before any ride, as this allows the oil in the bottom of the fork legs to work down (up) to those upper bushings. Inverting the forks may introduce a little oil on to the stanchions, although this is fine as it as it would have passed the seals (thus lubing seals) in a controlled manner. Too much oil, suggests the seals are knacked though!

Hope this makes sense.

This works for me and others who live in the mudfest that is sometimes known as the UK :D. Failure to observe the inverting method (in the UK anyhow) normally results in worn stanchions, especially with FOX forks. Also remember to service the forks, although in my experience a loss of lube to the upper bushings is the primary cause of stanchion/bushing wear, NOT grit passing the seals into the internals! Grit trapped in the seal can be a problem though, but the lube method above should remove this.

·
Registered
657 Posts
johneracer said:
well I am in aircraft industry and we lube our struts with this stuff called LPS 1. It is a greaseless lubricant/cleaner that works great!!! I say if it is good for a learjet it is good for my bike......it has to be #1, they make #2 #3 #4 and so on.....
How many muddy, sandy, dusty trails does a Lear see?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do what RockShox recommends after each ride: clean,and lube the upper tubes just above the dust wipers. I use a fork oil, 5 or 15 weight, compress the fork a few times, and wipe-off excess oil not to attrack dirt. I feel the fork has reduced friction (stick-slip), than without that treatment.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yea, there is no rubber in a gun. Just a light coat of light oil (silicone, PTFE, fork oil etc.) will help the
uppers from sticking to and wearing the dust wipers and keep all working smooth. My forks leave fork oil on my uppers (just a little), so I just wipe them off every ride and change my oil regular to keep the level right. Gun oil is really a great oil, but it has cleaning agents for carbon buildup that may not be
very kind to rubber seals and wipers. As far as rubber goes, silicone is it's best friend. If you like to blow money you can buy stantion lube, but you don't really need it imo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.