Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I just want to say "Hello" to everyone. I'm looking forward to being part of the group. I have been riding bikes since I was little. It never was just to get from point A to point B though. Anyways, I have been riding a road bike for the past couple years here in Florida and recently got the bug to try and do some mountain biking. It always appealed to me but I didn't think Florida had anything to ride so I just stuck to the road. I've learned otherwise and want to get into it. I have a Giant road bike and love my LBS so I was going to stick with them and get a Giant XTC1 or XTC2. After looking at the specs and really thinking about what I would be riding I decided on the 650 dollar Giant XTC2. However, a coworker of mine was a big mountain bike rider a few years ago and he told me he would sell me his Yeti Arc for 1000.00. This is out of my price range but from the research I did I think this is supposed to be a pretty bad ass bike. These are the specs:

Yeti Arc frame "Lrg"
Fox fork Float RCL 100mm = Rebound, Compression, Lockout
Bontrager Race Light Wheelset tubeless - They are now called X-Lite
Shimano XT crankset and front derailleur
Shimano XTR rear derailleur
Shimano XTR rapid fire shifters/brake set
Yeti carbon fiber bars
Bontrager race light stem
Thompson seat post
Avid single digit Ti rim brakes

Now the frame is a 2005 with only about 400 miles on it. He has a Yeti full suspension that he rides regularly and was racing. This hard tail was more of just a training bike. The forks though are a 2002 model fork that have been completly re-built and maintained well. I took a look at the bike last night and it is mint. I mean there weren't even any scratches on the back where you normally would get chain slap. The tires are dry rotted becuase like I said he hasn't been riding it really.

So, do I stay within my price range of about 700.00(650.00 plus tax) for the Giant XTC2 from my LBS with warranty or do I save up a bit longer and get the used Yeti for a 1000.00. Before anyone suggests trying to get him to come down on the price, I already tried. He is firm on the price becuase he does not "need" to sell it. He said the fram and forks alone are worth way over 1000.00.

Sorry this is so long winded! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Melbourne Florida. It's about an hour east or Orlando and about 25 minutes south of where the space shuttle goes off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do you ride in Orlando? I heard there were trails in Ocala but I just don't want to drive that far. I'm hoping to find some good spots within an hour or so drive from Melbourne.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Yeti has a good design and the parts look good too. $1,000.00 seems pretty good. You may want to look into whether the Yeti bikes use polyurethane bushings. My old Psycle Werks had polyurethane bushings which, oddly enough, wore on the frame after extended use. Maybe this shouldn't blow the deal, but it is something to look into.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Its a good price on a great bike... If you don't get it, tell me and I will pick it up tomorrow!

Oh... Its a large frame... dammit

BTW Its a great bike, I sold mine to get a 575, I miss it.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Pisgah said:
Yeti has a good design and the parts look good too. $1,000.00 seems pretty good. You may want to look into whether the Yeti bikes use polyurethane bushings. My old Psycle Werks had polyurethane bushings which, oddly enough, wore on the frame after extended use. Maybe this shouldn't blow the deal, but it is something to look into.
The bike in question is a hardtail.

Given the spec, I'd go for the Yeti; providing it fits you.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I always suggest getting the best components you can afford. My choice would be the Yeti, even though in general I'm leary about used bikes. But that bike seems like a real sweet set-up and I'm guessing someone who owns a bike like that is a little more likely to have taken good care of it.

Come on up to Ocala to hit Santos. It is worth the drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.