Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Can't quite tell the brand or model, but it looks like an xc bike. If that is true then it's not a downhill frame and all the customizing in the world won't make that frame strong enough to withstand very many 6 foot drops or many serious dh runs before you start snapping things.

So since you don't give enough information and I'm forced to guess my guess is you have an xc bike and you need a new bike to do dh and bigger drops than your current ride is able to safely perform.

·
silly person
629 Posts
Yeah, from what I've read it looks like you've got 3.5 inch travel rear, and 3.5 - 4 front. It's really set up as a low end XC FS. If you try using it for 6ft drops you may well run into trouble with the rims, frame, forks, pretty well everything actually.

Realistically, IMO, a hard landing with that bike could result in a very expensive trip to the bike shop.

Anyway, take what I say with a pinch of salt, as I'm not a DH/FR rider. However there's no way in hell I'd ride it off a six foot drop.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Save for a new bike

The bike in the pic is a Mongoose Wing Comp. This bike is not meant for the type of riding you describe, and you should not attempt to modify or upgrade it for aggressive riding. It is probably suitable for light XC riding, but if your intention is to do jumps and downhill type riding, you need to start saving for a bike that is engineered and manufactured for that purpose. As for a recommendation, there are too many to mention. Start by looking in the product reviews section of this site, specifically the downhill or freeride full suspension bikes. Read up on these bikes, educate yourself on them as best you can, and then begin narrowing down your choices.

Best wishes in finding the right ride.

Bob

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
read the

very 1st post. It's a dept store level bike. Don't spend a nickel on it as Clyde says. Jim

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
yea, dont waste your money on that bike. I hope you havent been doing 6 foot jumps and downhill on that bike. save up for something decient. like a really beefy hardtail or a stinky or something.

what are you able to spend ?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
I wouldn't do DH on that bike/...look into getting a used Stinky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts