Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trek 4300 and I upgrade my wheels and brakes for 150 now i have hydraulics front it back... after the upgrade I liked the bike a lot seem to ride a lot better than it was b4, but at the same week I bought a used full suspension (i wasn't thinking of buying a full suspension but i gotta great deal on it)... and I been riding my full suspension then... i love both bikes...

my question are:

When would I benefit riding a hardtail?
When is hardtail better than full suspension?
What kinda of trail should be riding a hardtial?...
Would a hard tail be a good downhill bike? (my trek looks pretty beefy compare to my full suspension and my full suspension is all over the the downhill since its pretty light and i heard for long downhill its better to have a heavy bike)

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Why not keep it ? Since when do we need reasons to keep them ? Ride it when you feel like changing it up a little , your f/s ride wont mind you cheating on it .

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you have the room and aren't strapped for cash after buying the full suspension, keep it. You can use it as a back-up, errand bike, loaner, or use it as a guinea pig to learn to wrench on your bikes if you don't know how to already.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AZ.MTNS: your right she wont mind lol

Kneescar: i already have a road bike that i can use as commuter... but thanks for the advice..

bbrins: I'm low on cash and i have too many bikes (road bike full suspension hardtial and a motorcycle lols) but I guess ill just keep it............ just in case my full suspension need some service that require more than a couple days..... and more likely its gonna be mail use for loaner bike since im trying to push more of my friends in this hobby...

since no one answer my questions about using my HT as a downhill bike or what trail is hardtail better than full suspension I guess full suspension is a better bike in every aspect compare to HT?

thanks guys... thanks for the input

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
jaysix79 said:
since no one answer my questions about using my HT as a downhill bike or what trail is hardtail better than full suspension I guess full suspension is a better bike in every aspect compare to HT?
I've been consistently underwhelmed by full suspension bikes. My experience is that hardtails are easier to dive in and out of corners and climb better.

Depending on the full-suspension bike though, it wouldn't be that difficult to outclass a 4300 in pretty much every aspect.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
You can DH on a HT , the F/S will kill the DH's though .

·
In Transit
1,089 Posts
What kind of full suspension bike did you buy?

In general, hardtails are a lot more capable that riders these days give them credit for and people have been known to FR and DH with them. In a lot of ways, riding with less suspension or no suspension (fully rigid) forces you to become a better rider.

Keep the extra bike if you can (for a backup or to bring a friend out to the trails), sell it if there are bills not getting paid.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
AndrwSwitch said:
I've been consistently underwhelmed by full suspension bikes. My experience is that hardtails are easier to dive in and out of corners and climb better.

Depending on the full-suspension bike though, it wouldn't be that difficult to outclass a 4300 in pretty much every aspect.
Wallys FS bikes don't count..:)

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
A Trek 4300 is hardly a DH bike: not strong enough for "real" DH, wrong geometry for "real DH. But if you find it better for going down hills than your FS bike, it probably is better there.

You could do this on your Trek:

Better not try this:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GiddyHitch: I bought a mountain cycle (jamis the newer name) with upgrades... more likely I'll keep it as a back up since I love my hardtail... only difference for me is that, FS is less tiring to ride my hands doesn't get that numb when I'm on a technical downhill... ill just switch back in fort from FS to HT time to time to change things up.

Killertofu: i decided to keep the bike ;)

perttime: nice vid..

·
Registered
476 Posts
Keep it! I love my hardtail, and I "think" I'll stay with hard tails for a long long time... but then again, I'm a masochist... I'll love it when I'm leaving ppl in the dust with their $3000 bikes :)

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
OSOK said:
Keep it! I love my hardtail, and I "think" I'll stay with hard tails for a long long time... but then again, I'm a masochist... I'll love it when I'm leaving ppl in the dust with their $3000 bikes :)
I'll take you on....I'll be riding my FS

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
larlev said:
I'll take you on....I'll be riding my FS
Too bad you're in TX. :) I'd be lying if I said I beat everyone who showed up to my class on a FS, but I beat enough people on Epics to know it's not the bike.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
AndrwSwitch said:
Too bad you're in TX. :) I'd be lying if I said I beat everyone who showed up to my class on a FS, but I beat enough people on Epics to know it's not the bike.
I raced my HT for yrs and did well.... I'm way faster on my FS now.

·
I hate rock gardens
261 Posts
perttime said:
Better not try this:
This video reinforces my belief that mtb'ing needs to be an Olympic sport.

Not to hijack this thread, but it needed to be said.:thumbsup:

I mean, they have downhill skiing and all right? :D

·
I hate rock gardens
261 Posts
From what I understand, it had a brief entrance in Beijing with little participation, and it was cross country IIRC. There are many facets to mtb'ing. :thumbsup:

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Man....I guess that shows I don't follow the olympics. I thought they had XC back in 96' or somewhere around there. I do agree DH and 4cross would be cool to see. XC is just not a good spectator sport IMO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts