Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a half worn set of pads and i've noticed that I need to pull further on the levers to get engagement of the brakes. They are not spongy, so i'm assuming they don't need bled, can i add mineral oil to fix this problem, and if so will this interduce air? And do i have to use the magura mineral oil?

thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
jm03 said:
I have a half worn set of pads and i've noticed that I need to pull further on the levers to get engagement of the brakes. They are not spongy, so i'm assuming they don't need bled, can i add mineral oil to fix this problem, and if so will this interduce air? And do i have to use the magura mineral oil?

thanks
If the system calls for mineral oil that's about all you can use,dot 4 will do ugly things,open the resivoir and squeeze the lever,this will add fluid to the system and the level will drop but you have to add oil to compinsate before air is sucked into the system,then close the master cyclinder and your good to go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
jm03 said:
So take the cap off of the cylinder, squeeze the lever, pour in mineral oil, replace cap and let go of lever. In that order, correct?
Take the cap off,squeeze the lever,as you let the lever go with the cap still off add oil as the level drops,the cylinder will suck up the oil as the lever is released,release it slowely and add oil right away or it will all be sucked up and that's when you get air in the system.then when the brake lever feels better,top it off and put the cap back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.