Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a 2004 Epic Marathon that comes stock with an 04 F100X. The bike is brand new and thus the fork is also. I have ridden this bike before and love the fork, however I wonder if it would be better to sell the Fork and get the new 2007 F100x. I know there were fork seal issues with earlier models.
What do I gain out of getting the new 07 fork?
Basically is it going to be worth the $200-$300 in cost difference to sell old one and get the new one?
Does the newer 07 have a better TerraLogic system?

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Sell me your old fork please

If you decide to upgrade, I would be interested in your old one. I am looking for an F100X for a singlespeed bike.

Altimeter88 said:
I am getting a 2004 Epic Marathon that comes stock with an 04 F100X. The bike is brand new and thus the fork is also. I have ridden this bike before and love the fork, however I wonder if it would be better to sell the Fork and get the new 2007 F100x. I know there were fork seal issues with earlier models.
Basically is it going to be worth the $200-$300 in cost difference to sell old one and get the new one?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Why fox? I have the '07 F80 (came on my new anthem) and it doesn't come close to my '06 reba team. In fact, I replaced the fox today with the reba. I've ridden it 2 months and several hundred miles so break-in is not the problem. It just doesn't have the sweet feel of the reba...at all. I don't buy the fox hype.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any personal experience with the Reba but I had an 04 Epic Marathon with the 04 F100X for a full summer (had to sell it due to work commitments at the end of the summer) and loved the TerraLogic auto-lockout. I live in Utah and travel to Moab often and the first time on that bike (I had just upgraded from a nice and light hardtail with 80mm of travel) and I climbed and rode faster than I ever had before on slickrock. It was a blast and that is how every ride was that season for me, I really was surprised at how well that fork and bike performed.
I am totally willing to look at other options I just was so happy with that fork that I wanted to stick with it. If there are other TerraLogic type of high-end forks let me know.
At the time I didn't even know what I had, it simply came on my new bike and I started reading the forums back in 04 and saw that the fork got a lot of praise at the time, not to mention I had no idea it cost close to $800 new. So I loved it before even hearing about it because of how it performed for me and I was totally sold on the TerraLogic.

At the point it is looking more like I will buy an 06 or 07 Epic frame and buy the 07 F100X, I really want to build a bike up having never done that before.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Altimeter88 said:
At the point it is looking more like I will buy an 06 or 07 Epic frame and buy the 07 F100X, I really want to build a bike up having never done that before.
I think this would be a better option since the geo. changes of the newer Epic frames are supposed to make them a little more "trail" worthy.

The RS stuff rocks though...check it out. Though no one else is making a system like Terralogic (except White Brothers), the Motion Control damping of RS's forks is excellent and infinitly tuneable.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The fox is alright but at least look into the rebas. The difference is night and day to me and I have to think that the diehard fox fans haven't ridden a reba team, race, or world cup....not that they'd admit it.

With the reba, I get better small bump compliance. The fox seems harsh at high speed over stutter bumps, rocks, and roots. The reba just has that sweet oil sucking sound of good damping. The rebound adjustment is also more effective on the reba. The fox looks good and has those nice anodized bits...but that's no advantage imo. Weight isn't a factor...they are comparable (~3.4lbs). Cost is a big factor with the fox costing several hundred more than the reba team or race.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
yater said:
Why fox? I have the '07 F80 (came on my new anthem) and it doesn't come close to my '06 reba team. In fact, I replaced the fox today with the reba. I've ridden it 2 months and several hundred miles so break-in is not the problem. It just doesn't have the sweet feel of the reba...at all. I don't buy the fox hype.
You don't buy into the Fox hype or you don't buy into the Terralogic hype? Which fork did you have? I am trying to decide if this feature is worth checking into. I am used to firm suspension (I ride a Racer X) but have only limited time on a X model fork.

·
IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
242 Posts
To answer your question if it would be worth it......

Altimeter88 said:
YES!!! the '07 terralogic system is much much better than the '04, '05, and '06 F100Xs'. I never had any seal issues with any of the forks except for a little play between the stanchions and the seals, but as far as how the forks feel........total day and night difference.

The '04 version I believe was the first design that was used for the terralogic cartridge. Aside from the fork being a bit on the heavy side, the delay of the valve opening when you hit a bump on the trail is very very noticeable. Another not so nice feel the '04 had was when the valve opens, it stays open for about 3 to 4 cycles of the fork. Meaning, if you hit a bump while hammering out of the saddle, the valve stays open for about 3 to 4 cycles (the fork bobs a couple of times) until it closes to give you a lockout once again.

The '05 and '06 F100X terralogic forks are lighter than the '04's. The opening of the valve is still noticeable, but not like on the '04's. Just a slight slight delay and the valve opens up. Unfortunately, the valve still stays open for about 2-3 cycles before it locks out again. (I just had my '05 terralogic PUSH'd and it is amazing!! No Delay, Tuned to my weight, Valve opens and closes immediately after I hit a bump while hammering. The same feeling as the Stratos ID cartridge for anyone that's tried the ID. This is of course before they were forced to stop selling their cartridges)

Fox finally got right with the '07 FX100/80!!! I think this is what Fox intended from the beginning of terralogic. No delay. Buttery smooth. No play between stanchions and seals. Better small bump compliance. Open and closes instantly when you hit a bump while hammering. Weighs even lighter than '06.

So, yes I believe it is worth the few hundred bucks extra for the '07 terralogic. You can get some really good deals on line so good luck. I think some people have already expressed interest in your '04, so you're already halfway there. Goodluck!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
What exactly did you have done when you said, "I just had my '05 terralogic PUSH'd and it is amazing!!" ?

I got a 2005 Terralogic which seems to be losing some platform (firm lock out) ability and it sounds like you have found a solution. My LBS wants to change oil and look at bushings & seals. I'm having trouble finding folks that really know about these forks (including Fox support)

·
242 Posts
katman11 said:
What exactly did you have done when you said, "I just had my '05 terralogic PUSH'd and it is amazing!!" ?

I got a 2005 Terralogic which seems to be losing some platform (firm lock out) ability and it sounds like you have found a solution. My LBS wants to change oil and look at bushings & seals. I'm having trouble finding folks that really know about these forks (including Fox support)
I sent you over a private message. I itemized the things that PUSH industries performed on my fork.

You should check out their website: www.pushindustries.com

You send your fork over to them and turn around time is super quick

·
otb club member
3,086 Posts
Altimeter88 said:
Sorry to be so late on this, but it may help others.... The 07 F100X dampers can be purchased and dropped into your 04. All the damping improvements are included in the damper ;) .

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 F100x

I would have to agree with the post that stated the new x-forks from fox are harsh over small stuff. I'm not experienced with the terralogic X-fork, I just got a great deal on one and stuck it on my bike. My old one was a Fox Vanilla R.
It seems like a shame that the trigger to unlocking the shock is a small hit that you will surely feel. So, if the "bump" frequency is spread out, you are going to feel a bunch of little hits. You may as well be riding a rigid fork on a trail where roots and small rocks are here and there on an otherwise level trail. The unlocking on the first small bump is so noticeable I thought my headset was a little loose for a while. It's not.
But riding fast over continuously semi-rough ground is like riding on a cloud. Once the thing opens up - you're bad to bone. It's a light, fast rebounding and stiff fork. I wonder if I could replace the terralogic damper cartridge with an RLC instead? Anyone?

·
242 Posts
Jr.Brown said:
I would have to agree with the post that stated the new x-forks from fox are harsh over small stuff. I'm not experienced with the terralogic X-fork, I just got a great deal on one and stuck it on my bike. My old one was a Fox Vanilla R.
It seems like a shame that the trigger to unlocking the shock is a small hit that you will surely feel. So, if the "bump" frequency is spread out, you are going to feel a bunch of little hits. You may as well be riding a rigid fork on a trail where roots and small rocks are here and there on an otherwise level trail. The unlocking on the first small bump is so noticeable I thought my headset was a little loose for a while. It's not.
But riding fast over continuously semi-rough ground is like riding on a cloud. Once the thing opens up - you're bad to bone. It's a light, fast rebounding and stiff fork. I wonder if I could replace the terralogic damper cartridge with an RLC instead? Anyone?
Yes you could replace the damper with an RLC. Please let me know if you will go ahead and do that. I would like to offer to buy your terralogic damper. SEnd me out a PM please.

However, the behavior you are describing about the "harshness" could be because the blue threshold knob on the bottom of the right leg is turned all the way in. Turn it out and the sensitivity of the fork's small bump compliance improves.

If that still doesn't suit your riding style, I'd love to take that cartridge off your hands......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.