Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most of you guys wear pants or shorts when you ride?
Does it depend on the kind of riding?

And can someone be kind enough to decifer the abbreviations of XC,FR, DH (I guess that's downhill) but there are a few others that I don't know.

Do most people wear MORE than just a helmet for going on path gravel trails or intermidiate level trails.
When do you start wearing the full shape helmet and pads..aside from competition style of course.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
BX02 said:
Do most of you guys wear pants or shorts when you ride?
Does it depend on the kind of riding?

And can someone be kind enough to decifer the abbreviations of XC,FR, DH (I guess that's downhill) but there are a few others that I don't know.

Do most people wear MORE than just a helmet for going on path gravel trails or intermidiate level trails.
When do you start wearing the full shape helmet and pads..aside from competition style of course.

Thanks
Where shorts, lycra pants a criminal unless you are racing XC

XC = Cross Country
FR = Free Ride
DH = Down Hill
SS = Single Speed
AM = All Mountain

You should always ride with a helmet and gloves. If you move into the FR / DH arena of riding style, it is a good idea to wear a full face helmet. Many AM riders are doning full face helmets............

Now I am not going to give descriptions on each of the above catergories. Use the search tool and do some research, you will learn far more. There is more information on the website than you can poke a stick at.................

The Bestest Coolest Most Best a Rooney magazine to learn from is Mountain Bike Action (MBA) :eek: :thumbsup: :p :D :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whafe said:
Where shorts, lycra pants a criminal unless you are racing XC

XC = Cross Country
FR = Free Ride
DH = Down Hill
SS = Single Speed
AM = All Mountain

You should always ride with a helmet and gloves. If you move into the FR / DH arena of riding style, it is a good idea to wear a full face helmet. Many AM riders are doning full face helmets............

Now I am not going to give descriptions on each of the above catergories. Use the search tool and do some research, you will learn far more. There is more information on the website than you can poke a stick at.................

The Bestest Coolest Most Best a Rooney magazine to learn from is Mountain Bike Action (MBA) :eek: :thumbsup: :p :D :D
TYhanks a lot friend..you've been more than helpful...no need to have written more..
Thanks again.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
BX02 said:
TYhanks a lot friend..you've been more than helpful...no need to have written more..
Thanks again.:thumbsup:
Your more than welcome, you will find some super helpful people on this site, real good....

And I was taking the p i s s out of MBA, that mag is not my cup of tea............

Keep the posts coming, and ride and ride and ride.......................Enjoy

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wear some baggy cargo-style shorts over a liner when it's warm, and when the temperature drops, some track-style pants, with the right leg lashed to my calf. As for the helmet thing, roadies tend to have the most "aero" styled helmets, XC/AM/FR tends to be the "normal" MTB helmets, often to include a visor of some type, DJ (Dirt Jumping) and Skate/Bike Park riders tend to wear skateboard style helmets, and DH riders usually wear full-face helmets, along with a ton of body armor.

I understand the confusion over the abbreviations, and they get worse as time goes on and the sport gets more and more specialized. FS of course is Full Suspension (but is still used by some to denote Front Suspension), HT is Hard Tail, SS is Single Speed, then I've heard SSFR (Single Speed, Fully Rigid). It'll make your head swim to read all those letters, ya know? Anyway, if you run into something to don't know, feel free to ask. Someone on here will tell you (or BS their way thru convincingly).

Welcome to the forum!

Ross

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
A lot of my local trails are pretty narrow things going through bushes and such. I usually wear long pants to prevent my legs being itchy and covered with blood after a ride. I can cope with the few scratches that a short sleeved running shirt allows: there are not so many nasty plants at that height.

Helmet and gloves: always.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.