Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am new to mountain bikes, and want to transition over from riding road bikes, as I have lots of buddies in the scene, and would love to ride along with them! Is it worth converting this frame into a mountain bike or do you recommend getting a new one. My budget for a beginner bike is $1000 dollars. I know its not a lot of money, but I do not want to spend anything more than that for a beginner bike.

Would you say for me to upgrade this frame to a mountain bike, or to buy a new hardtail mountainbike.

·
Cycologist
10,338 Posts
Buy a new mountain bike and give me that frame.:D

Seriously, a road bike is not going to convert into a mountain bike. If you can fit fatter tires on it, you could make it a gravel bike. But the geometry and other things will not work for building a mountain bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy a new mountain bike and give me that frame.:D

Seriously, a road bike is not going to convert into a mountain bike. If you can fit fatter tires on it, you could make it a gravel bike. But the geometry and other things will not work for building a mountain bike.
Oh because this was originally a mountain bike made into a road bike from what the previous seller told me. Arent these the bianchi grizzly mountain bike frames? By the way its super light weight :p

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
That Bianchi frame is sweet, and it has a purpose, but a rigid, 26", rim brake MTB with 1.9" tires isn't going to allow you to keep up with your friends or be as fun as a modern hardtail.

Hang on to that thing (or send it to Chaz), and get yourself a modern hardtail you can learn and grow on.

·
jcd's best friend
3,411 Posts
Check Pink Bike Buy/Sell market for bikes in your local area. You can find some starter bikes from last year for sale across the country and some are willing to ship. If you find some you like, post the links here and we can take a look for you.

Some of last year's starter riders are probably ditching their bikes for something upgraded so there are deals to be found.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you OneSpeed and Battery. How about that Fuel SLR full suspension for 280 that is posted on offerup. Does it look like a good deal I posted the photo as well!

·
jcd's best friend
3,411 Posts
Thank you OneSpeed and Battery. How about that Fuel SLR full suspension for 280 that is posted on offerup. Does it look like a good deal I posted the photo as well!
Got a link to it? Personally I would skip due to rim brakes. Most modern bikes use some type of disc brakes (mechanical or hydraulic). Just a personal thing. You can probably find a disc brake starter bike for $300 or less.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
No. How about something with disc brakes? If you've got a $1k budget lets stop looking at craigslist clunkers under $300.

New bikes can be had with modern geo, disc brakes, an air fork, 1x drivetrain, etc.

Try a google search for hardtails under $1k. That or stop into your LBS for a little guidance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
jcd's best friend
3,411 Posts
https://www.rei.com/product/106331/co-op-cycles-drt-11-bike

How about this? It is half of my budget and has disc brakes!
That one is not too bad. It doesn't come with Tourney parts (good thing) but it could use some better tires. Diamondback has a sale going on right now so you can get a couple hundred (or more) off most of their bikes. If you don't have a dealer nearby, they can ship to your door.

Here is a good one to consider (DB Mason 2): https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/hardtail/mason-2-d42

If you need to save a few bucks, here's the Mason 1: https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/hardtail/mason1-d42

The Mason 1 isn't too bad. It does come with a coil fork but it's not that big of a deal for a starter. The setup is 1x10 using Shimano Deore parts which is good. Deore is entry level trail parts and they are very good for starters. The brakes are Tektro mechanical disk but not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That one is not too bad. It doesn't come with Tourney parts (good thing) but it could use some better tires. Diamondback has a sale going on right now so you can get a couple hundred (or more) off most of their bikes. If you don't have a dealer nearby, they can ship to your door.

Here is a good one to consider (DB Mason 2): https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/hardtail/mason-2-d42

If you need to save a few bucks, here's the Mason 1: https://www.diamondback.com/mountain-bikes/hardtail/mason1-d42

The Mason 1 isn't too bad. It does come with a coil fork but it's not that big of a deal for a starter. The setup is 1x10 using Shimano Deore parts which is good. Deore is entry level trail parts and they are very good for starters. The brakes are Tektro mechanical disk but not necessarily a bad thing.
Those look really good!

https://aventuron.com/products/diam...dMn9mL_L7uyjXf4vIkSWd1CmCq5TXy_xoCzE4QAvD_BwE

Have you seen this full suspension one for 765. How does this compare to the ones you posted?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is starting to smell trolly.
Sorry if it feels that way I am definitely not trying to do that at all. Just googled Diamond back bikes, and that link came up for 765 and I noticed it was full suspension compared to hardtail. I appreciate everyone's advice on here. Also it looks like the Mason 2 is out of stock on their website. So I would have to look to see if any local places have it if that was the better bike than the atroz 2.

·
jcd's best friend
3,411 Posts
Those look really good!

https://aventuron.com/products/diam...dMn9mL_L7uyjXf4vIkSWd1CmCq5TXy_xoCzE4QAvD_BwE

Have you seen this full suspension one for 765. How does this compare to the ones you posted?
DB has done some work to the Atroz lately but mostly for the Atroz 3. It's not too bad but I can't see myself riding a full suspension bike that costs well under $1k. Most entry level full suspension bikes are typically in the $2k minimum range. You can find some below $2k and they aren't that bad in design, but the component selection is mediocre when you think about how much you are spending.

If you are looking at the Atroz, definitely consider the Atroz 3. The Atroz 2 uses a lot of Acera components which a lot lower on the Shimano parts tier. If you are wondering about the Shimano parts hierarchy, then read this info to help you with buying bikes with Shimano parts: Beginners Guide To Mountain Bike Groupsets - MTB Treks

The way I see it, recreational tier parts don't belong on a full suspension bike.

If you plan to ride a lot of trails, consider Deore parts at a minimum. Nothing against the recreational tier of parts, but they may not last over a long period of time as you start progressing your skills as a rider.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DB has done some work to the Atroz lately but mostly for the Atroz 3. It's not too bad but I can't see myself riding a full suspension bike that costs well under $1k. Most entry level full suspension bikes are typically in the $2k minimum range. You can find some below $2k and they aren't that bad in design, but the component selection is mediocre when you think about how much you are spending.

If you are looking at the Atroz, definitely consider the Atroz 3. The Atroz 2 uses a lot of Acera components which a lot lower on the Shimano parts tier. If you are wondering about the Shimano parts hierarchy, then read this info to help you with buying bikes with Shimano parts: Beginners Guide To Mountain Bike Groupsets - MTB Treks

The way I see it, recreational tier parts don't belong on a full suspension bike.

If you plan to ride a lot of trails, consider Deore parts at a minimum. Nothing against the recreational tier of parts, but they may not last over a long period of time as you start progressing your skills as a rider.
Thank you so much I really appreciate it. I think I will look for a Mason 2. it is at 1249 right now instead of 1399, but I would just need to find it in stock, because online it is out of stock.

·
Cycologist
10,338 Posts
Oh because this was originally a mountain bike made into a road bike from what the previous seller told me. Arent these the bianchi grizzly mountain bike frames? By the way its super light weight :p
If that is a grizzly, it is a very old one. It would be fun to build up as a vintage cruiser but if you are wanting to ride with others on modern bikes, you'll want a modern bike.

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
Suntour coil spring forks are designed for bike paths and smooth trails. You'll be better off avoiding those. It is a big deal pretty quick after you begin riding. Plastic bushing inside instead of metal show wear when hitting lots of rocks. And no adjustable rebound damping lets the fork pogo when hitting rocks/roots on downhill sections of fun trails. I'd also look at 29 or 27.5+ wheel bikes to go along with a good usually air fork.
The Nukeproof Scout 290 Sport is a good long-term bike for $1k, free ship duties paid. It's popular because of that so it goes in and out of stock. Get on the email list.
Scout 290 Sport 2019 | Nukeproof
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/nukeproof-scout-290-sport-mountain-bike-2019/rp-prod170308

This bike is in stock and is similar.- $1k free ship. No tax all duties paid.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...9-mountain-bike-deore-1x10-2019/rp-prod173161

Both these bikes have a number of things you don't know you want.
1. A RockShox air fork with 130mm travel. Tapered steerer.
2. Boost 15x110 front hub and Boost 12x148 rear hub. That's current.
3. Space for 29x2.5 or 27.5x2.8 tires(with a different second wheelset)
4. 29mm inner width rim wheels. Really useful for traction and skill development. Less crashing.
5. Good quality drivetrain. Deore 1x10 or 1x11(Nukeproof)
6. Shimano hydraulic brakes.
7. Slack head tube angle- 65-67. Short chainstay-439. Longish reach-446-450 for a Large. Current geometry.

Make a chart and compare what you get to these bikes in these areas. These features will let you keep the bike for several seasons and upgrade. The Mason 2 fits in with these.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.