Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I adjust a derailleur with the clutch on or off while on a bike repair stand? Why or why not if you can explain, just curious

BOOM goes the dynamite!
On or off - I'm sure it makes some tiny difference, but how many honestly thought about it until OP asked? I know I didn't. Been using a Box RD for the last ~18 months and it doesn't have a switch so maybe if I ever switch back...aw, who am I kidding? I'll forget about this long before then (probably later today). Even when I had Shimano, I never turned it off other than to take the wheel off.

since 4/10/2009
On or off - I'm sure it makes some tiny difference, but how many honestly thought about it until OP asked? I know I didn't. Been using a Box RD for the last ~18 months and it doesn't have a switch so maybe if I ever switch back...aw, who am I kidding? I'll forget about this long before then (probably later today). Even when I had Shimano, I never turned it off other than to take the wheel off.
when I'm installing fresh cables, I always do so with the clutch off. because clutch off DOES make it a little easier when getting the cable tension set. but later on when making small adjustments, I usually don't care either way. I don't think I've needed to make any adjustments to my drivetrain all year, either. the newer stuff seems to hold adjustments extremely well once you get the initial "break in" period taken care of with fresh housings. at least, until your housings get old and sloppy again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.