Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
~*~*~*~*~
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally broke down and bought some padded shorts. I haven't had any problems riding in regular old spandex type running shorts, but I'll be doing a 9-day biking/camping trip in June and padded shorts seem to be a good idea if I'm going to be spending all day in the saddle.
I went down to the LBS & tried on 8 - 9 different styles and bought a couple of the most "comfortable" pairs.
Ok, I've worn them for a couple of rides & I still am not crazy about how they feel (the darn things make me feel like I've got a load in my pants) but the trails took my mind off of the shorts....until I got off the bike....and, whoa!?! the padding folds in such a way as to be rather personal, if you get my drift. :eek:
Normally you'd take the shorts off right at the end of a ride, but keep in mind that I'm going to be wearing them all day, riding, stopping to eat lunch, taking pixs etc.

Questions: Is that just what padded shorts do? Do they eventually form to your body? Or should I start my short search up again?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, as far as your first complaint about the diaper feeling - you eventually get used to that and before long don't even notice it.

About the folding though - it sounds like you're describing a "reverse" wedgie? Unfortunately, that sounds like shorts with a "cheap" chamois. I went the "cheap" shorts route when first buying bike shorts (I think they were Mt. Borah baggies) and experienced some of the same "thrills" as you describe. Then one day I found a pair of Pearl Izumi (PI) on "sale" (still almost $60) and decided to take the plunge. Wow! What a huge difference the PI chamois was compared to the MB! No folding, no chafing and never a sore rear. PI knows how to make a women's chamois.

Now I'm only buying the PI's - don't care if they are $70. Wish I could find some baggies I like though. There aren't any bike shops around here with a good selection (read:any selection) of women's shorts to try on and I'm hesitant to spend the $$$ on a mail order purchase only to have to return the items because of sizing inconsistencies. I'm thinking about cutting the liner out of old baggies and wearing the short over my PI's.

Here's my shorts complaint - a pair of shorts I was interested in was sized like this - Large = Size 9!!! And they don't make an XL. At those sizes, I'd think there would be a far larger market for XL than S. Maybe I've had my head in the sand about my size but since when is a size 9 large? I'm more of a size 12 and I kinda thought that was large. I certainly don't FEEL like an XL! Sigh.

Sorry to hijack your thread :eek: You may need to keep looking to find a short/chamois combo that works for you. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
oldbroad said:
Ok, I've worn them for a couple of rides & I still am not crazy about how they feel (the darn things make me feel like I've got a load in my pants) but the trails took my mind off of the shorts....until I got off the bike....and, whoa!?! the padding folds in such a way as to be rather personal, if you get my drift. :eek:

Questions: Is that just what padded shorts do? Do they eventually form to your body? Or should I start my short search up again?
What shorts did you buy? Those sound like the first cheap pairs I bought (which also took about 2 washings to disintegrate, so I got what I paid for...) My personal favorite are the high-end Sugoi Technifine shorts. Durable, with pretty thin padding that conforms to your body - so no folding. Yeah, it's not that you don't feel it at all, but it certainly doesn't feel like it's folding or lumped up or anything.

I'd start looking some more.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Even some of the more high end shorts might feel kinda of funky when you're walking around, but those are the ones that will give you the best "long ride". I have been training for endurance events which means I do a lot of longer rides (4-8 hours) and I've quickly learned that some of my shorts are prefectly comfortable for 2-3 hours, but kill after that.

Some brands/styles that I like that you can often find for a good price online include the Zoic Tams, Fox Liberty and Nike ACG.

One other thing...depending on the weather at a long event you shouldn't expect to wear the same pair of shorts for the entire ride. I brought three pairs to my first 12 hour and ended up wearing two of the three. As it gets warmer I'm sure I'll want to change more often as I'll sweat them up.

I'd also suggest you try some sort of lube, as even with a good chamois, depending on the trail you might experience chafing. I like Chamois Butt'r, but there are all kinds to try. It takes some getting used to, but if you're going to be doing a lot of the ride seated it might make the ride a lot more comfortable.

·
~*~*~*~*~
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips. I had bought Cannondale shorts (reg $60, but on sale) but I am definitely going shorts shopping again.
We did a practice ride this weekend, me with the loaded panniers and Beth with the loaded BOB trailer, and after 2 1/2 hours of almost constant sitting, ouch! Need MORE padding.
I'll just have to concentrate on how they feel while riding and overlook the overly intimate relationship off the bike.

·
Registered
233 Posts
oldbroad said:
and after 2 ½ hours of almost constant sitting, ouch! Need MORE padding.
I thought you might find the sitting part would get to you the most. When I was doing the shorter, more technical trail rides I didn't fully realize how very often my butt was leaving the seat. When I started doing the longer rides which involved more seated time (fire roads, some roads, grassy fields) I realized that I needed more than padding, as well as really good padding. Try a cream a few times before your ride. It might not work for you (I have friend who says it makes her feel "goopy"). But I use it for almost any ride longer than a couple hours now.

You may have already said, but when's your event? I can't wait for your write-up. Now that the weather's getting better we're getting all sorts of great ride reports to read.

Mallie

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
MallieD said:
I thought you might find the sitting part would get to you the most. When I was doing the shorter, more technical trail rides I didn't fully realize how very often my butt was leaving the seat. When I started doing the longer rides which involved more seated time (fire roads, some roads, grassy fields) I realized that I needed more than padding, as well as really good padding. Try a cream a few times before your ride. It might not work for you (I have friend who says it makes her feel "goopy"). But I use it for almost any ride longer than a couple hours now.

You may have already said, but when's your event? I can't wait for your write-up. Now that the weather's getting better we're getting all sorts of great ride reports to read.

Mallie
The sitting part always gets me as well. Even though I ride a FS, I'm rarely in the saddle for long when I ride singletrack... I'm usually hovering just above the saddle or with my butt waaaay back. In the last 2 weeks I've done a couple of road rides on my mountain bike (one 12 mile race on mostly flat tarmac, one 15 mile ride with lots of hills). I was totally happy with my saddle and shorts before I did all that sitting and spinning, but now I'm not so sure :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll try getting some of the PI shorts mentioned in this thread and see if it makes any difference...

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
PI are my favorite

But I have only tried three brands so far. I also have Terry (lycras) and REI's (baggy). If I have a long weekend ride coming up I make sure my PI's are clean!

Scubee, I have to agree about the sizing. I normally have to get a large (mediums are just a uncomfortable around the thigh band part) and I wear a 6 or 8 in pants and shorts. Who the heck is wearing a small?? or an X-small???!

·
~*~*~*~*~
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MallieD said:

Mallie
Beth is biking the Contintenal Divide from Canada to Mexico and I will be doing the first 9 days with her. She'll be out 70 days. I'll be on the the Canadian border to Helena MT leg of the journey.
I'd love to do the whole thing with her, but work & the mortgage company are just not being very understanding. :rolleyes:
We fly to MT June 12.

·
Registered
233 Posts
oldbroad said:
Beth is biking the Contintenal Divide from Canada to Mexico and I will be doing the first 9 days with her. She'll be out 70 days. I'll be on the the Canadian border to Helena MT leg of the journey.
Wow. You're going to have a fantastic time. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be hoping for a lot of pictures. You'll be nearing the end on my birthday so I'll send some birthday wish magic your way that your shorts treat you right!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.