Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i'm new...well just getting back into racing XC again. i'm 16, on a budget, and ride a hardrock pro. Its a very heavy bike and it has much to heavy duty parts that are not needed for XC. so i've been wanting to build up an urban assult bike and keep my hardrock for racing XC. now i've decided that since my hardrock is built more like an urban bike than a XC bike that i'll use my hardrock for urban assult and build up an XC bike.

Well, i have a marin frame hanging in my garage and i'm thinking of building it up for XC. it weighs 6pounds and is steal. I'm going to build it up with some nice wheels and a nice fork...hopefully a sid. some xt parts and then eventually i'm upgrade the frame. What would you guys say about this idea. would i just be better off on my hardrock? oh and this isn't a disk frame so i would put xtr rim brakes on it till i got a better frame. would this be a waste of time and money or should i do it?

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
ibanezrg520kid said:
ok so i'm new...well just getting back into racing XC again. i'm 16, on a budget, and ride a hardrock pro. Its a very heavy bike and it has much to heavy duty parts that are not needed for XC. so i've been wanting to build up an urban assult bike and keep my hardrock for racing XC. now i've decided that since my hardrock is built more like an urban bike than a XC bike that i'll use my hardrock for urban assult and build up an XC bike.

Well, i have a marin frame hanging in my garage and i'm thinking of building it up for XC. it weighs 6pounds and is steal. I'm going to build it up with some nice wheels and a nice fork...hopefully a sid. some xt parts and then eventually i'm upgrade the frame. What would you guys say about this idea. would i just be better off on my hardrock? oh and this isn't a disk frame so i would put xtr rim brakes on it till i got a better frame. would this be a waste of time and money or should i do it?
It would take a lot of time, and if you amazingly didnt scratch the project, you would be frustrated at the weight (hefty frame there...) and if you got XTR brakes then went disc thats a good amount of money used on the XTR. You could, wouldnt be economically efficent but.. you could

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
en are es said:
It would take a lot of time, and if you amazingly didnt scratch the project, you would be frustrated at the weight (hefty frame there...) and if you got XTR brakes then went disc thats a good amount of money used on the XTR. You could, wouldnt be economically efficent but.. you could
well i was going to give the xtr's to my dad when i got disk breaks cause his bike doesn't have disk brakes on it so he was going to pay me for them. and i might be putting on some hydrulic 8'' brakes on my hardrock so i would just use the avid mechanicals on my marin when the time came.

·
Registered
559 Posts
wait and save your money

I would wait and save your money. Use the bike which ever it is in races now. It will make you stronger anyway. If you can afford all the parts you mentioned use that money to save up for a bike that comes stock with many of those parts. The marin fram you were talking about is a bit to heavy for xc racing. While you can make everytging else light you can not make the frame light.
Also, you want a fram that is lite an nimble. Somehting you can turn with and accerlerate well. You can buy some nice hartdail frames out there for less weight and a reasonalbly good price.

GOAT

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
goat said:
I would wait and save your money. Use the bike which ever it is in races now. It will make you stronger anyway. If you can afford all the parts you mentioned use that money to save up for a bike that comes stock with many of those parts. The marin fram you were talking about is a bit to heavy for xc racing. While you can make everytging else light you can not make the frame light.
Also, you want a fram that is lite an nimble. Somehting you can turn with and accerlerate well. You can buy some nice hartdail frames out there for less weight and a reasonalbly good price.

GOAT
yeah...its alot lighter than what i'm riding now though. i got an '05 specialized hardrock pro. its heavy as heck. it is designed imo more towards all around urban bike that can be brought on the trails also. yeah well my intent was to just build up a bike and then end up swaping out a frame with a felt, bianchi, or some highend frame. Oh well i'm pretty fast on my big heavy hardrock so i think i'll just keep riding and race it and if i get more serious into racing then i'll get another bike. i might do some cyclocross this winter on my bike and see how it holds up. I also can race a my proflex with the cross link wheels, and noleen carbon fork. i know its out dated, but i love this bike!!! i feel like a retro badass on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts