Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More then a month ago I finished building my ML2.
I decided to go with the XT crankset because almost everybody use it.
A week ago I saw for the first time the Truvative Noir crankset and I just can't stop thinking about it.

What do you say, should I change to the Noir?
Is it that much better then the XT?
Anybody even tried the Noir?

·
Registered
367 Posts
You said youve got XT crank for several months. If it is still n good shape, go ebay it (or donate it)
If not, use it till it drops. It is a great crank, good looking & stiff, but the chainrings wear out easier than FSA or Raceface, tho
But life is too short to think abt things u really want in this world.
Isnt it good advice? :D

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Is it worth it? I don't think so. If you had a lowend crankset, maybe, but XT is good. You won't notice any difference with noir.

So go for it if you just want to spend it based on the "bling" factor, and maybe longer chainring life....

·
Relentless forward motion
354 Posts
Xt versue Noir

I've have the Xt and they were plenty stiff (and now on my wife's Trance)... just a bit heavier. I think the turely quanifiable difference is the Noir with BB sheds like 60g (if that is important)... and the price.

The rings on the Noir are surely harder and look nicer (longer lasting... in theory, but I don't know yet). The Shimano rings are famous for their shifting smoothness. I don't really notice a differrence. The Noir shift very well for me... so did the Xt. Draw... but, the shimano has the reputation and design advantage for the rings.

The Shimano BB was not good by my experience. It was not so smooth in dusty terrian or when it was muddy... by my experience anyways... I did notice it... and one shimano BB of mine seized up within three months (maybe it was defective... I didn't pursue it). I'm sure they work well overall.

I then switched from the Xt to the stylo with the giga pipe... and the BB was very smooth compared to the shimano BB.... over the course of one colorado season including winter. I suppose that I developed some "faith" in the Truvativ BBs due to this.

On my RX, I elected to go with the Noir... the BB is VERY smooth as I expected... the crank arms seem very durable after a month or so of rocky single track and bagging many rocks... (they clean up very well too, BTW). They are certainly stiff, so I don't feel like I am loosing any power transfer... I have a good feeling they will last many years of hard riding...

the Noir seemed like a good compromise when I conidered the cost of the 2007 XTR (which I believe most would agree are the best when factoring weight, shifting and stiffness).

I have no regrets... they look good too... and are not one every bike (again, if that's important). I saw them on sale at Colorado Cyclist for 389.00 (seems like a pretty good price I guess).

They're both very good though... and in the end... if weight is high on the list (you have a Racer X right?)... then go with Noir and spend some extra money... otherwise, the only advantage I can see (from my personal experience) is the BB... the Giga Pipe. Maybe this helped???

·
Relentless forward motion
354 Posts
yea.. i caught it... you have an ML

sorry... nice frame though! Titus is excellent!

·
The Crow
946 Posts
In last month's mbr crank group test they weren't too impressed with it. XTR came out tops. It's lighter,stronger and cheaper than the Truvativ.
Truvativ: UKP320 820g
Cranks: 8/10
Rings: 9/10
BB: 6/10
Value: 6/10
Overall: 7/10
Notes: Good looking and great rings, but high price and shortlived BB
Shimano: UKP260, 767g
Cranks: 10/10
BB: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Overall: 9/10
Superlight, stiff, and so far impressively durable, all at a fair price.

Other crank that faired well was Middleburn's RS7 with Shimano UN-72 BB.
Middleburn: UKP250 898g
Cranks: 9/10
BB: 9/10
Vaue: 8/10
Overall: 9/10
Tough, versatile, great rings and the best BB ever.

And...just so you can compare...
Shimano XT: UKP125 872g
Cranks: 9/10
Rings: 7/10
BB: 7/10
Value: 9/10
Overall: 8/10
Average BB and rings, but these XT cranks are superb

Hope that helps...

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
I think that beautiful black finish would look like rubbish after a few proper all-mountain thrashings. Nice thing about the XT's is that they stay pretty new looking even after years of abuse.

German Mountain Bike Magazine rated the XT cranks their highest (rare) 5 star rating a few years ago.

·
Registered
631 Posts
dulyebr said:
I think that beautiful black finish would look like rubbish after a few proper all-mountain thrashings. Nice thing about the XT's is that they stay pretty new looking even after years of abuse.

German Mountain Bike Magazine rated the XT cranks their highest (rare) 5 star rating a few years ago.
Just saw a set of Noirs on a bike at a race on Sat. Owner claimed he's had them since mid June. They looked quite worn ala previous generation XTR. The dude rode light XC only and even then mainly on double track. I was previously thinking of getting a set of Noirs. Glad I saw this guys cranks. IF I decide to upgrade from my Stylos, I'll save my pennies for XTR's.

cheers,
simp

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
simplton said:
Just saw a set of Noirs on a bike at a race on Sat. Owner claimed he's had them since mid June. They looked quite worn ala previous generation XTR. The dude rode light XC only and even then mainly on double track. I was previously thinking of getting a set of Noirs. Glad I saw this guys cranks. IF I decide to upgrade from my Stylos, I'll save my pennies for XTR's.

cheers,
simp
Simp,

I second that - my stylos are beginning to move around on the BB a little now, but nothing I can't live with for now. 3 of my friends are now on the new XTR cranks, and they sure look good, even after a few months of abuse.

Cheers,

P.

·
Registered
370 Posts
SSINGA said:
The new XTR is light. I weighed mine this AM at 810g with the bottom bracket, all 3 spacers and a FSA poly-carb bash ring.
I weighed a set last night (175mm) with all three rings and BB and it came to 790. They are indeed lightweight.

I have a set of 177.5, I'm going to weight hopefully tonight. I'm hoping they aren't much more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.