Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of my fellow clydes could recommend a good pair of biking shorts? I would prefer to get some baggies, but I wouldn't mind getting lycra (since I can always where regular shorts over them). I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.

Have any of you tried the biking underwear? If so, how did you think they worked?

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Pi

For several years now, I've worn some nice Pearl Izumi black lycra ball huggers under a pair of Arizona Jeans branded cami shorts from JC Penney's.

Comfortable/fashionable....and the cami shorts are "knee length" to boot. Go to JC Penney.com and look at 'em.....you'll like what you see!

I'd take a pic, but you don't wanna see that..........

·
Premium Member
7,757 Posts
I just bought a pair of the REI brand baggies that are normally $75 on sale for $50 and they are so much better than my Fox shorts it is not even funny. I am going to get a second pair before they go off sale. They have a good eschler style chammie, zipper pockets, and get this, a zipper in front so you can pee.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
UpgradeItis said:
Try Nema Crown Jewels if you can find them on sale. Comfortable for a bike short and they hold up well.
How big are you, Unsane?

I got a relatively new pair of these Nemas, in XL or XXL(wife's asleep, they're in my closet, so I can't check ;) ) in grey I'm interested in selling. Normally $89.
My legs are too big for them. (26" thighs)
PM me if interested and I'll email ya pics.

I love love love my Pearl Izumi Voltanas...

Baggy on the outside, but mesh tights and 3D Chamois on the inside. Not restrictive. No plumbers crack either.
Normally $119, I got a 2nd pair from Performance for $89 on sale. Great zipper vents in the front and double pockets both legs. They don't snag on weeds, branches, etc easily.
Me likey.

Currently found them at Beyond Bikes for $109

I've heard great things about bibs! Never any plumber's crack.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am about 6' 240lbs. I've got about 25" thighs, so the Nemas will probably be too tight for me too. I have heard really good things so far about the Izumis. How do your Izumis hold up? Are they something you can wash after every ride or every other ride and not worry about them falling apart? I just wonder because if I spend about $100 on a pair of shorts then they will have to be my only bike shorts for a while because I am going back to school (grad school) and money is tight now and will be tighter later on. I would like to try to get 2 of something so that I don't have to wash them everyday and maybe they will hold up longer.

G

·
If you are big and/or tall, use bibs. You'll never use regular shorts again. I'm 6'3", 185 and could never get regular shorts to fit. I don't wear baggies when I'm riding, only when I'm surfing, so I couldn't speak about them.

·
Basura Blanca
1,799 Posts
Regarding the cycling underwear, it's a poor option. I've tried two brands, and the chamois is pathetic compared even to lousy lycra shorts.
- Joe

·
Slower than you...
113 Posts
NuMexJoe said:
Regarding the cycling underwear, it's a poor option. I've tried two brands, and the chamois is pathetic compared even to lousy lycra shorts.
Hear, hear! I second this - all the liners I've seen have been way skimpy on the chamois. My recommendation is a decent pair of lycras topped with a stretchy gym short.

Three good things:

1) You're posting in the Clyde section, so you most likely know that not everyone should wear lycra. The last time I wore lycra-only, some enviro-nutjobs from Greenpeace tried to push me back in the water.

2) Gym shorts are cheap. Lycra's & baggie cycle shorts ain't. If something's gonna get torn up, let it be the cheap stuff.

3) In the event you do rip up your shorts, you've always got the option to flip the gym shorts around backwards for the ride home - preserving modesty & lessening the chance that you'll emotionally scar your trail-mates.

tdh

·
Registered
107 Posts
low cost bibs

I had forgot to mention in my previous post that I have great luck with performance brand bibs. there top of the line ones go on sale frequently for $50-$60 they are U.S.A. made and mine have lasted forever. after 5 or six years I use them under my mx pants for dirt biking

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
Unsane said:
I am about 6' 240lbs. I've got about 25" thighs, so the Nemas will probably be too tight for me too. I have heard really good things so far about the Izumis. How do your Izumis hold up? Are they something you can wash after every ride or every other ride and not worry about them falling apart? I just wonder because if I spend about $100 on a pair of shorts then they will have to be my only bike shorts for a while because I am going back to school (grad school) and money is tight now and will be tighter later on. I would like to try to get 2 of something so that I don't have to wash them everyday and maybe they will hold up longer.
They're holding up great. No snags, still look new. As soon as I saw them onsale for $89 at Performance, I scooped them up.

As with all my biking gear.....Cold wash, hang dry.
Escpecially my jersies.
Pearls are by far the best fitting jersies. Length and Width!! XXL!
Nothing else has come close (Primal, Adrenaline (College Jersey), Velo, Performance, etc.)

Bibs will probably be the most economical if you can get them.
Wear them underneath other, cheaper shorts for protection and they should last longer as people have said.

I've heard Assos are the best bibs,

but at $250 a piece, they better rub me the right way, you know whatta mean.... wink, wink ;)

I only tried Pearl Bibs, but didn't like how they felt. But the absolute no plumber's crack would be enticing (not that you'll have that with the Pearl Voltanas above)

Run by your LBS and check em out.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
tdhood said:
Hear, hear! I second this - all the liners I've seen have been way skimpy on the chamois. My recommendation is a decent pair of lycras topped with a stretchy gym short.

Three good things:

1) You're posting in the Clyde section, so you most likely know that not everyone should wear lycra. The last time I wore lycra-only, some enviro-nutjobs from Greenpeace tried to push me back in the water.

2) Gym shorts are cheap. Lycra's & baggie cycle shorts ain't. If something's gonna get torn up, let it be the cheap stuff.

3) In the event you do rip up your shorts, you've always got the option to flip the gym shorts around backwards for the ride home - preserving modesty & lessening the chance that you'll emotionally scar your trail-mates.

tdh
ding, ding....we have a winner!!

Great advice and logic!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all the input. I think I will go and check out the bibs, although I think they look kinda funny to me. But who cares as long as I'm comfortable and most people shouldn't even see them with the other clothes over the top of them. If I don't really like those I think I will go the lycra/gym short route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bibs for the Bigger Guys

Folks,
I too prefer bibs and I think you can wear some regular shorts over the bibs. Much more
comfortable than cycling shorts, they never roll down and the straps feel like they are
holding me in place. There is the slight problem of going to the bathroom however.

As for bibs, I have tried various brands, but have had good luck with the Performance
Elite (at the time it was their most expensive model) and Pace ITS-100. Pace now
has some nicer bibs and they are comparable in price to Performance.

Cannondale makes nice bibs as well, although a little on the small side for XL. As for
Pearl Izumi, I cannot wear them I find their lycra does not breath. Nicest lycra has to
be Castelli, it feels better than silk. But the pad is average and the durability is suspect.

Kind regards,
Dimitri

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Unsane said:
I am about 6' 240lbs. I've got about 25" thighs, so the Nemas will probably be too tight for me too.
I'm 6'5, 270 and my thighs are a little bigger than yours (26+") and the Nema Crown Jewels are my favorites. So far they are the only baggies that I have that I would buy again before looking elsewhere. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi baggies and they are probably the tightest on my thighs of all my baggies, but they are a decent short. No substitute for trying them on first if possible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
$5 Walmart Cotton Short work great

Unless you are spending over two hours a day riding, you probably aren't going to chafe much. I spend $5 on the Walmart brand and usually choose them over the lycra and baggies in the closet, unless I know it is going to be a death march. The pockets are good for keeping stuff on you while in a mountain bike position. The $5 tees are pretty good too and you won't look like a geek if you ride to the grocery or the barbershop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.