Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody else notice the sudden proliferation of "nutrisystem" diet ads in the banners above?

c'mon, it's the off-season... lots of snow and single-digit temps here in CO... i mean, it's only 5, er, 7, okay, maybe 10 pounds. i'll work it off come spring, promise.

now where'd i leave that pale ale and can of pringles...

;)

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
gotdirt said:
anybody else notice the sudden proliferation of "nutrisystem" diet ads in the banners above?

c'mon, it's the off-season... lots of snow and single-digit temps here in CO... i mean, it's only 5, er, 7, okay, maybe 10 pounds. i'll work it off come spring, promise.

;)
heh. i'm up about five pounds so far...... cardio fitness doesn't really bear thinking upon at the moment, other than i have to get out on the bike, one way or another. quit being a whiny wuss about the snow/weather and ride.

or so i tell myself. we'll see if it works.

·
Registered
699 Posts
ilostmypassword said:
anyone notice that this website is 90% adverts which take for ever to load? :thumbsup:
They have so many moving ads (which are getting more complex) that take so long to load I'm ready to upgrade Kerio firewall with its ad blocking. The demo pay version worked very well at blocking ads, but I went to the free version. The thing is, I like seeing ads (got great deals on wheels for both my bikes from ads- Neuvations at RBR and Mavics here on MTBR), but it's becoming a matter of survival. I can't spend as much time as I'd like at either site because page loads sometimes take more than a minute, and that's too long to wait to read a paragraph or two of text. It would be nice if the forum owners would figure this out and limit the size of moving ads (it's the moving banners that take forever, and forget about the jumbo moving banners that expand on a mouse over) and limit banners to highly compressed .jpgs.

There does seem to be some AI in the ad delivery. I noticed that if you click on the text ads by Google you get a lot more of those delivered. If you click on a moving ad pretty soon the whole page is dancing. They should easily be able to detect dial up connections and deliver static and text ads to those users who would spend more time at the site.

·
1946:2006:2066
1,458 Posts
use Firefox + Adblock extension

And block the root URL with wildcard notation, not the specific ad.
Example "http://ad.doubleclick.net/*"

michael

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
status bar

i don't mind the content of the ads so much (the site has to make some profit) but i hate waiting for the content because the ad servers are so slow...

looking up servedby.advertising.com
waiting for www.google-analytics.com
contacting creview.adbureau.net

:madman:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
gotdirt said:

;)
I did notice so I ate my nutrisytem, some pizza, choc cake...1/2 dozen of beers and some nachos and I gained weight that stuff doesn't work:madman:

·
Use this space for what?
219 Posts
FireDog46 said:
And block the root URL with wildcard notation, not the specific ad.
Example "http://ad.doubleclick.net/*"

michael
Exactly! Ads... what ads?!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I cant figure out why MTBR does not allow animated avatars anymore, but has 4 animated adverts on this page?and the adverts are triple the size of an avatar.

·
Registered
94 Posts
here in dry sunny so.cal were losing poundage fast......though its about time colorado got slammed with the sicky pow pow!!!!sedona was beautiful last weekend!!!!

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
gotdirt said:

;)
That's nothing--on one of the VW boards I check occasionally, they had a banner ad that said: "Is Your Car Gay Friendly?"

. . . not that there is anything wrong with that . . . .

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Random Drivel said:
That's nothing--on one of the VW boards I check occasionally, they had a banner ad that said: "Is Your Car Gay Friendly?"

oh no please don't get me started down that road... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Random Drivel said:
Are you a Seinfeld fan or did you just accidentally say one of its quotes?

And as for the weight gaining and what not, I just took about 6-7% off of my body fat percentage this winter so I'm happy to say I finally have my abs, lats, and obliques back since I am no longer playing football anymore (I was a very undersized lineman).

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
Random Drivel said:
um...i gotta ask...how does one make a car 'gay friendly'? :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.