Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
Joined
·
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do with the following for weighing the bike? I ride with these items almost all the time. Is it fair to remove them for weighing the bike? I feel like it's cheating. If I show up for a ride and say my bike is sub-26lbs or whatever ( :lol: ), but I have all my usual riding stuff on it, it's not quite true.

Computer
Bottle cage
GPS mount
Little saddle bag
Stan's sealant too
etc.

What should be included, and what should be excluded?

Am I being obsessive? :eek:ut:
 

·
himom!
Joined
·
684 Posts
40hills said:
What do you do with the following for weighing the bike? I ride with these items almost all the time. Is it fair to remove them for weighing the bike? I feel like it's cheating. If I show up for a ride and say my bike is sub-26lbs or whatever ( :lol: ), but I have all my usual riding stuff on it, it's not quite true.

Computer
Bottle cage
GPS mount
Little saddle bag
Stan's sealant too
etc.

What should be included, and what should be excluded?

Am I being obsessive? :eek:ut:
I think the bike should be weighed with the accessories that would be present during a race (theoretical or not). If you don't use the saddle bag when you race, then it's OK to remove it, for example.
 

·
Masher
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
That makes sense. But if I raced with a computer on, I would still claim my bike weight without it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,971 Posts
If its required to ride the bike, include it. For example, pedals.

Thing like computers, bottle cages, seat bags are not, they should be excluded.
 

·
Don't be hasty.
Joined
·
525 Posts
ziscwg said:
Thing like computers, bottle cages, seat bags are not, they should be excluded.
I don't understand that? The weight of the bike should be in the condition that you ride it in, otherwise the number is useless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I recently got a 2009 Trek 820....Love the bike...great deal on it....It's a little on the heavy side....But I don't know what I should do....I like all the Trek/Bontrager parts on the bike....But as I look on Ebay...I see alot of Carbon Fiber light weight stems....Seat posts etc....Is it worth it?....Or should I just keep the bike stock with all the original parts?.....I cross country and freestyle ride for fun....Weight doesn't matter to me unless I'm carrying it up the stairs...haha...
 

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
Joined
·
1,863 Posts
Nice thread jack there. If you want to upgrade, then do it, but research first, don't just go buying random carbon parts from ebay. Alot of carbon stems and posts are heavier tthan cheaper aluminum ones.
 

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
Joined
·
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ziscwg said:
If its required to ride the bike, include it. For example, pedals.

Thing like computers, bottle cages, seat bags are not, they should be excluded.
DING DING DING !!! This is THEE answer to end all answers. Makes sense to me.

To any nit-pickers who may be lurking for a way to pounce on this... yes, I consider the grips and shifters etc necessary to ride the bike... don't get silly on me and tell me to remove stuff like that :nono:

Thanks for entertaining my obsessivivity :skep:
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,921 Posts
Roadies weigh bikes without the pedals when comparing their anorexic builds... and hell that new cannondale flash is listed without pedals. Somehow the part that you need to ride the thing got dropped from the bikes before they go on the scales. Myself I weigh them with any accessories which will be on the bike full time, as well as ALL the parts needed to ride the thing. So if I'm building a bike for muddy conditions, I'll include the fenders in the weight..
 

·
Don't be hasty.
Joined
·
525 Posts
DeeEight said:
Myself I weigh them with any accessories which will be on the bike full time, as well as ALL the parts needed to ride the thing. So if I'm building a bike for muddy conditions, I'll include the fenders in the weight..
Exactly.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top