Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at getting a tool kit. I just got a repair stand but need some tools as mine are limited and low quality. A friend of mine is a great mechanic and he shows me alot. I'm also considering a book on repair. I know many people are against tool "kits" but I don't want to drive to the LBS to pay a high price or wait for an order to come in every time I need a new tool. I found the pedros master tool kit on nashbar for $319. It's way more than I need right now but it seems that it will be cheaper in the long run as you couldn't get all of this seperately for the price. And i figure the only way I will get better at repair is to actually do it. Anyway, at the sale price is this a good deal, good kit? Thanks in advance.

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm...and=&sku=15419&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

·
Registered
205 Posts
I say go for it. It always feels great when you can do some of your own repairs. You'll save some $$ and be able to buy another bike. I do my own work because I can't get the level of service I expect from my lbs'.

J

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I think you could do better by building your own tool kit as needed and get better quality as well. Do you really need those headset tools? (You have a threaded headset?) You need all three spoke wrenches? (You use three different gauges?) You need the screwdrivers and crescent wrenches? (Your regular tool box doesn't already have these?). You need all those different sized cone wrenches? (What hubs do you have?)

If you're really devoid of tools and will work on a wide variety of bikes, some of these kits make sense but otherwise you'll often find they're good dumping grounds for marginally useful tools.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Throw up a picture and description of your bike and the people here can tell you of any tools you currently need and ones you may buy because you will need them in the future. This will be cheaper and will result in better quality tools.

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
I do not recommend

You can get similar tool set from performance bike around $109
see link below
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16571&item=40-1486&slitrk=search&slisearch=true#

I use that set for my bike repairs. Tools are not the best quality/durability, but for home mechanic it is more then sufficient. Unless you are doing repairs everyday, then you need better bike. I found that I do not use tools too often to justify high quality/high price, I perform repairs/adjustment once a month. Though I always like to have a right tool for the right job.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Gevorg said:
You can get similar tool set from performance bike around $109
see link below
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=16571&item=40-1486&slitrk=search&slisearch=true#

I use that set for my bike repairs. Tools are not the best quality/durability, but for home mechanic it is more then sufficient. Unless you are doing repairs everyday, then you need better bike. I found that I do not use tools too often to justify high quality/high price, I perform repairs/adjustment once a month. Though I always like to have a right tool for the right job.
How good of quality are those tools? I may be wrong but they look cheap. Non of the steel appears to be any kind of hardened tool steel. I hate cheap tools!

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
GearHead said:
How good of quality are those tools? I may be wrong but they look cheap. Non of the steel appears to be any kind of hardened tool steel. I hate cheap tools!
Like I said before, they are not the best quality but they get job done. I hate cheap tols too, when I have to use them everyday, but for ocassional use that toolset is OK. But consider the following questions when you want $3 cheap tool vs. $20 durable expensive tool.
How many times a year do you replace chain?
How many times a year do you change bottom bracket?
How many timne do you replace threaded headset?
How many times you clean/adjust hubs?
It is a personal choice.
My approach is as follows if I am using it everyday, I will buy the best tool, if I am using only 3-4 times a year then I will get cheap tool and spend extra money on a better parts for my bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I wanted the pedros set but didn't want to spend the money, so I was looking for some reason to buy or not buy from the post. I pretty much know what tools I need for my bikes, but wanted a little more so I do have it if needed. I considered the spin doctor set because of the value but I get extremely pissed if a wrench gets soft on me. I'll probably get the park ak-32 set. If I were to get all of the Park tools individualy that I need/want I would come out about the same price so I'll get the set with some extra tools for free. They are going for about $180 all day on ebay.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
adaml said:
Thanks for the replies. I wanted the pedros set but didn't want to spend the money, so I was looking for some reason to buy or not buy from the post. I pretty much know what tools I need for my bikes, but wanted a little more so I do have it if needed. I considered the spin doctor set because of the value but I get extremely pissed if a wrench gets soft on me. I'll probably get the park ak-32 set. If I were to get all of the Park tools individualy that I need/want I would come out about the same price so I'll get the set with some extra tools for free. They are going for about $180 all day on ebay.
That is a really good kit to start with. A couple of more things to buy separately that are good to have:

-a set of metric allen keys, the 3-way hex keys are one of my favourite tools BUT they will not get into all of the tight places (FD clamp on FS, FS pivots, etc).

-a sharp awl, used to open up the liner inside shifter or brake cable housing after you cut the housing.

-an external BB tool if desired, you can now get a socket style to be used with a torque wrench. Most people just use the wrench style BB tool for external BB's.

-an old Shimano steel rear wheel skewer (like the ones you get with trainers), use this to go through the rear hub/BB axle to hold the cassette lockring tool/BB tool in place, it will make the job much easier and reduce any wear on the splines of these tools.

-3/8" drive TORX bit socket set down to T-25, used for removing disc rotors and a few other odd places.
- a 10 mm hex key (covered below), used remove freehubs off of Shimano hubs.

- a 3/8" metric Hex key set that ranges from 4 mm to 10 mm, to be used with torque wrench.

- a 3/8" drive torque wrench which is capable or measuring torque in both left and right hand threaded applications. The one below is nice as it goes low enough to cover rotor bolts, stems bolts, and suspension bolts. It will not cover BB or crank arm bolts though.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944560000&subcat=Torque+Wrenches

- a Parktool DAG-1, derailleur hanger alignment gauge.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Tool quality

Gevorg said:
Like I said before, they are not the best quality but they get job done. I hate cheap tols too, when I have to use them everyday, but for ocassional use that toolset is OK. But consider the following questions when you want $3 cheap tool vs. $20 durable expensive tool.
How many times a year do you replace chain?
How many times a year do you change bottom bracket?
How many timne do you replace threaded headset?
How many times you clean/adjust hubs?
It is a personal choice.
My approach is as follows if I am using it everyday, I will buy the best tool, if I am using only 3-4 times a year then I will get cheap tool and spend extra money on a better parts for my bike.
Turn that thought around and look at it from another perspective. I think of tools as a life long investment. How many times IN YOUR LIFETIME will you replace a chain, change a bottom bracket, tighten hubs, replace components, etc. If you consider it in those terms, it makes sense to buy good quality tools. EVERY time that I have decided to go "cheap" and buy an inexpensive tool I have ultimately regretted it. Pay a little more, get good tools, and spend the rest of your life using and enjoying them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.