Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at getting discs for my stock trek 8300 I know it is a cheap bike but... well it is what I have. I have been riding more in wet conditions and downhill in the wet I would like to get something that works better. I was thinking about these?
HAYES MX-2 DISCS I can get the whole set up including levers for $90 shipped. :thumbsup: I thought this was pretty good for the front and rear I know hydraulic are better but I wanted to stay under $100 with levers. Should I just get a front instead and get something hydraulic?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
You could get just the front.. and get Avid BB7s or BB5s... they are the best mechanicals...

You could also find Shimano Deore hydros for a little over $100 if you look around.. they are very good...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice deal

Nice deal on a decent set of disc brakes. The only other recommendation I could make is to look hard for a set of Avid BB5's and use the existing levers. You should be able to get them for less than $100. Other than that, I'd go ahead and get the Hayes!

Bob

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Like Clyde said, you should already have the levers so no reason to get new ones, spend it all on the calipers and rotors. BB5 or 7's are prob the most used mech discs out there, the MX2's aren't a bd set either especially for under $100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.