Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just digesting MBA's February magazine...buyer's guide...hmmm...

I've been into mountain bikes for a good while...more then a decade. My ride has always been hardtail and I can remember owning a bike or two with a solid front fork.

I ride trails...technical stuff...Chicopee Woods, Gainesville College...Georgia Mountains. The trails are tight single track, rough, plenty of roots and rocks. I bounce along pretty well and can average 9-10mph on a good day.

My primary ride is a Scott Scale equipped with XT, Mavic, Easton, Thompson...good stuff.

According to MBA's "Buyer's Guide" on page 56-57 I belong on a Dual Suspension Trailbike. They classify the hardtail rider as one who rides "urban bike paths"... is that like my driveway?

If you look on page 48, MBA defines the "Cross Country" hardtail as a racing platform which is light and designed for "bunny hops" and "moderate technical terrain". MBA says these bikes are not crash worthy or durable.

My how things have changed! I rode a steel hardtail, no suspension on black diamond trails in my younger days!

I was out for a while, and then got back in. I bought what appeared to me to be what I was raised on...only a little lighter...a little cooler...the bike I wanted when I was 19.

What's your thoughts here? I ride my Scale on the same trails that most people are riding with full suspension. Am I going to end up breaking this bike? I've got a chunk of change into this bike...and I've been eyeing up the Trance for 6 months now.

My current bike, in my opinion is "done, finished"...meaning I wouldn't change a thing because I like the way it performs. My concern here is that I am going to twist this thing into a pretzel...my moto has always been "you can go over anything as long as you hit it hard enough" ... your thoughts brothers?
 

Attachments

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,710 Posts
MBA sucks gonads.

You ride your ht on trials most people ride their fs bikes because most people ride fs bikes...well, everywhere. Myself included.

Enjoy your ride. Get a bigger stronger bike if start hitting obstacles and drops/jumps or if you are looking for a change. Change is fun. Change is good.
 

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
Joined
·
1,863 Posts
The hardtail is not dead, check out the post up your hardtails thread for proof, that bike doesn't apear to have any questioable lightweight parts on it, the wheels and the frame probably won't last more than a few seasons if you really ride like you say, but they shouldn't outright fail on you. I sugest you ride the snot out of that bike, and in the mean time keep an eye out for any demo trailers heading your way to see if you can get some trail time on some full suspension bikes with modern agressive geometry, to see if they tickle your fancy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
MBA sucks gonads.
Gonna echo this one, its a point worth reiterating. MBA really does suck gonads. Like fat hairy dude in speedo's thinking he's "euro" but is really sh!tty white trash hairy gonads.

Hardtails are rad. I like full suspension more. I love bikes. Its a matter of preference, I can climb and descend faster on a trail FS bike then on a hardtail. I can do bigger stuff on a FS bike. I can have twice the amount of fun, and be forced to pick my lines with way more care with a hardtail. I have a 3-5K dollar high end botique DH bike. The other day I did a run of my local DH on my roommates 75 dollar used low end haro DJ bike with a broken rst fork (the chassis was ok), and had an absolute blast.

Bikes are fun. That scott looks great, ride it and enjoy.
 

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
Joined
·
3,223 Posts
Everything printed in MBA should be taken with a grain of salt. e.g. the editors need to get off their knees when it comes to reviewing bikes and maintaining advertising dollars.

I can't tell from the photos and dont know much about the bike, but if the frame is carbon, you might want to change your motto or get another bike. Otherwise, carry on riding. Another instance of marketing making a rider feel their bike is inadequate (it's what they do).

EDIT: Nice ride, by the way
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flystagg said:
The hardtail is not dead, check out the post up your hardtails thread for proof, that bike doesn't apear to have any questioable lightweight parts on it, the wheels and the frame probably won't last more than a few seasons if you really ride like you say, but they shouldn't outright fail on you. I sugest you ride the snot out of that bike, and in the mean time keep an eye out for any demo trailers heading your way to see if you can get some trail time on some full suspension bikes with modern agressive geometry, to see if they tickle your fancy.
Maybe I should stop reading MBA...

I've been allover the hardtail thread. I wanted your opinion...the All Mountain, FS guys.

I didn't think for a minute about aluminum frames when I bought this bike...I've been hearing "weak" and "thin metal" way too often now.

Maybe it's the internet that's ruining everything...I remember guys breaking frames, scratching their heads and buying the same bike again. It seems nowadays everyone has an opinon and it's hard to figure out who is correct.

I think I'm getting quirky in my old age. You know...its like you should never use a flat head screwdriver in a phillips head screw...even if it will fit...cause its not meant for that screw...I feel like I'm using the wrong bike. Do I make sense here?

MBA says hardtails...I am assuming they are referring to the new lightweight aluminum...are for urban bike paths...more or less BMX tracks and combed XC. There's none of that where I live.

Anyway...thanks for the replies. I seem to be attracted to the full suspension bikes but I haven't worked up the cahonies to make the switch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Berkley said:
Everything printed in MBA should be taken with a grain of salt. e.g. the editors need to get off their knees when it comes to reviewing bikes and maintaining advertising dollars.

I can't tell from the photos and dont know much about the bike, but if the frame is carbon, you might want to change your motto or get another bike. Otherwise, carry on riding. Another instance of marketing making a rider feel their bike is inadequate (it's what they do).

EDIT: Nice ride, by the way
It's not carbon...I bought the Scale 70 because I liked the team paint scheme. I stripped everything off the bike except the rear derallier and replaced it with what you see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
William42 said:
Gonna echo this one, its a point worth reiterating. MBA really does suck gonads. Like fat hairy dude in speedo's thinking he's "euro" but is really sh!tty white trash hairy gonads.

Hardtails are rad. I like full suspension more. I love bikes. Its a matter of preference, I can climb and descend faster on a trail FS bike then on a hardtail. I can do bigger stuff on a FS bike. I can have twice the amount of fun, and be forced to pick my lines with way more care with a hardtail. I have a 3-5K dollar high end botique DH bike. The other day I did a run of my local DH on my roommates 75 dollar used low end haro DJ bike with a broken rst fork (the chassis was ok), and had an absolute blast.

Bikes are fun. That scott looks great, ride it and enjoy.
Thanks for the response...very cool!

I think you're right...I forget how much fun I have riding everytime I put the bike in the garage. It's raining, cold and very muddy here...has been for the last month. Maybe I just need to suck it up and ride in the mud so I can remember why I got this thing.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Your bike looks like it will take what ever you throw at it.Enjoy it!!!
iI run a carbon scale and its sheer bliss.Fast Responsive and goes where i point it!!
Ive tried a full sussa in the past it wasnt for me but each to his own.
Here,s a picture or two of mine.although new pictures are needed as its got lots more new parts fitted...

http://liverpoolfc.pinkbike.com/album/my-ride/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crankmeister said:
Your bike looks like it will take what ever you throw at it.Enjoy it!!!
iI run a carbon scale and its sheer bliss.Fast Responsive and goes where i point it!!
Ive tried a full sussa in the past it wasnt for me but each to his own.
Here,s a picture or two of mine.although new pictures are needed as its got lots more new parts fitted...

http://liverpoolfc.pinkbike.com/album/my-ride/
Sweet Scale!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crankmeister said:
Cheers Sally....So wheres these lycra shorts HA!!!

Only thing i would consider changing on your bike is those wheels they are extremely heavy for an XC bike.
My Mavic Crossrides will soon be on ebay they are just to heavy!!!
I ride road too...my friends make fun of me because I wear tights and road shorts on the trail...I've got my seat post up in the air...but HEY! I can spin up a climb like you would not believe!

I agree on the wheels...when I was putting this bike together I bought OE take offs and looked for discount parts. These wheels came new, complete with Kenda Nevegel tubeless for $375 shipped. I thought it was a great deal!

I'm working a road build for the spring so I will have to wait for more funding before I buy new wheels. :)
 

·
Ride Responsibly
Joined
·
1,946 Posts
Ride what YOU enjoy. screw those who tell you otherwise. One good reason to switch to full suspension is if your back is sore after rides, rear suspension takes a lot of beating away from the ride. In my opinion, there are plenty of cross country full suspension bikes that can come close to hardtail efficiency while providing the benefits of a softer ride. Articles telling newbies what bikes to ride have there place in helping to decide a ride, but the one mentioned in the Op sounds a little narrow minded.
Try out a bunch of different bikes, buy a Superlight, turn the Scott into a singlespeed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Im still running tubes (Conti supersonics) one day i will try the tubeless route.
With you paying dollars for your wheels i take it your in the States? north or south??
I,m in England UK (near manchester) winter has set in and its bloody freezing! But that doesnt stop me riding my bike!!
Ive also joined the gym too, so im hoping when summer does arrive i have the strength and stamina to leave my friends eating my dust!!

Road bike?? hmm what you got in mind? Ive just sold my Scott S40.i much prefer MTB even on the road!! but that again is my preference which doesnt suit everyone.
 

·
Ride and Smile
Joined
·
736 Posts
As long as its fun

Riding a hard tail was fun. Then fs came, then long travel xc, then all mountain enduro. Each bike I got ended having more travel and was more fun and to my surprise the weight didn't matter. My riding changed, comfort and enjoyment level went up. I just spent 3 months riding in Moab on a 6" bike weighing 35lbs and had more fun than I've ever had on a bike. I can also do things on this bike I could never do before.

I do see the issue of weight on the climbs, but I don't think I'll be riding any sub 30lb bikes. Currently I'm putting together a 7" bike that should weigh the same as my 6" bike. I believe you can ride any bike and have fun. I also believe there is a reason most people ride fs bikes - for most people, they are more fun. For me it is way more fun! Try a Trance, Try a Reign, if you are curious, find out. What have you got to lose? perhaps only early fatigue and pain!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
crankmeister said:
Im still running tubes (Conti supersonics) one day i will try the tubeless route.
With you paying dollars for your wheels i take it your in the States? north or south??
I,m in England UK (near manchester) winter has set in and its bloody freezing! But that doesnt stop me riding my bike!!
Ive also joined the gym too, so im hoping when summer does arrive i have the strength and stamina to leave my friends eating my dust!!

Road bike?? hmm what you got in mind? Ive just sold my Scott S40.i much prefer MTB even on the road!! but that again is my preference which doesnt suit everyone.
Southeast...Georgia. I rode a Speedster S20. The seat stays cracked and I was upgraded to a newer frame. I am supposed to be getting a 2009 CR1 Pro but I am trying to shmooze my way onto an Addict SL. Either way this will be my very first carbon bike.

I've got a spin bike in the office too...I ride at least three times a week for an hour on that...cold and wet here too.
 

·
AKA; Jimmy Tango
Joined
·
804 Posts
Mountain Bike Fiction

I also like how the magazine is written for people in cali and swUSA. 17" travel FS "trail bikes", with MASSIVE high volume Kenda Small Block 8 tires. Hey MBF, not everyone lives on the mesa!I live on the east coast and OUR trails are like you georgian trails, tight, twisty, and dark. I ride a multitide of bikes including, oh my, a RIGID ss. It's amazing I can even make it back to trailhead with such a simple bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gop427 said:
Mountain Bike Fiction

I also like how the magazine is written for people in cali and swUSA. 17" travel FS "trail bikes", with MASSIVE high volume Kenda Small Block 8 tires. Hey MBF, not everyone lives on the mesa!I live on the east coast and OUR trails are like you georgian trails, tight, twisty, and dark. I ride a multitide of bikes including, oh my, a RIGID ss. It's amazing I can even make it back to trailhead with such a simple bike.
LMAO!

Those single speed guys are sick! :)

I'm still looking at this rag...the front cover reads "150 Bikes for you to choose" and then pictures 6 big dollar full suspension bikes. I would think that if you were doing a buyers guide you would focus more on luring people into the sport with reasonable bikes.

My God...there is even a DS 29'er on page 104. Man I thought 26 inch wheels were big when I traded my Haro Master in!
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top