Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sat here not able to ride for 2-4 weeks after a flint ripped open my knee and I spent 3 days in hospital (if you really want to see a pic let me know!). Anyway I have a 5 spot and a steel hardtail but I'm thinking of buying a flux for riding locally (where the 5 spot is too much), a bit of endurance racing, singletrack, etc just not big rocky stuff (5 spot for that).

I do like my hardtail (although I'm trying to blame it for my off) but it beats my old body up after a couple of hours and I'd like something between the spot and the hardtail.

Also is it worth waiting for a non standard colour?

·
Registered
413 Posts
The Flux does fill an important gap between hardtail and longer travel rigs. I personally have a HT and a Flux and enjoy the added bike time and comfort that it offers over the HT without sacrificing much in the way of weight, speed, and acceleration. Especially if your daily trails, like mine, don't require 5 or more inches of travel, the Flux is perfect.

I think the perfect stable includes a HT, a 4X4 like the Flux, and a longer travel bike like the RFX or 6.6 (maybe throw a 29er in there for good measure). Maybe you could sell off the 5 Spot and pick up a Flux and a longer travel ride to spread out your options a bit more.

If you really dig a particular optional color, I think the wait is well worth it. That being said, the burnt orange is slick, especially in person.

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
Alex-Leigh said:
I'm sat here not able to ride for 2-4 weeks after a flint ripped open my knee and I spent 3 days in hospital (if you really want to see a pic let me know!). Anyway I have a 5 spot and a steel hardtail but I'm thinking of buying a flux for riding locally (where the 5 spot is too much), a bit of endurance racing, singletrack, etc just not big rocky stuff (5 spot for that).

I do like my hardtail (although I'm trying to blame it for my off) but it beats my old body up after a couple of hours and I'd like something between the spot and the hardtail.

Also is it worth waiting for a non standard colour?
I say do it. I tore my knee open back in May and was off the bike for a month as well. What did I do to kill time, I spent days on the computer looking for parts to build a new Flux to accommodate my Six Pack. I love the bike for fast rolling terrain. I found a 2005 polished one for a great price. Lets see knee pic.

·
Registered
103 Posts
2 words fella's

KNEE PADS

Seriously though, I had a pretty hard fall, (nothing as bad as you guys though) on a xc trail I had ridden a hundred times and suffered through the worst road/trail rash ever. Since Then I ride with 661 knee pads all the the time now. Remember pain hurts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do normally ride with pads as I use flats and don't fancy pedal strike rash. But it was a really hot day, I was just out for a social ride with a friend, etc, etc. The irony is that if I had been wearing my pads then I wouldn't have ended up in A&E. Still it's done now and the doc said if it had been 1/4 inch deeper it'd have sliced the tendon and if'd been 1/2 inch higher, it'd smashed the patella so I'm looking on the bright side!

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
xjbebop said:
...and wear them too! Just for educational purposes, what were the events that butchered your knees?? ...jra...???
I now wear 661 Kyle Straight model knee pads. They're pretty sweet. I low sided in a corner that had some small breaking bumps coming into it. This part of the trail also consits of rock with dirt on top so it's fairly slick. It was jus one of those "s---- happens" kind of deals as I ride this trail probably 40 times a year. After this little incident I told myself to slow down and enjoy the ride but, that didn't last long.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I'm looking for some this weekend. Nobody wears them around here but I don't care. I'll look at some soccer pads and then the 661 ones as well. The lighter ones that do not slip will be the ones I end up wearing all the time so the search begins.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been offered a new horst link flux for £999 which is v. cheap for the UK. Problem is it's a medium and I have a large spot (5ft 11/32 inch inseam) and having tried a medium spot, it felt too small even tho the numbers suggest it shouldn't.

Still if I buy a new large one, I can get it sprayed in one of the custom colours. I'm liking the red.

Was told the 661 Neoprene pads are very sweaty. Apparently there are some Troy Lee Ones that are recommended.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.