Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like riding aggressive XC trails for tech climbs and descents so I am riding a 5.75 with Fat Albert 2.4s at 20-30lbs of pressure. I am going to do my first race in a really long time (only have done 3 or 4 ever) and I don't know if I should ride what I am used to or get some thinner/narrower, lighter tires? I don't have access to a hardtail so I think I am stuck with the Yeti for the race.

The race is in Winter Park and I have not been up there to see how tech the course is yet.

Also, is it ok to race beginner if I have raced sport in the past. I almost got last place in sport up in Vail CO so I was thinking I probably don't belong there.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Just run what you got. The Fat Albert 2.4s got a good review in german Bike magazine. Lots of people running high volume tires for XC these days. If you don't know how tech the course is, better safe than sorry.
You'll get faster sooner if you tough it out in sport, IMO.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Course

They changed it a bit, but the old course wasn't really technical. There are some steep rooty sections and alot of rolling hills with roots and cobbles. The 575 will be fine as there aren't many monster climbs, and it will be fun on the descents.

I run fat tires on my bikes unless I'm doing a hill climb.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
The only thing I'd be comfortable changing is the rear tire to something high volume that rolls faster like a Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron or similar.

G

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
used2Bhard said:
They changed it a bit, but the old course wasn't really technical. There are some steep rooty sections and alot of rolling hills with roots and cobbles. The 575 will be fine as there aren't many monster climbs, and it will be fun on the descents.

I run fat tires on my bikes unless I'm doing a hill climb.
Thanks, I think I will run it this weekend or next with a friend I will race against. I may run a little more pressure for the race. I will try 30-35 out there and see how the tires are. The sucked on sidehills at 38psi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts