or something else?

~1100 limit

im 5'11 155lbs

looking for something i can take on trails and road with almost everyday

what will be the best bike for my $?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just dropped $1100 last week on a new Rockhopper Pro Disc. I don't have it yet so I can't attest to the quality, ridability, or frankly anything at all. However here is the thinking that went into the decision....

1. I'm tall and heavy, 6'5" 250 and the frame is beefed up for "aggressive XC" or "lite freeriding" depending on how you want to look at it. Either way it should be strong

2. I compared it to a lot of other bikes, including marked down Stumpjumpers at the local shop. While the components and weight were better a few things were not to my liking...

3. The particular Rockhopper has stronger wheels (Sun Singletracks), pricey-ish upgrade if someone my size tacos a wheel later...

4. The 80mm of fork travel on the classic XC stumpers was kinda shabby in my opinion compared to the 130mm Marzocchi Drop Off FR fork, but again, look at my intended use (lite FR with XC thrown in)...

5. Finally, I don't do road riding with the exception of bombing around town looking for staircases and small drops. So the plan is to throw some meaty 2.5" slicks on there and go to town. Probably not your plan.

6. Compared to the Konas I looked at, all of which came with hydrolic discs (which I wanted), the RH's cable discs really aren't that pricey an upgrade considering upgrading the fork and wheels of other offerings totaled more $$$ by comparison.

In conclusion, I went with the $1100 RH because it met my fairly unique needs. I could have gone cheaper and more XC and upgraded later, but the "big ticket" upgrades I would be making were more likely to actually see me spending more money (wheels, fork, cranks, brakes).

When the bike shows up later this week I'll need a good month or two to really figure out if it was a wise purchase. Either way I think you can't go wrong with a Rockhopper or Stumpjumper.

(wow I was no help at all! bravo to me!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
No problem! I even managed to edit my post a little so it made more sense about what the RH offered that the others did not. It took me weeks to decide what kind of bike to buy, and the $1100 price point is PACKED with a lot of hardtails from different makers, not just Specialized. Though frankly being a long time Specialized customer, I can say they aren't as "cool" as a smaller builder but they do treat ya right.

Last nugget of advice: Go to a Specialized shop and see what they have left from 2004. You can get some pretty serious discounts. But that's what it sounds like you're doing anyways.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Lee said:
or something else?

~1100 limit

im 5'11 155lbs

looking for something i can take on trails and road with almost everyday

what will be the best bike for my $?
The base model Stumpjumper MSRP is $1300,00. So I am guessing you have found a place that will give you a deal.

The Stumpy and Rockhopper are both good bikes. The frames are well made and the components are pretty good, really. But if I were in it with a $1100.00 budget I would shoot for the Rockhopper Pro Disc or Comp Disc. You'll get more of the bike you'll want I think.

Having said that, You also want to try the bikes out, see how they feel when you ride them, how well they respond to you on the trail and road. You would do well to check out KONA, Giant, GT, Jamis, Rocky Mountain and so on. These days you pretty much can't go wrong with a quality manufactured bike, unless you let it gather dust in the garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.