Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are a freerider more than a downhiller i would say go for a kona stinky. They cost right around 2 grand. I think that would be best for you for the money you have to spend, and maybe once you get better you can put a 888 on it or something.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i think if i were going more towards the FR area i'd look into a kona stinky. the bighits seem abit more DH and less FR to me. BUT i've never ridden a bighit...

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
ummm fsr is far better then horst link. my vote is for the bighit. no brake jack or chatter, no need to get a floating disc brake system, no chain growth bla bla bla i could go on and on.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
madtownfreerider said:
ummm fsr is far better then horst link. my vote is for the bighit. no brake jack or chatter, no need to get a floating disc brake system, no chain growth bla bla bla i could go on and on.
FSR uses Horst Link dumb dumb. Faux-bars are like Konas, Turners, etc. You get some brake jack. You don't really get chain growth with a properly designed faux-bar either.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
If I had around $2,000 dollars to drop on a bike, I would head straight to the 7Point series from Iron Horse. The 7Point5 should be right in your price range...and that thing is friggin' sweet.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
yea, I second the 7.5. IHBC make really sick bikes. but also I'd take a stinky over a bighit.

go try out a 7.5. in the order I would have them would be 7.5, stinky...anything else besides bighit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tisk, Tisk Tisk......

madtownfreerider said:
Need to get the facts straight as aformentioned.......

Come on now you got 1200 posts and don't know this yet?

And as for recomendations I vote for the Big Hit......Of a previous year...I personally love the 24" rear and can accelerate semi quickly and climb much better. I can;t say enough good things about 24" rear. Smaller diameter also gives better strength.

I am though limited in my experiences but have ridden Konas that friends own and I just didn;t really dig it. Good bike don;t get me wrong, but there really is a difference in braking forces.

The other thing is have you ever seen a broken Big Hit?
They are and were bombproof.....

Used frames from 05 are giong for about 5-6 hundred.

Good Luck,
John

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
J-mizzle said:
Need to get the facts straight as aformentioned.......

Come on now you got 1200 posts and don't know this yet?

And as for recomendations I vote for the Big Hit......Of a previous year...I personally love the 24" rear and can accelerate semi quickly and climb much better. I can;t say enough good things about 24" rear. Smaller diameter also gives better strength.

I am though limited in my experiences but have ridden Konas that friends own and I just didn;t really dig it. Good bike don;t get me wrong, but there really is a difference in braking forces.

The other thing is have you ever seen a broken Big Hit?
They are and were bombproof.....

Used frames from 05 are giong for about 5-6 hundred.

Good Luck,
John
24s accelerate faster since they're usually lower weight, and the weight is closer to the center, but slower top-end, doesn't roll over things as well. It drops the bb height, so the bike is more stable. It's also easier to flick around. And it slacks out the bike, so no, it doesn't climb as well. Quite the opposite actually. Sine the Bighit was designed around the 24 rear, that doesn't neccesarily hold true, but meh.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
FSR uses Horst Link dumb dumb. Faux-bars are like Konas, Turners, etc. You get some brake jack. You don't really get chain growth with a properly designed faux-bar either.
actually.. Turners are horst links.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Raptordude said:
If I had around $2,000 dollars to drop on a bike, I would head straight to the 7Point series from Iron Horse. The 7Point5 should be right in your price range...and that thing is friggin' sweet.
that's what I'd do.

that or get a Used 05 stinky, and pimp it out with the leftovers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.