Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My xc/trailbike has Avid Juciys and just got 7" rotors - they're very powerful brakes and maybe with the 7" rotors too powerful for XC riding - esp on that poweder sugar coated trails in the Boise foothills this time of year.

I got a Reign (not x) built as light freeride bike and I'm learning on it. I got Hayes 9 with smaller rotors and the brakes aren't quite as powerful as the avids I want to go do a couple DH runs at the resorts with some buds real soon. Should I move the Avids over to the beginner-freeride bike and put the Hayes on the trailbike?

Is this a dumb question? if so sorry!

· Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
One thing about the Hayes I don't like is, I found out, the seal on the brake fluid body is vulnerable in a crash. I splatted learning to do a skinny up to this "goalpost drop" and the little seal broke and I lost all my front brake fluid! Now, One would think a vital thing would be out ot the way!!!!

· Portland, OR
3,100 Posts
The nine's aren't so bad. they'll be fine on your XC bike. I've got juicy 7's in the mail, they'll be replacing my HFX-9 brakes, which will then replace the hayes mechanicals on my FR hardtail.

· Me hates pinchflat
2,408 Posts
todd_freeride said:
yea, But I haven't heard anything from him yet :confused: I'll have to give him a call tomorrow.

he's awesome to work with.
Yeah, he sometimes takes a bit of time answering emails

· Shwing
153 Posts
Idk, i have hayes 9 XC's i use on my Cove Shocker that r three yrs old and they r like gifts from god, I have only had to bleed them once and they work better then my friends Hope mono 6s and my brothers juicy 7s.

· Me hates pinchflat
2,408 Posts
nano5467 said:
Idk, i have hayes 9 XC's i use on my Cove Shocker that r three yrs old and they r like gifts from god, I have only had to bleed them once and they work better then my friends Hope mono 6s and my brothers juicy 7s.
either your hayes are blessed, or the other brakes you tried had a sh!tty setup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.