Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
First post on this forum. I have a bit of a problem here. I have a 2006 Norco Bigfoot that is in pretty rough shape unfortunately. I have not gone mountain biking in years and during that time my bike has stayed outside and has suffered a little bit.

Well now I'm looking to get back into it but don't know if this bike is even worth fixing. The only things that are still good on the bike are the frame, wheels and tires. I love the frame and how sturdy it is but fixing it would involve a new fork, handle bars, cassette, chain, maybe rear brake and other things possibly.

I'm new to fixing and building bikes so if I were to fix it, I would have no clue as to what parts I could used and what not. So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
What would be the budget for a new bike? Depending on how bad things are to replace those parts you could be looking at between 500$ and 1000$ to get the rideable. You could be over estimating what you need ,forks and wheels could be rebuilt. If the chain and cassette are rusty you might get away with just replacing the chain. Photos would help .

·
Registered
666 Posts
My thought would be that the bike is 8 yrs old, to me it does not seem to make a lot of sense to pump more than $600 into this rig......but what do I know....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I brought it to my bike store and he told me that the fork is pretty much a lost cause but I don't know, maybe he was just trying to get me to spend some money. My budget is quite high actually. If I buy a bike, I want something that I won't regret buying in a couple years. Thing is that bikes changed so much since I was biking that I don't even know what I'm looking for anymore.

I basically want a freeride bike capable of doing a little bit of jumping and downhill while not being completely useless at everything else.

I don't really need DS but I wouldn't mind something like an NS soda, Jamis Parker or Marin mount vision. Like I said, I just want a freeride bike but no one seems to be making that anymore.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow to give you a better idea of what kind of condition my bike is in. I really liked the feel of it but like Rocky said, I don't know if it would be worth pumping that kind of money into that sort of bike.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
All mountain kind of took the place of Free ride. You would be better off replacing the bike for what you want to do. Look at the Santa Cruz Bronson or Nomad. Look at the all mountain forum for more ideas.Also MTBR just did reviews of bikes that would fit what you are looking for.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If your budget is high, thn invest it in a new rig. Why build up an old frame.

Newer bikes have different geometry,that sound like they will suit your needs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hard to recommend a bike really, because a person may just take your word for it straight off, order it from the net and then hate what they get.

Try going on youtube and typing things like, bike magazine review. You'll find lots of reviews for bikes were you can see them being tested, then a group of guys sit around and discuss the bike in question.

I too am not very knowledgeable when it comes to buying parts that fit, so i personaly wouldn't risk building it up. Unless you can find someone to do it for you, but that'll be an additional cost. If it's an older frame, may be best to get a new bike.

I'v seen lot's of bikes that i'm sure would be fantastic from some of the brands like Santa Cruz, Specialized, and Trek. My only criticism of them, is that they aren't always the best in terms of VFM. Bikes are great, but tend to be wallet heavy.

In that respect, i prefer the German brands. They seem to be very astute at cutting out middle men and so keeping costs lower. You will get that little bit more for your money. Check out brands like, Radon, Cube and Canyon.

Canyon will be the cheapest, but you can only buy from them direct online, so do your homework to improve your chances of a good fit. I went with Cube. The deciding factor for me was the testing they put there bikes through.

All bikes have to pass a certain standard of testing, but Cube go way above the norm, and basically beat the hell out of there stuff, so you know it's bullet proof before you buy. What impressed my most, was the fact they test not just there own stuff such as the frames etc, but every single component they put on there bikes, whether it be Shimano, Sram, Fox, whatever. Just puts a little extra confidence in to your purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like I have some thinking to do. I noticed there was a big sale on price point and I would be able to replace the fork with a circus expert. New front and back derailleurs and new handlebars for about 400$ seeing as the fork was 475 down to 250. Would that be a decent option because these are higher quality parts than what I would get for ~1500$ bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts