Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really not liking my 04 DJ2, its too tall, too heavy, and the travel seems useless. On one hand, I'd really like a lower, DJ/Park specific fork, like an 80mm Gold Label. On the other, I'll be using the bike for a lot of different stuff, so I'd really like a Pike.

A guy at my LBS is selling his 06 Pike 454 for $350, the fork lists over 700, and its as new. Seems like a really good deal, but I'm not sure I'd like a fork that can only go down to 110mm.

Will the Pike be lower than the DJ2 at its lowest setting? Will it handle DJs and Park well? ANy help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snaky69 said:
A pike a 95mm sits at 470mm. So at 110mm it would sit at 485mm axle to crown height.

Same as the '06 and '07 DJ's, I think the 05's and 04's were taller though. So yeah, the axle to crown would be smaller, but by how much I wouldn't know.

I cannot seem to find the numbers for it.
anyone know if theres any way to lower a pike 454? Or if you'd still be able to retain the travel adjustability?

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Lickqid said:
so what I'm hearing is the 454 might not be the best deal for my situation?
I guess that's up to you. It's the same price as that GL you were looking at...
but, it's a little plusher (not really a plus for DJ/street/park), better trail damping than the GL, travel adjustable, but won't be an undestructable tank like your DJ and possibly (not fact by me) weaker than the GL... It's taller than the GL by like 3/4" or so, but a bit shorter than your old DJ... oh yeah, and like snaky noticed when he researched the fork, on his frame with the Pike, he would have run into clearance issues and knobs hitting the downtube... I don't know anything about the mollouse (haha, damn, I don't even know how to spell it)...
I don't know man.... pros and cons...

But, that said, I really want to pick up a Pike for my Rail... but for a DEDICATED stp bike, the GL might be a better option...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
BikeSATORI said:
I guess that's up to you. It's the same price as that GL you were looking at...
but, it's a little plusher (not really a plus for DJ/street/park), better trail damping than the GL, travel adjustable, but won't be an undestructable tank like your DJ and possibly (not fact by me) weaker than the GL... It's taller than the GL by like 3/4" or so, but a bit shorter than your old DJ... oh yeah, and like snaky noticed when he researched the fork, on his frame with the Pike, he would have run into clearance issues and knobs hitting the downtube... I don't know anything about the mollouse (haha, damn, I don't even know how to spell it)...
I don't know man.... pros and cons...

But, that said, I really want to pick up a Pike for my Rail... but for a DEDICATED stp bike, the GL might be a better option...
ha, I've been struggling with what my bikes going to be dedicated for forever. maybe I'll just keep the DJ2 and man up about the weight, at least it'll never break. But that NemPro fork we were talking about earlier has my name allll over it. I'll just pick up a SIC stem or call marz to get the steerer replaced

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Lickqid said:
ha, I've been struggling with what my bikes going to be dedicated for forever. maybe I'll just keep the DJ2 and man up about the weight, at least it'll never break. But that NemPro fork we were talking about earlier has my name allll over it. I'll just pick up a SIC stem or call marz to get the steerer replaced
I can't wait to get mine own. Everyone that owns one says it doesn't even feel like a SSV damped fork. Brad works magic on those!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.