Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
i like cheese.
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started riding recently and have fallen for it completely. bought a rockhopper to get me started, as at the time i wasn't sure if it'd stick. it did. now I am really pushing the entry-level components that came with it. is the frame really worth growing with better components, or should i tough it out and save my cash for something better?

·
Registered
655 Posts
The rockhopper is a plenty capable bike and plenty of bike for a novice or even an intermediate rider in my opinion. Enjoyment isn't measured by the money you spent on your bike. That being said, it's rather unenjoyable to break parts especially mid-ride and have to improvise or hoof it. The likelihood of breakage depends entirely on your style of riding (smooth or brutal), the type of riding (xc, aggressive xc, fr, dh), and the type of trails and climate of locale.

I believe, as a guy who has been riding for over a decade on bike with mid-grade parts, that chances are you will be fine for years. However I ride in the northeast, have stuck to fireroads and singletrack (until recently), don't do much crashing, and take care of my gear. The things you're likely to go through (and things I went through in 10 years on the same bike) are.... chains, rear cogs, rear derrailleur, and brake pads. The rest is personal preference and the list goes up if you start riding hairy trails or fall a bunch.

And remember, if it's weight you care about, most of us can stand to lose 5 pounds off our body, and doing it would be a lot easier and cheaper than taking it off the bike.

·
Humpmaster general
472 Posts
That bikes ok, some sub deore parts, tektro brakes and levers.

I would save my money, because if you switched out some parts, you probably would not be able to tell much of a difference.

besides you will need to save for money for that full suspension bike, you already want.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Truer words have not been spoken. At least for me I'm already looking forward to having enough cash to drop on a dedicated downhill fully suspended rig. Too bad they're so pricey for the longer travel Specialized frames.

·
Registered
118 Posts
bike=good said:
started riding recently and have fallen for it completely. bought a rockhopper to get me started, as at the time i wasn't sure if it'd stick. it did. now I am really pushing the entry-level components that came with it. is the frame really worth growing with better components, or should i tough it out and save my cash for something better?
I am not sure if it's worth repeating what everyone else has already said but I'll do it anyways:

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND TILL THEN JUST ENJOY THE RIDE YOU HAVE NOW.

Focus on the riding experience, not on the bike...

Good to hear that you enjoy riding so much, though.

Pedro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.