Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone on here enjoys bikes of all kinds. I personally have a Bianchi San Jose SS (road) and a Vassago Jabberwocky SS (mountain). I was thinking lately about getting a bike that I can just throw on some flip flops and take it to the park, but I always feel the need to gear up for a ride with my other bikes. I have been looking into a Crown Cycle bike...cool company owned by 2 guys in SoCal. Anyone have any opinions about cruiser style bikes??? Just thought it would be nice to have a bike for some casual rides. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
big_slacker said:
Why not? Someone on this board once said everyone should have one road, one mountain and one dork bike. Good advice. :D
I like that quote! I was telling my wife that I need a bike for bouncing around town, and she said why?? Now I know why!! I NEED A DORK BIKE!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
lidarman said:
Cruiser bikes are great. They take away any urge to make a ride a race.....ok maybe not.
:lol:

I remember a day in grad school with me on my commuter and some old prof on his Schwinn with a basket full of books on front and both of us headed to campus. We came together on the same street and at first went at a leisurely pace. We both then started gradually speeding up until we split ways but were still a block apart and could see each other at the intersections. By the end of the ride I was giving it all I had and my last view of him was standing on his Schwinn pumping for all he was worth. I would see him occasionally after that day but our timing was such that proof of our manhood never needed to be born out again in a street duel. I always wished the opportunity would arise to buy him a beer sometime and have a good chuckle.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
wouldn't it be easier if you just threw on a wifebeater, board shorts and flip flops and rode the Vassago around? if you're not ridin flats just throw on some wellgos and you're stylin.
\iii/

·
3,707 Posts
Ok, I wouldn't get a Murray or Huffy, or any other lead piped bike, but there are some good deals on craigslist. I personally bought an OLD school Specialized Hardrock for a beater/cruiser for something like $35. Took off the gears and running it singlespeed. I like not having to worry about it when leaving it out at the various destinations.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
53119 said:
wouldn't it be easier if you just threw on a wifebeater, board shorts and flip flops and rode the Vassago around? if you're not ridin flats just throw on some wellgos and you're stylin.
\iii/
I have been riding the Vassago, but the gearing (32-20) is too slow for cruising around town. Plus, my bike is pretty loaded with high end parts and I hate leaving it unattended. I just bought a Crown Cycle Co. bike. They are $250, but they are only made in small batches (100), so they are always unique. Spoke with the guy that owns the company, and he was really cool...had a great philosophy on bikes. I will post a pic and overall opinion of it asap.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dion said:
Dude, seriously set your budget at $150 and search on craigslist - there are tons of cool Schwinns, Murrays, Huffys and other swanky rides. I have a website: www.beaterbikegallery.com dedicated to "dork bikes"

I wish more people would submit to it!
Found a Electra Straight 8 like this on Craigslist for about $150 a few years ago...cruise around in flip flops with my kid to the park, down some longer bike paths on rainy weekends. It's a blast to just screw around with no particular pace or destination. Best fun...all the kids in the neighborhood like it when I ride up/down the street with them on it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
texacajun said:
Found a Electra Straight 8 like this on Craigslist for about $150 a few years ago...cruise around in flip flops with my kid to the park, down some longer bike paths on rainy weekends. It's a blast to just screw around with no particular pace or destination. Best fun...all the kids in the neighborhood like it when I ride up/down the street with them on it.

That is my cruiser. Love it

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
vindiggitydog said:
I was thinking lately about getting a bike that I can just throw on some flip flops and take it to the park
Dare I suggest, that's what platforms are for ?

Since I'm not a racer and just ride for enjoyment, I've converted nearly my entire stable to platforms.

The clipless pedals have been gathering dust in box. The only time I ride clipless anymore is the roadie.

"Dork Bikes" are the fashion now, if you need an excuse to buy another bike, than go for it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Dork Bikes" are the fashion now, if you need an excuse to buy another bike, than go for it.[/QUOTE]
I am quite aware of platforms, but the point I was making is that I wanted a bike with a more upright laid back geo. Plus I am making excuses to buy another bike.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.