Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Should I carry a tube, when racing? I am using Continental Explorers UST tires with Stan's sealant. Should I carry a tube for a race or not?. Any suggstions would be helpful.

Dave

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
It couldnt hurt. You dont want to be in the situation where you need it, but if you are in that situation you will be glad you have it. And a tube and pump can be less than half a pound. I just ride with tubes in my tires and patches. I guess I am lucky, cause I only got one flat in over a year, and that was the tube that came with the bike. I am still riding one of the tubes that I got on the bike over a year ago. I dont know if thats a good diea, but its holding up.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
WGKDave said:
Hi Guys,

Should I carry a tube, when racing? I am using Continental Explorers UST tires with Stan's sealant. Should I carry a tube for a race or not?. Any suggstions would be helpful.

Dave
I wonder why racers get so www.weightweenie.com , when a race is on the line.

I have confidence in Stan's but when the race is on a partial inflated tube and a Co2 may keep you on the podium. And of couse Evel always wore #1.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Haven't needed a tube in nearly 3 years.

WGKDave said:
Hi Guys,

Dave
But you know the very second I fail to have one in my Camelback, I will get a flat on the ride that the Stan's won't seal...you just know that's the way it will go--LOL! I really ride my mountainbikes a lot, and we have tons of cactus and mesquite in most areas where I ride around my location. October will be 3 years using Stan's. In the early days of the homemade water and latex mix, I had one mesquite thorn hole so big that the tire would not hold air overnight. It didn't flat on a ride, but it was an annoyance and used too much sealant. It was a UST tire, so I patched the inside just like a tube--worked perfectly. Since Stan's own mix has been out, I've never had to patch a tire again. His mix and whatever those crystal looking things are seem to do a better job than the old home brew. I've had 4 or 5 occasions where I got such a large puncture that the tire went down to about 20 psi and then sealed. I then pumped the tire back up to operating pressure with my Mountain Morph and kept riding. These are the sum total of the worst experiences I've had with Stan's. As confident as I am with Stan's, I'll still carry a tube. What's that you say?...haven't had a flat on your car or truck in years? Try taking the jack or spare out and see what happens. :eek:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
carrying a tube is like carrying a condom. you might not need it every time you go out...but that one time you REALLY need to have one, it won't be there. And then you're screwed....or not as the case may be.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
It doesn't hurt to carry a tube, particularly if you do get a flat even when running UST and Tubeless.

I run latex but always carry a tube. Occasionally I have felt confident not to carry a tube, but still feel it is silly not too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.