Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just ordered an 18" Anthem 0 after reading all the messages here and riding both bikes. The 18" feels too long with the 100mm stock stem and I thought I would swap it for a 90 or 80mm.

For XC riding does anyone else have experience with a similar setup on the Anthem and can help relieve my worries that I'm turning my XC bike into a DH and jumping setup?

I've never understood why XC riders seem to use stems in the 100-130 range and after reading everything I can find on the forums I'm no closer to knowing whether it will be detrimental to my XC riding with an 80 or 90mm stem.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just went through this same thing with my new Anthem 18". I took off the 100mm and put on a 90. It did not hurt my xc riding nor will hinder yours. The bottom line is comfort. If you don't feel right then you won't be riding/racing much anyway. I can climb just as well as I did with the 100mm. In fact I am now faster on the downhills too as a result of being slighthly more upright. At least try it. You can always go back. Good luck!

·
Registered
354 Posts
.....actually the pain I felt with the longer stem was in my low back from to much of a stretch, especially after rides with a lot of climbing. When I put on the 90mm stem with the same rise ( 6 degree), I then felt neck and shoulder pain. After lots of reading and thanks to some of the info I got here on the forums, this pain was due to the fact that when you reduce your stem distance you acutually lower your forward posistion and thus becoming all hunched up and over like a vulture. So, I remedied this by moving my seat aft 4mm ( which is where I wanted to end up anyway) and now it rides like a charm...no pain anywhere:D I bought this bike in November and just now does it feel right. So, be patient and don't get frustrated. Just be sure to make small adjustments and only one at a time so you can really see what works and what doesn't. Also, give each adjustment a few rides to get used to before you decide that it does not work.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I could not picture it either. But now it makes sense. If you go to the xc racing and training forum and scroll down to 4 days ago, there is an original post by me (rocdog) regarding the same deal...stem length. The last reply has a link to Lee McCormicks site whereby he explains all the particulars. He even has a neat graph showing how a reduction in stem length requires an increase in rise. A short stem low rise combo brings your arms in and down (for lack of a non pro description). Thus you feel like you are "Digging for worms" to quote Lee. I lived this. My short stem combo killed my neck and shoulders. I originally had a 100mm 6 degree rise stem that gave me low back strain. So, I figured, go to a 90mm stem w/6 degree rise and that would shorten my reach and forward lean. That solved the back issues but brought on the neck and shoulder pain. I knew that I was going to be movning my saddle aft over the next few weeks so a 90mm was going to be the right call. I talked to a few bike shops and they said to try a 90 w/ 10degree rise. I thought no way, I am an xc racer, I can't be up at 10 degrees. So I wrote the post in the other forum (mentioned above) and got the bright idea to move the saddle aft just a bit 3-4mm thinking that would give just a little more rise but not 10 degrees. Well it worked. No more pain anywhere. My center of gravity is low and I can still climb just fine. This sport can be frustrating...especially when you are uncomfortable. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.