Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has some of you may know I recently received my first Fat Bike a Mongoose Hitch the bike is fine but the seat is
what worries me I had to replace the post, seat and seat rails. All the parts came in so of course I took off my older seat attached the new one that was sent I made sure to tighten both sides now I'm a big guy I'm 5'11 and around 295lbs but according to some online reviews on Amazon the bike can hold 350lbs? So why is my seat keep tilting back? I did find the measurements on the seat post its 28.6 mine, are the ones that uses a metal rod that goes through the side and is attached with two nuts on each side. But my main question is would it have been better to have gotten a three wheel bike or do I just need a wider seat because the one I currently have is too narrow and it does hurt I figured with a wider seat and different seat post it could solve my problem.

·
Registered
Gravity DeadEye e-MTB BBSHD, Sturmey 3 2008 Cannondale Chase 2
3 Posts
If you loosen the bolt closest to the front of the bike 3 turns, then tighten the bold closest to the back of the bike 3 turns you should notice that the seat angles forward. Tune as necessary. If you need to install a wider seat you should do so.

And don't buy an adult 3-wheeler. Look how eager the bullies are.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hm, the post OP describes sounds like the low end casual steel seatpost and clamp. The post is a straight tube, usually reduced diameter at top where the clamp assembly clamps on. The clamp has a single threaded rod going through, big nuts on each end. There's a round area with ridged teeth that is supposed to keep it from rotating. For heavy duty use it just isn't holding. Most of the people on this board have posts that have two bolts, one forward and one rear of the clamp. They don't slip once tightened. Under extreme conditions they won't slip, but a bolt can snap given enough stress.

·
Sneaker man
3,379 Posts
Yeah I think the OP has more this sort of post and seat assembly (sorry for terrible pic, only one I could find fast.

It's never going to work too well.

A wider seat won't necessarily help, breaking in your butt to riding will help a lot.

Something like a Thompson Elite will be stron and maybe made in the size you need, then a good saddle... but then thats $$$

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
OP your issue may not be the saddle or post, it may be you. What did you want from the change? If it was comfort , a wider saddle may not get you what you want. Every body has as part of it's make up two boney protrusions off it's hips. Those can be different from body to body. You should be sitting on those points when on a saddle. So what you are looking for is a saddle that is wide enough for your protrusions ,but not too wide. You may ask ,how do I know what that measurement is, well there are ways, Specialized uses what they call a "ass o meter" all that is is a piece of memory foam . You sit on it and someone measures the indentations . Some shops use a piece of cardboard. Also some shops have demo programs for saddles . Another issue is that your body isn't use to sitting on any saddle ,that takes time to adapt ,you need to ride at least a couple of times a week. You will notice that there are shorts made for cycling ,there are very good reasons for that, they don't have seams that can rub in the wrong places ,they can have a built in padding that can provide more comfort ,the material is breathable and sweat evaporates .

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
Yeah I think the OP has more this sort of post and seat assembly (sorry for terrible pic, only one I could find fast.

A wider seat won't necessarily help, breaking in your butt to riding will help a lot.

Something like a Thompson Elite will be stron and maybe made in the size you need, then a good saddle... but then thats $$$

lol, that's an awesome pic, love the custom brake lever!

The seat in the pic probably won't stay tight but that's because it isn't installed correctly, those clamps are janky but if you grease the threads and install it right it will stay tight, even for a big guy. Most 3-wheelers with those giant tractor seats use that type of seat clamp.

·
Registered
Gravity DeadEye e-MTB BBSHD, Sturmey 3 2008 Cannondale Chase 2
3 Posts
A unicycle, or an old-school dropper post.

·
well mannered lout
2,767 Posts
First off, welcome KC0719! Next...no you don't need a trike!

Getting into cycling and especially mountain biking isn't an easy thing for the first couple of weeks so take your time, but be confident...you can do this. It's not a huge step up in fitness to get comfortable enough to enjoy your bike.

Your Mongoose is a better box store bike, but not a shop quality bike, and they have to make a lot of compromises to be able to sell them for the price they do. It's not going to be the best parts and the seatpost failure isn't surprising. If you have a friend that's into bikes, let him/her check your bike over for things like spoke tension and brakes and stuff.

I also am living large, and there's a sub forum here for us Clydesdales. Try to get your info from there...Amazon reviews really aren't going to lead you to success. Good parts are going to be more expensive than you like, but you won't need the best of the best. My go-to saddle is the WTB Speed (yes, in wide) with / steel rails. I think they're around $35.

I hope you love it.

Mojo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Just like that and is that a hand brake?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,716 Posts
it's an oddball brake, could be a unicycle or a fixie. thinking unicycle.

Reactions: KC0719

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
The width of your "sitz" bones will determine the width of saddle you need. Frequently they spec bikes with a small saddle that is way too narrow.

I'd suggest going to a bike shop to see what kind of saddles you can find and if they can measure you for width. They may have some cheap takeoff saddles available.

You may also end up having to buy a seat post if they can't get yours to stay in place. It's frustrating but also the cost of comfort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The width of your "sitz" bones will determine the width of saddle you need. Frequently they spec bikes with a small saddle that is way too narrow.

I'd suggest going to a bike shop to see what kind of saddles you can find and if they can measure you for width. They may have some cheap takeoff saddles available.

You may also end up having to buy a seat post if they can't get yours to stay in place. It's frustrating but also the cost of comfort.
I already bought a new seat post just now need the new seat;)

·
Sneaker man
3,379 Posts
the problem is the type of seatpost and seat, they are not your normal setup, so not so easy to just slap a new seat on.
I'd say get a normal post, but that size will be hard to find...so something like this would fit the bill and be super strong-ish:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts