Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started biking last year on my friends FS bike(Giant). Got hooked and want ot buy my own of course. I was going to go shopping for a full-supension XC bike this weekend. For my price range, I was looking at the FSR Pro or Kona Kikapu. Now another friend's buddy buys a new bike evrey year, and is now selling his 04 Enduro Comp for half the retail price. he has ridin' it once a week or so, and cleans it after every ride. He works for a Bike section of a Sports store.

Now I was looking for a xc bike, with the intention of getting into some racing later. Would this be a good bike for what I want? And would this be a good deal?
I like the idea of the lockout and that it is a versatile bike.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Roundcat said:
I started biking last year on my friends FS bike(Giant). Got hooked and want ot buy my own of course. I was going to go shopping for a full-supension XC bike this weekend. For my price range, I was looking at the FSR Pro or Kona Kikapu. Now another friend's buddy buys a new bike evrey year, and is now selling his 04 Enduro Comp for half the retail price. he has ridin' it once a week or so, and cleans it after every ride. He works for a Bike section of a Sports store.

Now I was looking for a xc bike, with the intention of getting into some racing later. Would this be a good bike for what I want? And would this be a good deal?
I like the idea of the lockout and that it is a versatile bike.
if the bikes in good condition, yeah, buy it...as for racing xc, you will have better luck with an epic or full sus stumpjumper...

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
This is not your last bike

Sometimes opportunities present themselves which leave you not exactly where you wanted to be but there are other benefits that may tip the scales in favor of this bike: price, condition.
You buy this bike at half retail and learn to ride a duallie and learn more about mtb in general. You could do a lot worse. IF you get into racing you will get something else after a while. You will probably be able to get 70% of your money out of the used bike when you sell it in turn. By that time you will know more about what your next move should be.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
Sometimes opportunities present themselves which leave you not exactly where you wanted to be but there are other benefits that may tip the scales in favor of this bike: price, condition.
You buy this bike at half retail and learn to ride a duallie and learn more about mtb in general. You could do a lot worse. IF you get into racing you will get something else after a while. You will probably be able to get 70% of your money out of the used bike when you sell it in turn. By that time you will know more about what your next move should be.
My experience is exactly what Mike describes. I got a great deal on my current 02 Enduro (had it for almost 2 years now) but now I know I really don't need that much travel. Especially since I've raced a couple of times and would definitely benefit from something lighter.
If it's a good deal then go for it but if you know you're going to race you'll want something lighter.

Lou.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all you're input. The amount of travel on the Enduro may be to much for just XC riding. I don't think I'll be coming down 6' jumps or climbing up a tree for that matter. lol. But you never know, I'm just starting. Like it was said, you learn with your first bike I guess.

Roundcat

·
Registered
131 Posts
get it

Roundcat said:
Thanks for all you're input. The amount of travel on the Enduro may be to much for just XC riding. I don't think I'll be coming down 6' jumps or climbing up a tree for that matter. lol. But you never know, I'm just starting. Like it was said, you learn with your first bike I guess.

Roundcat
hey,

that is a great deal on a good trail bike. the enduro is a great first mtn bike, which you can ride cross country on....it will climb well and bomb downhill, plus you will have a plush ride.....if you want to race, you may want a shorter travel bike with slightly different geometry, but i would still keep the enduro for trail riding. you might even want to start racing on the enduro just to see if you like racing......

·
Registered
392 Posts
I ride an Enduro...would I consider it raceable? Sure, anything is. The way I see it is, if you start racing, you're not gonna just pop into the scene and start whooping up on the pros and seasoned riders. The Enduro would be more than enough platform to be competitive amongster the younger and newer riders. Once you're out performing the bike, then it'd be time to look for something new.

Don't forget, the enduro has the itch switch, you can lower your rear suspension to 4 inches instantly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Turns out he is not selling it for another month, and it's actually a '03. It does not have the iTch like the '04. I did try a new '03 at his store that had 1/3 the price marked off, nice ride but I realized it's probably not what I looking for. I visited many store this weekend, got my eye set on something else.
Thanks again for you're inputs.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Roundcat said:
Turns out he is not selling it for another month, and it's actually a '03. It does not have the iTch like the '04. I did try a new '03 at his store that had 1/3 the price marked off, nice ride but I realized it's probably not what I looking for. I visited many store this weekend, got my eye set on something else.
Thanks again for you're inputs.
My 03 has an itch, sure its not an 02?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.