Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

I'm just starting to shop around for a new bike. The shop I was at today had their Cannondale hard tail mtbr's priced at MSRP. Is this what I should be paying????? I was going to mention it to the guy but didn't want to be a jerk if that's the "way it is".....

Thanks...

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Do more research and see what other shops are charging for that same bike. I too have noticed shops charging MSRP, but sometimes that is the way it is. Another point worth mentioning is that along with the price you are getting continued service from a reputable LBS. If there is a history of no service after the sale, move on. For the most part, you will get what you pay for when it comes to a LBS.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Msrp?

This is the time of year you should be able to get some good deals on current year models. Maybe someone would pay MSRP for the most popular new models, I would not. Friends don't let friends pay MSRP. Don't be afraid to haggle or walk away. There is a lot of competition out there for your business.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Be nice to them and you should get at least 5-10% off.

Shops have room to move on MSRP, be nice to them and you should get a bit off. Don't go crazy though, customers that expect to get 30-50% (yes, there's heaps of them), will just piss them off and get nowhere. After all, LBS guys have to pay for their flash new bikes every year and their extended riding vacations.

·
Registered
474 Posts
RossinFL said:
The shop I was at today had their Cannondale hard tail mtbr's priced at MSRP. Is this what I should be paying?????
A friend of mine just bought an '06 Kona Stinky for $200.00 more than an '05 Stinky-Dee-Lux. I swear he is an idiot, but he was more concerned about the color of the bike rather than its components. :confused:

(a Stinky-Dee-Lux has way better package than the regular Stinky)

That being said, you can get some sweet deals on an '05 model right now as previous posters mentioned. Always bargin for the price, the very least they can say is no.

If you live near a SuperGo store, they are closing out a lot of thier bikes due to being taken over by Performance. Remember on thing- Never pay retail!

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Many times shops will tag their bikes at MSRP, but really have no intention of charging you that price. It is just a sticker price and then allows them to sell it to you for less and make you a "deal". Just ask the sale's guy if the MSRP marked is the "final" price and show that you are serious. If he wants to get it off the floor, he'll likely tell you he can work with you on the price.
Or go into a shop (make sure it is reputable of course) and tell them what your max amount is for spending and tell them to point you in the right direction for what you can get for that amount of money. Something "out of your price range" sticker wise just might be a bike you can afford.

Remember, MSRP is just a "suggestion".....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Most lbs will work with you on the price and you can get very good deals during the fall at the end of the normal riding season when their trying to get rid of this years models to make room for next years models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot for the info everyone. It sounds like there should be some leeway in the price. The '05's they had didn't seem to be marked down that much. For example a $1000 '05 bike was priced at about $70 less than the same in an '06 model (MSRP of course). It certainly helps to know that this isn't indicative of market value.

I'm in the Sarasota FL area, the shop I visited is in St. Pete which is a good 50 minute drive away. It I were to buy one there it certainly would not be for convenience. I did test drive a Specialized Rockhopper that was pretty nice. Unfortuanately he didn't have any Cannondale F600's, F400's, or a Giant XTC for me to test. I guess there were some C'Dales in back but they weren't built. I'm going to check around here and see what's in stock and the prices. It would be so nice to get a good deal on an '05!

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
Back in July a 'LBS' (40 min ride too) had a 20% off clearance sale, on ALL 05's in stock...They are a pretty big shop so they can afford it I guess....Thing is they are really not local for me so i cant take much advantage of tuneups etc etc....figure that into your calculations...You buy a $1000 bike for $150 off far away, are you saving anything in the Long run?
CDT

·
Registered
541 Posts
i work at a shop and on more expensive bikes there is room to give a deal to someone. Less expensive bikes there is not we dont make like anything on them when its all said and done. If you're nice and don't expect something for free and are prepared to buy when you go in you can probably score a pretty good deal. The worst thing is when the same cheapskate comes in 3 times a week asking for rediculous deals (and you tell them ok) and never buys a thing.

Also you're more likely to get a deal on a bike the shop can replace or has a few of in stock. It's hard to give a smoking deal on a bike that is backordered from the factory and can't be replaced

MAdvertisedRP's for most companies listed on their website. Are normally 10% higher than the MSRP. Smaller shops sometimes have to sell <$500 bikes at MARP to stay in business.

Ask if closeouts can be order from last years bikes. Some companies have really really good deals for the dealers on certain bikes sizes. They should pass that on to you.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Here in Florida there isn't as much seasonal price swing as other places. Heck some of us never leave the house in the summer. Anyway, even here, don't pay list or anywhere close to it.

If you're driving to St Pete, go a little further and check out Chainwheel Drive on Drew street in Clearwater. They never did anything for me but sponsor my favorite local race series, but they're a good shop and I shop there.

Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to pop back on here and thank everyone for their help.

I'll check at that Chainwheel. Drive place. Also, I didn't know there was an advertised MSRP and a real MSRP. Does anyone know the actual MSRP's on Cannondale's F400 and F600? Is it different than what's listed on their website?

·
Registered
541 Posts
RossinFL said:
Just wanted to pop back on here and thank everyone for their help.

I'll check at that Chainwheel. Drive place. Also, I didn't know there was an advertised MSRP and a real MSRP. Does anyone know the actual MSRP's on Cannondale's F400 and F600? Is it different than what's listed on their website?
cannondale is one of the companies that only does MSRP. Also cannondale has a lower markup on some of their bikes for the dealers unless they sell a lot of volume.

Trek, Specialized have higher advertised retails on their sites not everyone does but a lot of companies do.

If your getting a F600 id look for an 04 or 05 model on sale they have BB7's instead of BB5's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
scooterman said:
cannondale is one of the companies that only does MSRP. Also cannondale has a lower markup on some of their bikes for the dealers unless they sell a lot of volume.

Trek, Specialized have higher advertised retails on their sites not everyone does but a lot of companies do.

If your getting a F600 id look for an 04 or 05 model on sale they have BB7's instead of BB5's.
I just ran across a local F600 for $900. It's the silver one with the airplane looking fake rivets. It comes with lifetime tuneups. How does that sound? The '06 model is something like $1075 ish.

Are you sure the '05 model uses BB7's? The Canondale site says BB5's.

'05 F600

·
Super Moderator
3,266 Posts
Also local to me was an 04 F600SL and an '03 F600 still on the floor, it was a tangerine color they said. I believe it was like $750.....

I mentioned to the rep that Cdale doesnt allow internet sales but they should exclude closeout older models....It would move them faster...Imagine that tangerine bike sitting there when 06's come out !
CDT

·
since 4/10/2009
32,871 Posts
Most MFRs give shops a range of prices to sell their bikes. Some shops sell them at the high end, hoping to make a buck when they can, and "cut a deal" when people want to haggle. Some shops sell at the low end in an attempt to avoid all the haggling (which is really a PITA, from the opinion of a former bike sales guy). To complicate matters, some shops offer nice discounts on accessories when you buy a bike (accessories have a higher markup than bikes, and it's easier to discount them). It all depends on the policy of the store where you shop, but there is almost always some room to negotiate.

Don't count on talking them down much more on previous year model bikes. I've noticed that in the past couple years, the newer year model of lots of bikes actually gets downgraded in components, even though the price increases or stays the same. That's why shops are marking down this year's bikes $100 or less...because the older model is a better bike already. The price you pay for increased manufacturing and transportation costs.

·
Registered
541 Posts
sorry i guess just the 04's had the bb7's.
cannondale has been downgrading their bikes :(
a lot of the new 06 bikes we have been getting in have cheapo fake carbon seatpots.
and other little things that make me sad:(

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
A couple ideas for you

It sounds like there may be regional differences in how and when bikes get distributed and last year's models get maked down. Right now, most of the shops in my immediate area have discounted and moved out most of last year's models. Here, the discounts pop up before Interbike. Shops that have new models in aren't much interested in dropping prices on new stock, although they may have it priced somewhat below MSRP.

Someone already mentioned checking out what goes with the sale. Based on shops in my area, that could be one or two years of free routine adjustments; 10 % off on all subsequent purchases for a year, things like that. If you don't buy the bike locally, free service isn't much of a benefit.

The other thing you should look into is if there are any established bike clubs in your area. it's pretty common, at least in California, for local shops to offer discounts to their local club members.

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
The Chaplain said:
This is the time of year you should be able to get some good deals on current year models. Maybe someone would pay MSRP for the most popular new models, I would not. Friends don't let friends pay MSRP. Don't be afraid to haggle or walk away. There is a lot of competition out there for your business.
I agree with the Chaplain, shop around and compare, ask what the bottom line is. Its up to the consumer to make sure they are comfortable with what they are buying, and at what cost. I wont pay MSRP on a complete bike, no way. Seems like bikes are on sale every other month at one shop or another. Right now you should be able to get 05 models for really good deals. My LBS is selling $2400 Specialized Enduro's at $1800. So shop around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts