Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've currently got an 05 Kona Coiler that I built up as kind of a big hit trailbike. I ride it on my local trails 80% of the time and take it to the local DH/freeride park the other 20%. I'm looking to upgrade my bike and the Nomad has caught my eye. What do you all think of the Nomad? Is a bike that can go trail riding one day and be launched and hucked (to the same extent as my Coiler) the next? Thanks for your help.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
dkg, you may not join the SC crowd. We are very elitist and downright snobby...only exceeded in that regard by the Homers...LOL!

Seriously though, there are lots of good bikes and bike brands out there in this day and age. However, the Nomad is one of those bikes that stands out as a great all-arounder. It may not be the only great bike out there by any means, but it is one of THE great bikes. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with one.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
TNC said:
dkg, you may not join the SC crowd. We are very elitist and downright snobby...only exceeded in that regard by the Homers...LOL!

Seriously though, there are lots of good bikes and bike brands out there in this day and age. However, the Nomad is one of those bikes that stands out as a great all-arounder. It may not be the only great bike out there by any means, but it is one of THE great bikes. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with one.
What he said. And, if you're in a more XC oriented area, there's the BLT(c). I have an AL Nomad, and a BLTc and think even tho there are overlaps, they're two very different beasts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying to find a used one is tough! They must be good if there are hardly any for sale! I rode one in 06 at a NEMBA festival. I remember not being impressed with the fox 36 fork, but it was completely due to a bad setup, not the bike itself. I can't remember enough of the brief encounter...

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
dkg4244 said:
Trying to find a used one is tough! They must be good if there are hardly any for sale! I rode one in 06 at a NEMBA festival. I remember not being impressed with the fox 36 fork, but it was completely due to a bad setup, not the bike itself. I can't remember enough of the brief encounter...
You tested the same vintage Nomad as my current ride. If it had a DHX Air, you might not have had a fair shakedown of the bike. I now have an Avy-ized 5th on there and it's a wholly different animal - no more mid-stroke wallow. Bad_Mechanic on the suspension forum also clued me in on the Float piston rod mod that increases the air spring volume, turning the Floats much more linear w/ more pressure and a lot less mid-stroke wallow. I'll be doing that to both my 36 and 32 when my Dremel attachment comes in. :thumbsup:

·
Ride Good or Eat Wood
606 Posts
nah don't do it...... as previous Op's have stated, once you commit, there won't be any going back. I don't even bother dragging my hardtail out anymore. My Alu Nomad is the go anywhere bike! Love it!

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
You have to ride one to know if it's the bike for you. My friend has been in love with his for two years and he takes it up and down everything. You should also look at the new HD. I'm seeing more of them every ride and the guys all have great things to say about the Mojos.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you want to look like an expensive sissy man biker buy a MOJO. If you want to look like a real man that attracts super fly women look at a SC bike. I only associate with SC and transition riders all other bike owners are just kooks in spandex! hahaha

·
Registered
52 Posts
Badpichu said:
If you want to look like an expensive sissy man biker buy a MOJO. If you want to look like a real man that attracts super fly women look at a SC bike. I only associate with SC and transition riders all other bike owners are just kooks in spandex! hahaha
you are cool brother. ha ha ha

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
I was hooked on SC bikes since ohhhhh like 1998 or so. They feel great, and fit awesome, and now that I have my own, and am older, they help with my bad knee & bad shoulders ;)

Still awesome bikes, I do see a lot of the older models on the trail, as well as a lot of newer models on the trail. You just have to try one & see if it's for you. It might just be...

Clay

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Badpichu said:
The nomad and the blt2c are both more expensive than the mojo. ;)

·
Threading freely...
325 Posts
Badpichu said:
I don't know about this, but it is true in my area that you see far more dirty SC bikes with good riders of all ages than Mojos. Half the Mojos I've seen here were immaculate bikes being pushed up a hill a SS chromoly rider could climb in the saddle. :rolleyes:

Styling is personal, but some brands have been getting carried away lately. My hardtail is a Spesh, but for 2011 the Spesh colors were enough to make me not even want to try one of their bikes. WTF kind of red & white styling is the Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon? They look ridiculous, like bikes that shouldn't even see dirt.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
polymathic said:
I don't know about this, but it is true in my area that you see far more dirty SC bikes with good riders of all ages than Mojos. Half the Mojos I've seen here were immaculate bikes being pushed up a hill a SS chromoly rider could climb in the saddle. :rolleyes:

Styling is personal, but some brands have been getting carried away lately. My hardtail is a Spesh, but for 2011 the Spesh colors were enough to make me not even want to try one of their bikes. WTF kind of red & white styling is the Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon? They look ridiculous, like bikes that shouldn't even see dirt.
I agree with this. I saw these two guys pushing their MTB's up a shallow hill...one on a Specialized and one on a Turner. The bikes were so clean and pimped up with gaudy paint jobs that I was almost disgusted. At least I think that's why I was disgusted.:lol:

But seriously, polymathic, maybe you're taking all this too seriously. Through our shop I see all manner of riders on all manner of bikes. I don't think the brand necessarily has a lot to do with how good, bad, or otherwise most riders are out on the trail. Plus, I think I'd rather see people at least out there pushing a Specialized up a hill than out hitting golf balls and taking up good MTB trail space for golf courses...even if they're wearing leather short-shorts.:lol:

Attachments

·
Threading freely...
325 Posts
I don't take this seriously at all. It does make me laugh to see someone pushing a pimped $5K 27 lbs 3x9 carbon Mojo up a small hill. That guy asked me as I passed how much longer to the top (I was on a 1990 Hardrock rigid cromoly); I said not long when pedaling, but I wouldn't know pushing. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.