Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to what avid Niner riders think of this....what if your Niner had a shorter chainstay how do you think it'd affect the bike?

Asking because I like their geometry and have ridden their bikes overall. But having a frame built this winter and I have a design idea that could shorten the chainstay by .5 to a full inch. Question is.....should I?

From my experience I think it should make it climb a wee better but that said I've never ridden a really really short chainstays on a 29er or any bike (always road more stock stuff) so curious as to how all it will affect the ride. Advantages and disadvantages?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I figured out ways to make chainstays shorter than most could dream of. hardest part, finding an actual use for short chainstays that would involve the rear wheel actually rolling.
Great idea for jump bikes.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I figured out ways to make chainstays shorter than most could dream of. hardest part, finding an actual use for short chainstays that would involve the rear wheel actually rolling.
Great idea for jump bikes.
Since about half of the posts on here are about intangibles or hypotheticals, let's hear it!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
In my mind, short vs. long chainstays has more to do with ride comfort, down hill stability, mud clearance, heel clearance, and whether or not you end up with a shorter or longer wheel base. To some extent, it will also affect pedal strikes, depending on the BB drop and wheel base.

Climbing is only a small part of the equation when it comes to making your chainstays a certain length.

What I would like to see is the chainstay length adjusted to projected rider size. Shorter for short riders, longer for taller riders. Keep the body weight in relatively the same place for every size rider in relationship to the rear axle. But maybe I'm just screwy. :D :p

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Wouldn't short chainstays make standing SS climbing better by virtue of giving better traction?

Other than that (which could be pretty important if you are a SSer and climber), I'm not sure they offer as many advantages as longer ones.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
In my mind, short vs. long chainstays has more to do with ride comfort, down hill stability, mud clearance, heel clearance, and whether or not you end up with a shorter or longer wheel base. To some extent, it will also affect pedal strikes, depending on the BB drop and wheel base.

Climbing is only a small part of the equation when it comes to making your chainstays a certain length.

What I would like to see is the chainstay length adjusted to projected rider size. Shorter for short riders, longer for taller riders. Keep the body weight in relatively the same place for every size rider in relationship to the rear axle. But maybe I'm just screwy. :D :p
I agree. I am building my hardtail/rigid XC/trail/AM/whatever frames with 17.5" stays regardless of wheel size. I know that 15.4" stays on a RIGID bike are too short for reasonable stability at speed (it still hurts!).

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
OneBadWagon said:
Wouldn't shorter chainstays move your center of gravity towards the back and make it more wheelie prone? I used to try to climb on a Jamis Komodo and it was like a pogostick with the front tire.
Depends on the overall geometry of the bike. You can not point to any single frame dimension and predict how it will handle. They has to be considered as a whole.

·
Framebuilder
435 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
As a certain framebuilder likes to say.... Ted gets it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
714 Posts
shiggy said:
Depends on the overall geometry of the bike. You can not point to any single frame dimension and predict how it will handle. They has to be considered as a whole.
That's why they're called Variables, correct? I mean, if sugar tastes sweet, and you add it to your drink, regardless of what you're drinking, it would be sweeter, right?

To limit the discussion to chainstay length only, can you tell me what traits would differ between these two frames?

Assuming wheel size, tt length, sta, hta, bb drop and all else besides CS length are the same, would it not be safe to say that the short CS bike will have the center of gravity moved closer to the back tire?

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Shorter chainstays on a 29er... good or bad idea???

I've owned a Ventana El Cap for the last two years and it has a notoriously long wheel base. At first it was a little hard to manual, but I've been able to overcome it and appreciate the increased stability on downhills. Don't let anyone tell you that a long wheel base is no good in tight conditions. I live in Virginia and ride very tight trails. My bike handles it all very well.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well, I know I sure appreciate the 44.5cm chainstays on my D440, when I'm going down hill. With my shorter chainstay 26" SS, I always feel like I'm about to endo. Not the D440.
It climbs just fine, thanks, but is definitely not quite as manuerable as the 26"er is. A trade off overall, I'm happy to make.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
OneBadWagon said:
That's why they're called Variables, correct? I mean, if sugar tastes sweet, and you add it to your drink, regardless of what you're drinking, it would be sweeter, right?

To limit the discussion to chainstay length only, can you tell me what traits would differ between these two frames?

Assuming wheel size, tt length, sta, hta, bb drop and all else besides CS length are the same, would it not be safe to say that the short CS bike will have the center of gravity moved closer to the back tire?
How sweet is sweet? What is too sweet? What is not sweet enough?

Yes, the CG will move back. But to what degree and how it changes the overall handling or specific characteristics depends on the actual geometry of the bikes (including stem length and bar height), the size of the rider and their riding style. You can make general statements but they mean little until you put the rider on the bike on dirt.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Doggity said:
Well, I know I sure appreciate the 44.5cm chainstays on my D440, when I'm going down hill. With my shorter chainstay 26" SS, I always feel like I'm about to endo. Not the D440.
It climbs just fine, thanks, but is definitely not quite as manuerable as the 26"er is. A trade off overall, I'm happy to make.
You're not taking everything into account if you think that the reason your 29er is more stable going downhill than your 26er because of the length of the chainstays.

Shiggy, I know what you're talking about, but my point is that basic geometry changes do have an effect, (arguable, obvious), and agree that it takes more than any 1 ideal measurement to make a good riding bicycle.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I think the ideal 29er would have a zero inch chainstay. In fact the ideal 29er would have no chain either. And to keep it simple it must be a single speed, and have only one brake, and of course it must be a fixed gear.:madmax:

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
richwolf said:
I think the ideal 29er would have a zero inch chainstay. In fact the ideal 29er would have no chain either. And to keep it simple it must be a single speed, and have only one brake, and of course it must be a fixed gear.:madmax:
Here it is!

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
OneBadWagon said:
You're not taking everything into account if you think that the reason your 29er is more stable going downhill than your 26er because of the length of the chainstays..

Shiggy, I know what you're talking about, but my point is that basic geometry changes do have an effect, (arguable, obvious), and agree that it takes more than any 1 ideal measurement to make a good riding bicycle.
No doubt, the longer wheel base, longer and narrower footprint of the tires, and the different geometry of the D440 are also factors.

·