Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

29er? Yes/No?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, It appears that it's time to retire the 3 month old Wal-Mart piece of garbage and purchase a real steed. This bike has caught my eye:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/SEC-29-Details.html

I ride mostly in dense woods and singletracks littered with roots. I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I've never ridden a 29er, but I would imagine it's what it was like when I got my first 26er when I was 10. Is it that much harder to get the bike in motion? The Ibex specs claim that the wheelbase is 41", which is actually .5" shorter than my current bike. Are the 29ers that much harder to maneuver? Overall, logic tells me that I should go for it, but I do have a case of nagging doubt.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
croscoe said:
Well, It appears that it's time to retire the 3 month old Wal-Mart piece of garbage and purchase a real steed. This bike has caught my eye:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/SEC-29-Details.html

I ride mostly in dense woods and singletracks littered with roots. I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I've never ridden a 29er, but I would imagine it's what it was like when I got my first 26er when I was 10. Is it that much harder to get the bike in motion? The Ibex specs claim that the wheelbase is 41", which is actually .5" shorter than my current bike. Are the 29ers that much harder to maneuver? Overall, logic tells me that I should go for it, but I do have a case of nagging doubt.
ANY good mtb is going to be easier to ride than a Wal-Mart special.

If the Ibex appeals to you, get it.

(29" wheels eat roots alive)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shiggy. I'm one of the "I'll buy a cheap bike to see if I enjoy riding" guys. I put up with pedaling the 45lb POS around for a while. I'm waiting on Ibex to reply to my email to see if I can have the frame powdercoating without voiding the warranty like other manufacturers. I really don't want to spend more than a grand at this point.

·
Ride, Sleep, Work
379 Posts
I would go for it. I just got back from racing my 29er @ the Silver Rush 50 in Leadville, CO. I thought I was going to get rocked, but the 29er ROCKED the course. It was so smooth in the rocks and roots.

Buy it now.(Said in a booming voice)

·
Registered
803 Posts
29er yes, but for that money, would you not look at the other steel production bikes? no LBS near you to demo other bikes?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
To the OP - Absolutely go for it, 29ers rock :thumbsup:

To MichaelW...how was the course up in Leadville?

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Kona

Haro
and several others have 29's at or near your budget. Keep looking , and ride them before you buy.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
MichaelW said:
I would go for it. I just got back from racing my 29er @ the Silver Rush 50 in Leadville, CO. I thought I was going to get rocked, but the 29er ROCKED the course. It was so smooth in the rocks and roots.

Buy it now.(Said in a booming voice)
I would go for it too!! I was on a rigid 29er SS @ the SR50 also, the bike was on fire all day long (threw down a faster time than any of my 26" efforts, geared or not)!!:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts