Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now I can get a brand new Shimano XTR FC-M960 Crankset for $299. I am currently racing competitvely in (Xterra/offroad triathlons) and riding a 2006 Stumpjumper HT. I have upgraded about everything on the bike but the crankset and brakes.

Handebars: Easton EC 70 carbon
stem: thomson
seatpost: thomson
front & rear Der: XTR
pedals: crankbros 2ti eggbeaters
cassette: XT
shifters: Sram rocket twist
wheels: stans ZTR olympic/tubeless
brakes: avid bb-7 mech

crankset: stock, truvativ stylo

I have plans to upgrade the brakes and the crankset in the near future and just came across what I think is a good deal on the XTR crankset.

Should I pull the trigger?

·
Registered
779 Posts
the 960s are a breeze to set up, theyre very stiff and look great. however the finish wears off very quickly, which some people find to be an annoyance and then theres the good old chainring gripe.
as you probably already know the 960 uses a shimano specific bolt pattern (a few boutique companies make replacements) so you MUST buy shimano 960 rings which can be a ***** to source and theyre ridiculously over priced.
id save your 300 bones and look at an FSA. similar pinch-bolt style setup and universal 110 spaced rings OR keep what you have! the floating bearings on the stylo are great, its not terribly heavy and you still can use whatever rings you want.
i bought a raceface deus for its xtr-like weight and the BB froze after ~10 rides.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd go with the XTR, although I've had a bottom bracket freeze up on one too. I replaced it with a raceface and it's done fine ever since. Plus XTR gets you sexy points.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Xtr

Both my friend and I reported feeling the decrease in weight while pedaling when switching from an XT to an XTR. I think there is about 100 grams to save from the Stylo, so you will probably feel a difference. I also think the Shimano rings shift better than the Truvativs I had on an old bike.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Shimano's given the dealers approval to blow out the old PITA/Proprietory XTR cranks and get rid of them so you can find them anywhere for that price. Remember that there are some places making rings for them, but not a lot and they are hard to find. For the 2007 lineup they switched to standard 4 bolt pattern w/ tonnes of option for after market rings. For the money you can still I think get XT for a +80g weight gain for about $60-70 cheaper.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I would not do it yet.

Wait until your current crankset fails, or the rings at least wear out. I don't think you will notice the difference between the town in terms of stiffness or weight. There are easier and cheaper ways to take 100 grams off your bike if weight is your biggest concern, and I have had a whole gambit of cranksets and blindfolded could not tell one from the other. I don't think you are getting 300 dollars of upgrade out of that crank vs your truvative. Just my opinion. Save your cash and replace your cranks when they wearout.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
No!!!!

Buy a set of XT's for around $160 from www.chainreactioncycles.com

The rings are much cheaper to replace.

Wait til your current set wears out, of course. If 100g is a problem for you, use the bathroom one more time before your race :D
FA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.